The Stench Of Decay

Siol has been involved in radio but was on LoA recently, before that Radio needed Cat at the helm
Pyn isn't active enough
Sam I'm not sure
UV has had many chances but he consistently falls inactive in ministries
I only recently started really standing out in any ministry and when I was offered MinComm by two of the candidates last cycle I was forced to decline.

JayDee said:
Siol has been involved in radio but was on LoA recently, before that Radio needed Cat at the helm
Pyn isn't active enough
Sam I'm not sure
I only recently started really standing out in any ministry and when I was offered MinComm by two of the candidates last cycle I was forced to decline.
Besides, last time I checked - and it has been a while, I recall Siol saying that he didn't actually want a Cabinet post in Europeia, though I suppose that might change if someone actually offered him the gig. And that's rather the issue - it's not just a function of can they do it, but would they take the job if offered, or refuse it either because inclination or time. I mean, Carrot (not a newcomer I know) has the chops to run Radio, but even if he had the time (and as I understand it, he doesn't), hasn't Carrott explicitly said he doesn't want any cabinet post?

@Aex: I don't agree - Drecq or Mal has never been my standard of comparison for any position. And I don't think that's true for many people anyway. I could be wrong, but no discussion I've had with anyone on the subject has ever held them up as the baseline measuring stick. Very few people compare well or even remotely well to them. They're just that good. Comapred to them, I know I'm a fucking potato, and I have a pretty high opinion of myself and my ability, as a rule.

JayDee said:
Pyn isn't active enough
Sam I'm not sure
Siol could have also taken up Interior. He also could have taken up radio, Cat has not had to be in Radio for this long.
Pyn is one of the most active in Culture.
Sam I think is deserving of Interior.
UV I think there were times when he could have been a Minister yet then fell to inactivity.
As for yourself that's up to you.

Siol has done a lot for recruiting but I haven't seen him in integration. It's also a bit ironic you use MoI as your example when we've had 3 newcomers as MoI in the past 4 terms. Leo was MoI twice.
Pyn is active on weekends, that's not enough
He recruits a lot for sure but I'm not sure about anything beyond that
Precisely, UV is unreliable
It is indeed

Interior is, unfortunately, one of those places where only the most driven, organized individual can make any sort of headway in 70 days. Recruitment is something we've got down to a science. Integration, on the other hand, is a VERY soft science (I can feel hyanygo's death stare as I type this), and the results of integration efforts aren't something we can quantify in such a short span. It takes a few months to get acclimated to Europeia, something to which I can attest (it took me almost 2 months to join a Ministry at all), and the integration efforts we propose shift often enough that they have no real time to take root.

Mentoring new citizens is something I've really come to enjoy here, and is something I'm good at. I would never serve as the Minister of the Interior in this region. Why? Any project I create, no matter how successful it might eventually be, will be seen as a failure, because it couldn't produce results during my term. We are Europeians, after all, and having opinions is our favorite pastime. Mentoring and Integration are NOT 70-day jobs, but we keep treating them like they are... which is why they will never be better than what we have now.

So, Siol Alse, Le Libertia, Sam111 for Minister of the Interior? It doesn't matter. This region will never give them the time or care they need to 'succeed', anyway. I wish any and all of them all the luck I can spare.

Pyntuma has exactly the energy, innovation, and downright infectious mood that I LOVE to see in Culture. By her own admission, her availability keeps her from being Minister of Culture. On the other hand, she is a VERY dependable force when it comes to her specific portfolio, and that is a strength that is good for a Ministry. Pyntuma is to Culture what CptCarrot is to Radio: Someone that has a specific niche, that is dedicated and effective. If either of them were ever willing to run their respective Ministries, I'd hire them in a heartbeat. But they're not, so until then, we look elsewhere.

Since we're talking about Cabinet posts, let me share a little secret: it is fucking hard to build a Cabinet in this region. HEM would have us believe that it is easy: grab someone that is talented and hard-working, and slot them into the spot where you want them to go. Okay, fine. Nobody knows their Ministry better than the Minister, yes? When I took over for Calvin, I approached all of the currently-serving Ministers and asked them to come up with a single name for the 'If I get hit by a bus' file. Should hell rain down, who should I find to replace them. Care to know what happened? Only 3 Ministers could name someone to replace them, and 2 of those ministers named the same person. So I looked into it and found out that the Executive is held together by about 20 people (this includes the Cabinet and the Ministries, it doesn't include the ERN or the EAAC). I see the same score of people people taking initiative, asking for work, coming up with ideas, pushing for change. That includes newcomer and old hand alike. We don't have a problem in the number of newcomers who aren't getting their shot... we have a problem in the number of citizens that are (not) actively engaged in their government.

JayDee is one of the people that deserve a shot, and has been given it (although he had to turn it down). He's had some marks against him in his time here. Some were gaffes, some were missteps, some were mistakes, and there was the occasional outright fuck-up. But he keeps trying, and I respect his tenacity, and his drive to learn from his mistakes, no matter how much the mistakes frustrated me in the past. I think, like many of our older members, he has the potential to have a long and great career here. But the core of that career is that he tries, and he learns, and he keeps trying. I don't see anyone who I can say the same of. Maybe they existed in the past, but they haven't lately.

Do we punish failure too harshly? Overall, I would say no, or we'd have tossed JayDee out on his ear by now. Do some of us enjoy cutting others down (privately counts here, there is no such thing as a secret) more than building them up? Definitely. Coherbia's flame-out is proof of that. Because having an opinion is fun, and teaching someone something is work.

HEM, I agree with you, that there is trouble in the region. I disagree that there is a systemic issue of deserving citizens who are consistently shut out, though. We are supposed to be the preeminent UCR in Nationstates. But claiming and holding on to that title takes work. From where I stand, there aren't enough of us working to really back that up. That work comes in the form of leaving behind the fear of failure, of asking for more, of proving that you're ready. For those of us who have done those things, the work is in helping the others, in overseeing and guiding, and providing real constructive advice.

Building something up takes work. And it's never going to get there (and stay there) until we all get (and keep) our hands dirty.

Most of the discussion of this article has centered around one of it's several points. Here's a tl;dr guide to the other points:

1. Europeia has not adapted to RL changes in technology and how it is used
2. New members are not being given proper opportunities to be successful in Europeia,
3. However, newcomers are also less motivated than previous generations to make themselves thrive
4. Perhaps because there is no greater vision of Europeia beyond keeping the trains running on time

Well, what is your magic solution for our use of discord? I thought you thought it was hell and not to be encouraged? Shouldn't the solution be to discourage its use for most purposes?

Unfortunately, I think most of us are looking for a dick-around political game/community, not a part-time job. The time commitment demanded for most positions these days is hardly bearable once you've moved out of the infatuation stage of your relationship with Europeia.

Kylia Quilor said:
Well, what is your magic solution for our use of discord? I thought you thought it was hell and not to be encouraged? Shouldn't the solution be to discourage its use for most purposes?
I'm growing increasingly convinced that you straight up didn't read my article. :lol: I have at least one proposed solution in the text.

The answer at this point is adopt to Discord, not resist. It's a part of a wider mobile culture that isn't going away any time soon. We should've give up on the forum, but content should but written mobile-friendly, which means shorter and more tl;dr.

HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:
I'm growing increasingly convinced that you straight up didn't read my article. :lol: I have at least one proposed solution in the text.

The answer at this point is adopt to Discord, not resist. It's a part of a wider mobile culture that isn't going away any time soon. We should've give up on the forum, but content should but written mobile-friendly, which means shorter and more tl;dr.
So... dumbing it down?

I don't play Europeia to have shorter content. I don't Play NS so we can try to keep things short for people who can't be arsed to read a long post if a long post is the best way to make the relevant point(s).

I mean, I know I've always argued variations of this notion, but again, if people need a tl;dr to get into our politics, do we want them running for office or engaging in our politics?

Also, HEM, it's been several days since you posted the thing. God forbid I ddin't memorize it.

Kylia Quilor said:
HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:

So... dumbing it down?

I don't play Europeia to have shorter content. I don't Play NS so we can try to keep things short for people who can't be arsed to read a long post if a long post is the best way to make the relevant point(s).

I mean, I know I've always argued variations of this notion, but again, if people need a tl;dr to get into our politics, do we want them running for office or engaging in our politics?

Also, HEM, it's been several days since you posted the thing. God forbid I ddin't memorize it.
I had my suspicions from the start based on your responses, but further comments have pretty much confirmed it. Interesting that a person advocating for long-form content, at best, gave my article a somewhat judicious skim. :ph43r:

Shorter doesn't mean dumber. This is the kinda nonsense that got us laws that read like olde english. "Start of the term", "1/4 of the term", "1/2 of the term", "3/4 of the term" addresses are perhaps the least effective government communication technique...ever, and they also prioritize length over quality or information relayed. Our platforms are longer than ever, but could be easily shortened and still contain the essential information.

The idea that we have two options: vapid short content, or longform deep content, is pretty silly and not backed up by evidence.

HEM said:
The idea that we have two options: vapid short content, or longform deep content, is pretty silly and not backed up by evidence.
Agreed.

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
HEM said:
Agreed.
Didn't need 20,000 words to say that? :p

HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:
HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:

So... dumbing it down?

I had my suspicions from the start based on your responses, but further comments have pretty much confirmed it. Interesting that a person advocating for long-form content, at best, gave my article a somewhat judicious skim. :ph43r:

Shorter doesn't mean dumber. This is the kinda nonsense that got us laws that read like olde english. "Start of the term", "1/4 of the term", "1/2 of the term", "3/4 of the term" addresses are perhaps the least effective government communication technique...ever, and they also prioritize length over quality or information relayed. Our platforms are longer than ever, but could be easily shortened and still contain the essential information.

No, I read it the first time, HEM. I just didn't memorize it. Nor did I re-read it since the first read. So maybe stop pretending you know what I do on this end of the computer screen.

There are many times when longer posts are a more useful and effective way to make a comprehensive point. Europeia is not a simple place, and complexity means longer platforms are needed, more things need to be discussed in speeches and thus they get longer.

Europeia isn't hard, but it isn't simple either. Your solution isn't a solution.

Kylia Quilor said:
HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:
HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:

So... dumbing it down?

No, I read it the first time, HEM. I just didn't memorize it. Nor did I re-read it since the first read. So maybe stop pretending you know what I do on this end of the computer screen.

There are many times when longer posts are a more useful and effective way to make a comprehensive point. Europeia is not a simple place, and complexity means longer platforms are needed, more things need to be discussed in speeches and thus they get longer.

Europeia isn't hard, but it isn't simple either. Your solution isn't a solution.
Your just being stubborn at this point. Nothing I've proposed is worth trying? Nothing is too long? Nothing can be shortened to a more essential core?

Okay then, keep demanding the game be played only the way you like to play and you can be the last one here.

A post needs to be as long or as short as it needs to be to make its point.

Your 'solution' is that we should make everything shorter just because - because somehow things have changed so much that we have so many more Europeians who are unwilling to read longer posts. That hasn't been my experience with any of the newer Europeians I've interacted with - Monkey, LL, even Snowball, just off the top.

A push to make things shorter for the sake of shorter-ness is not a solution that will create or preserve quality.

Europeians have largely abandoned the notion that longer = gooder (I didn't say longer was good, not-a-word-word used deliberately). People aren't posting long speeches or long platforms or long articles just because but because the create feels it is the most effective way to make their point. And oftentimes, they're right. Taking too much of a red pen to something simply because someone feels that it needs to be shorter is a great way to be forced to either render some parts incoherent, or cut out a lot more than you have to so you don't have half an argument dangling around. A well crafted article, platform or speech, which we get a lot of in Europeia, hinges together well and can't just have sentences or paragraphs lifted out and have the meaning be entirely the same.

So yes, have ther been posts that are too long? Of course. But nowhere near as many as you seem to be implying and arguing, and your solution, for us all to write shorter posts because it's the only way to engage people who for whatever reason are unwilling to read something long, isn't much of a solution at all.

Tl; dr - sorry, shorten it up so I don't have to read next time ok?

When I joined the region, it was easy to get a job, and the jobs were fun because this is game and having fun was a point. Now it is fairly difficult to get a job, everything is super institutionalized, and the public demand for excellence is so high and everyone is so, so awful to each other, that this game isn't fun. I don't want a real job, I want to play a game. This place isn't a game anymore.

Nationstates used to be like LEGOs. You build it up and make your region cool and special and whatnot, and then you break it apart and do it again. We used to revel in the challenge of letting newbies run the show for a bit, or given random crazy characters a chance, because it was fun. And we knew we could always pick up the pieces later. But now? Please. This place is a finished product.

I honestly don't even know why any of you play anymore.

Back