Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
The Stench of Decay
HEM Tiberius
Op-Ed

In 2008, an up-and-coming citizen named Solimaria gave a rousing speech about the state of Europeian society. He condemned the region as disappointing, stagnant, and boring. However, as citizens went through the litany of his complaints, they slowly discredited both the message and the messenger. While Europeia was slightly less active since the previous Fall, we had just emerged from an activity depression that saw the Republic on the brink of martial law. The region had also just added three active newcomers, which was an influx almost unheard of in our recent history.

So as it turned out, Solimaria's speech wasn't wholly appropriate for the circumstances of 2008. Maybe, though, it would be more appropriate for the circumstances of 2017.

_

"I am tired of tuning onto the forums and finding nothing is happening. I am tired of the lack of initiative. I am tired of seeing Europeia become the most boring, politically correct place ever. What happened to great leadership that inspired us into patriotism? What happened to great leadership that stood up to the bad guys? What happened to Europeia being the haven for every democracy loving intellectual?

I don't care if you are a communist, or a fascist, a liberal or a conservative. I don't care if you cheer for Red Sox or Yankees, this has got to stop. We are bloodletting our influence internationally and disappointing so many newcomers."

_

There is no accurate way to measure how much activity Europeia creates today. So far this year Europeia is averaging about 8000 forum posts a month. That puts us slightly above our lifetime average of roughly 7000 posts a month.

However, with the rise of Discord, the amount of Europeia-associated activity is almost assuredly at history breaking levels. There is no way to categorize the content created in #eurochat and other rooms on Europeia's discord. Furthermore, the lines of where Europeia ends and where the rest of the internet begins are fading fast. Many Europeians have private non-regional associated chats that are not officially associated with the region, but almost definitely discuss regional topics upon occasion and involve regional members.

It is not a stretch then to claim that Europeia is almost certainly the most active that we have ever been in our history. The quality of that activity, and what it bodes for our region, are certainly up for debate.
_

In the June Presidential election there were 85 votes. There were 85 people who were politically aware enough to case a ballot between the three tickets facing the electorate.

Another major political event happened in June. Perhaps one of the most important political events to happen in years within Europeia. The region was debating the role of the Supreme Chancellery, and whether the institution should be dismantled into the history books and swept away. This was a pretty important debate for the region. If one wasn't chiming in on this debate, what topics would motivate one to involve themselves politically?

31 citizens made at least one post in the primary Citizens' Assembly thread discussing the proposal to remove the Supreme Chancellors. Out of the 85 people who vast a vote in the most recent election, only 36% of them bothered to express an opinion on the most important political debate in the last several years.

Of the 31 who contributed, the average join date was 2012. This meant that the average participant in the discussion had been in the region for five years. This is a pretty drastic skew toward old members, as past ENN surveys have consistently shown a 50/50 split between members who joined before 2014, and members who joined in 2014 or after.
_

There is no doubt that the Europeia of 2017 will be radically different from the Europeia of years past. We have become a part of the mobile culture where interactions are fast and speed is prioritized. I don't have a breakdown of our users by mobile/desktop over time, but I suspect if I did, more people would be accessing Europeia on their smartphones than ever before.

This means we have to adapt in some ways. People are going to be less likely to get their news from long-form posts like this, and more likely to hear regional gossip from their friends on Discord. Indeed, when forum posts do get substantial traffic it is often from a thread having been posted on Discord for consumption.

This is not wholly a negative thing, but it does mean the reprioritizing of our communications agenda. The custom of "addresses" from Ministers at various points in the term are probably fruitless endeavors. However, it has never been easier to recruit for a project among a pool of excited newcomers.

Part of our failure to engage new members has been to realize this shifting paradigm, and alter our structure accordingly.
_

Another part of our failure is failing to fully grasp how the professionalization of our region has impacted integration. Five years ago, someone who was reasonably sane and wholly active could snag a Cabinet-level post within a month of joining. Today, many members of our region have their noses pressed against a government that is seemingly never interested in them.

In reality, two of our three branches of government are inaccessible to moderate-commitment members. The Senate, a once storied institution that was seen as the people's house, has been reduced to a committee of people who polish legislation rather than lead a region. Serving in the Senate means you have to be, or aspire to be, a master law-writer. That branch of government is effectively out for anyone who doesn't want to spend hours learning how to do that.

The judicial branch is even more exclusive. When former Speaker Aexnidaral was nominated to the bench he faced widespread criticism of his experience level, even though he personally held more experience than most of the people criticizing him combined.

That leaves the executive as the only possible means of advancement for the moderate-commitment player. This has left the executive branch as an unyielding bloat of Assistant Ministers and Deputy Ministers that scarcely anyone can fathom to manage. Players sign up for Assistant Minister positions, but never get the experience to move up, leading to frustration and personal resignation.
_

And all of this might be quickly amendable if our region was currently pursuing something. If there was something super exciting that would get members passionate and moving. But the truth is, Europeia tends to shy away from big projects and not in recent history has any politician had the political capital or seen a need to rally the region around anything.

Instead, the function of government seems to be keeping the trains continually running on time. For what purpose? Nobody is sure. The trains keep leaving the same stations with the same passengers—always on time—but never any destination in mind.
_

This is not a problem caused by any single politician, nor should this article be seen as an attack on the current administration.

Quite simply, Europeia needs to adapt to new technological realities to reclaim the interest of younger members. We must also provide these young members with real chances to be leaders in our community—not training programs.

On the other hand, newer members should also give more back to their community by being more political. The social side of this region doesn't exist without the political side. If there is no government, there is no recruitment, there is no #eurochat.

And together, we must all set a larger vision for Europeia. There has to be something new we can do. Our law system is near perfection, our judicial system is the envy of the world, what's next?

I'm so sorry for thinking that one of the prides of our region, the Judiciary, needs to be kept in the hands of the capable, HEM. And I don't need judicial experience to know who also doesn't have it. I recognize my limits and don't buck for jobs I can't do.

Kylia Quilor said:
I'm so sorry for thinking that one of the prides of our region, the Judiciary, needs to be kept in the hands of the capable, HEM. And I don't need judicial experience to know who also doesn't have it. I recognize my limits and don't buck for jobs I can't do.
My point wasn't that that is a problem, but the fact that 2/3rds of the region's positions are not accessible to everyday Europeians needs to be addressed.

HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:
My point wasn't that that is a problem, but the fact that 2/3rds of the region's positions are not accessible to everyday Europeians needs to be addressed.
The Judiciary SHOULD be inaccessible to everyday Europeians. It should be a high-class elite people have to work for.

And honestly, new people do get into the cabinet a lot - Darc, DH, Coerhbia, LL, Leo was getting into Cabinet posts like 2 months after he joined, IIRC.

As for the Senate... you have a point, except that the Senate's actual job is still to make law, and to approve nominees. Which we mostly rubber stamp (which can bite us) anyway, so - well, we want people that know how to law write. But we still elect new people into the Senate plenty of times - including this time around.

I think you're overemphasizing things quite a bit. We have a LOT of new people, and they can't all get the positions.

Kylia Quilor said:
HEM said:
Kylia Quilor said:
The Judiciary SHOULD be inaccessible to everyday Europeians. It should be a high-class elite people have to work for.

And honestly, new people do get into the cabinet a lot - Darc, DH, Coerhbia, LL, Leo was getting into Cabinet posts like 2 months after he joined, IIRC.

As for the Senate... you have a point, except that the Senate's actual job is still to make law, and to approve nominees. Which we mostly rubber stamp (which can bite us) anyway, so - well, we want people that know how to law write. But we still elect new people into the Senate plenty of times - including this time around.

I think you're overemphasizing things quite a bit. We have a LOT of new people, and they can't all get the positions.
That was only one of several points made in this article, which is meant to be a treatise on the challenges facing us.

Also, to be frank, I don't see 4-5 "new" members in Cabinet over the course of 9 months to be particularly good integration.

Those were just examples off the top of my head, HEM, not an attempt at an exhaustive list.

Yes, but your notion that these are signs of a mismanagement of newcomers is at the heart of your article - and I'm disputing that central thrust.

The only good point you made is a general 'keep the trains running' idea, but every time someone does have a bold idea, it's either not actually that bold, or a rehash of an idea we all know is bad from experience, or shot down by everyone else with their own pet bold idea.

And call me Kareful Kylia if you want, but I'd rather we keep the trains running on the current tracks then risk send them careening off a badly designed bridge for the sake of new.

EDIT: I mean, What Bold ideas even are there that could actually *work*? You answer that, and you've just won Europeia.

Kylia Quilor said:
Those were just examples off the top of my head, HEM, not an attempt at an exhaustive list.

Yes, but your notion that these are signs of a mismanagement of newcomers is at the heart of your article - and I'm disputing that central thrust.

The only good point you made is a general 'keep the trains running' idea, but every time someone does have a bold idea, it's either not actually that bold, or a rehash of an idea we all know is bad from experience, or shot down by everyone else with their own pet bold idea.

And call me Kareful Kylia if you want, but I'd rather we keep the trains running on the current tracks then risk send them careening off a badly designed bridge for the sake of new.

EDIT: I mean, What Bold ideas even are there that could actually *work*? You answer that, and you've just won Europeia.
I'm not sure you can construe the fact we haven't adapted our region for the fact that 2/3rds of the government now has insane barriers to entry as anything but mismanagement. Though I suppose you've already explained your central thesis as: "it's no big deal if new members can't get involved because 'there aren't enough positions.'" :ph43r:

I have a few ideas I'd like to throw out, but I don't think this is the place. I'd rather keep the focus of the discussion on the points made in the article presently, and not get totally derailed by potentially controversial ideas I may have.

I dont disagree with many parts of this. Other parts however... .
The 2/3rds of the Government is part of that. First of all, yes 2 out of 3 branches have somewhat higher experience requirements, with the Judiciary usually taken to require a high level of experience and knowledge (though you bringing up Aex there is hilarious since he isnt someone with a moderate or small amount of judiciary experience that we could have taken a shot on or a really experienced prior member of the judiciary, hes an experienced member with zero previous experience or interest in the judiciary, so he works neither as an example of what I assume you want us to aim for nor as an example of what you say we are doing wrong), and the Senate requires at least minimal knowledge of the regions workings and some skill in legislating because as it turns out laws are important things that we cant just ignore because they are inconvenient and we shouldnt just leave broken for the next Senate to fix because the current one is just a little light on skill or experience. That still leaves the Executive, which with 10 people currently in elected or nominated positions means there are actually 50% of positions not in the Senate or the Judiciary (8 Ministers+Pres+VP=10 vs 6 Senators+4 Justices)(so not 1/3rd). But really the thing here is that with the region growing and a lot of things becoming institutionalized and professionalized most of these positions are now managerial. There is a bunc of subcabinet work under them that people can and should try. While we raised the requirements for Minister we also expanded the amount of relevant subcabinet areas. I dont disagree that we should further increase them and create more semi-official positions to manage them. Designated deputies for relevant policy areas in each ministry with each Deputy working essentially as a little Minister with AMs beneath them is an idea. The right way, imo, is to create more positions between the starter AM and the expert Minister for people to transition through and work in. Decreasing requirements for Cabinet, Senate, or the Court isnt the right way to go though.

Non-strictly enforced quotas? The first thing that came to my mind and of course, it is not any good :p

But really, the point you raise should be taken seriously and given the highest attention possible. And also, take into account that the circulation of the same faces in government is only going to raise that experience gap.

I have often felt that our government in terms of size has not kept up with the population increases. Rather than consider the fact that government in a region is a part of the service we provide to members (ie: the ability to run and be appointed to positions is a huge draw to Europeia), we tend to only obsess over how functional it is. So we do not look at the off-site experience as a service we offer to our denizens.

People also continuously over-estimate how difficult the positions are and how steep the requirements are. I think it is based on a psychological bias where it's like "well, -I'm- in these positions and obviously now I am the bees knees so obviously you have to be awesome to hold these positions" (Above-Average Effect aka Illusory Superiority). In truth, most of these positions can be done by people with little experience.

As well, I think we are overly obsessed with failure and are overly cautious as a result of it. We are not innovators like Americans are; we simply do not have that risk based culture. We tend to err on the side of caution in the face of perceived risk and uncertainty. Suggest that we should have a larger Senate and the usual suspects will freak out because of the risks and uncertainty they associate with it. We are a very conservative region that tends to over-estimate how difficult positions as part of the tendency to feel more special or valuable than we are.

The cognitive bias I think at fault for how difficult we assume these positions are would be the Above-Average Effect; more commonly known as Illusory superiority.

Americans aren't all that innovative when it comes to government, Rach. We still hold onto the Electoral College because that's what we've always had.

I don't think we're too obsessed with failure - the risks of failure are real, as we've seen with substandard senates (such as the one I was just in last term, which, as I've said, I bear some blame for), substandard Presidents and substandard ministers.

And for all that you complain we have too small Senates, I notice that we don't generally have enough people running to support that number. If you build it they will come is a nice idea, but there's a heck of a lot of people that aren't even trying.

The problem with this article and your arguments, Rach, is that you're asserting that Europeia is hard and that we've made it too hard, but the fact is, we haven't and it isn't. We haven't lowered our standards and new people are still getting involved, doing their thing, taking part in the process. To make it in Europeia, you just need to pur your shoulder into the effort and be willing to listen and engage your brain a little. And, to be fair, have a bit of courage. A lot of people are too afraid of failing to even try - if you want to fix a problem, that's the one to fix, not push some arbitrary notion that 'OHHHH WE NEED LARGER SENATES AND MORE NEWCOMERS IN CABINET!'

If we want to make the path to rising through the ranks clearer, Drecq is right that we need a more delinated bureaucracy, something I've pushed for before but no one ever seemed to wanted to support. We need clear deputies with specific portfolios.

The other problem with the 'new people in cabinet' problem is that for some ministries, there just aren't a lot of people who are both able to the job, even to a modicum standard like you're talking about, and who are *willing* to do it, either because the genuinely want the gig or because they have the time for it.

The problem is you and HEM don't have a solution - just 'NEW PEOPLE!' and 'STOP BEING AFRAID OF FAILURE', which isn't much of anything, really.

Kylia Quilor said:
Americans aren't all that innovative when it comes to government, Rach. We still hold onto the Electoral College because that's what we've always had.

I don't think we're too obsessed with failure - the risks of failure are real, as we've seen with substandard senates (such as the one I was just in last term, which, as I've said, I bear some blame for), substandard Presidents and substandard ministers.

And for all that you complain we have too small Senates, I notice that we don't generally have enough people running to support that number. If you build it they will come is a nice idea, but there's a heck of a lot of people that aren't even trying.

The problem with this article and your arguments, Rach, is that you're asserting that Europeia is hard and that we've made it too hard, but the fact is, we haven't and it isn't. We haven't lowered our standards and new people are still getting involved, doing their thing, taking part in the process. To make it in Europeia, you just need to pur your shoulder into the effort and be willing to listen and engage your brain a little. And, to be fair, have a bit of courage. A lot of people are too afraid of failing to even try - if you want to fix a problem, that's the one to fix, not push some arbitrary notion that 'OHHHH WE NEED LARGER SENATES AND MORE NEWCOMERS IN CABINET!'

If we want to make the path to rising through the ranks clearer, Drecq is right that we need a more delinated bureaucracy, something I've pushed for before but no one ever seemed to wanted to support. We need clear deputies with specific portfolios.

The other problem with the 'new people in cabinet' problem is that for some ministries, there just aren't a lot of people who are both able to the job, even to a modicum standard like you're talking about, and who are *willing* to do it, either because the genuinely want the gig or because they have the time for it.

The problem is you and HEM don't have a solution - just 'NEW PEOPLE!' and 'STOP BEING AFRAID OF FAILURE', which isn't much of anything, really.
This sums up why we don't see many newcomers in the Cabinet or Senate. This kind of arrogance and effectively saying that newcomers are lazy.

I can think of many newcomers who deserve a chance in the Cabinet, who have worked damn hard and should have been given a chance in government, yet time and time again, the region prefers to pick a boring safe pair of hands. I agree that we shouldn't just give positions to newcomers because they have done a bit of work and sometimes you are better off placing a old face in government. Yet too many times we choose to ignore new players who are worthy of a shot in government due to the fear that they might not be amazing.

I think that if we were to elected each individual Cabinet position we would see many more newer players in the Cabinet. I think we would see a number of players run for the same position, I think the region would finally see that there are many newer players here who are able to lead a Ministry and do a good job.

What arrogance? I never said all newcomers are lazy - there are plenty that *are* putting in the work and get a commesurate reward in position. Laziness is not unique to newcomers. But this notion that we are making things too hard for newcomers is nonsense, because Europeia isn't hard. That, or the newcomers who have risen up are just that amazing and perfect, which seems unlikely. Like I also said, another problem is fear - for reasons that escape me (but then I've never cared what people think of me) lots of newcomers are afraid to put themselves out there. That's a thing to fix, not this 'we must put in newcomers because newcomers.

If we elected them all, yeah, of course we'd have more newcomers. But elections don't even remotely garuntee quality of person in them, nor do they even require any experience in the field you're being elected for, as it turns out.

Give us some names. Tell us who you'd put in the cabinet if you were president. Tell us these mysterious newcomers that A) Can do the job and B) want the job.

Europeia is. Not. Hard. Rising to a Senate seat or a cabinet posting isn't hard if you know what you're doing.

EDIT: I'm also gonna say this. I have many issues with HEM's article, but at least you're sharing your gripes and grievances loudly and publicly. Now I just need you to name some names. We need to be clear about who we mean when we complain. Gotta stop all this fakeness.

Kylia Quilor said:
What arrogance? I never said all newcomers are lazy - there are plenty that *are* putting in the work and get a commesurate reward in position. Laziness is not unique to newcomers. But this notion that we are making things too hard for newcomers is nonsense, because Europeia isn't hard. That, or the newcomers who have risen up are just that amazing and perfect, which seems unlikely. Like I also said, another problem is fear - for reasons that escape me (but then I've never cared what people think of me) lots of newcomers are afraid to put themselves out there. That's a thing to fix, not this 'we must put in newcomers because newcomers.

If we elected them all, yeah, of course we'd have more newcomers. But elections don't even remotely garuntee quality of person in them, nor do they even require any experience in the field you're being elected for, as it turns out.

Give us some names. Tell us who you'd put in the cabinet if you were president. Tell us these mysterious newcomers that A) Can do the job and B) want the job.

Europeia is. Not. Hard. Rising to a Senate seat or a cabinet posting isn't hard if you know what you're doing.

EDIT: I'm also gonna say this. I have many issues with HEM's article, but at least you're sharing your gripes and grievances loudly and publicly. Now I just need you to name some names. We need to be clear about who we mean when we complain. Gotta stop all this fakeness.
The median join date of a Cabinet member today is 2012. That means your surest bet to getting into Cabinet is having at least 5 years of experience.

There are currently two Cabinet members who joined after 2014. There is currently one who has joined in 2017.

Your position seems to be that the region still exists, trains are still running on time, so there isn't a problem.

My problem is there is wasted potential productivity. Back when Europeia was founded, we had almost full productivity because any active member was essentially given a job. This is not ideal, certainly. However, now we have a situation where plenty of members who could be productive aren't because there is no job of substance open to them. We are leaving money on the counter. There's gotta be a better way to do this.

Slightly unrelated, and I'm unsure how to write or speak about this eloquently-- but often times it seems that we play a zero sum game where we compare candidates for Office (especially ones we don't like personally) to far-outclassing members like Malashaan and Drecq. I recall vividly in one of my Senate elections where I was thrashed for, in effect, not being as good as Malashaan is. It's perfectly fine to have high standards of what you believe defines "qualified", but to compare people directly to some of our most prolific members is silly. Not every candidate is going to be a body-double of an existing politician or leader-- nor should they be.

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
Slightly unrelated, and I'm unsure how to write or speak about this eloquently-- but often times it seems that we play a zero sum game where we compare candidates for Office (especially ones we don't like personally) to far-outclassing members like Malashaan and Drecq. I recall vividly in one of my Senate elections where I was thrashed for, in effect, not being as good as Malashaan is. It's perfectly fine to have high standards of what you believe defines "qualified", but to compare people directly to some of our most prolific members is silly. Not every candidate is going to be a body-double of an existing politician or leader-- nor should they be.
This post is interesting, honestly, but its not nearly as high-quality as an in-depth r3n or NES post. Sorry, not going to read further posts by you.

:eek:rly:

Lethen said:
Aexnidaral Seymour said:
This post is interesting, honestly, but its not nearly as high-quality as an in-depth r3n or NES post. Sorry, not going to read further posts by you.

:eek:rly:
crying.emoji

JayDee, Sam, Siol, Pyn, UV would be the first that spring to mind.

EDIT: I would have also put XIV in that first list, however he has served in the Cabinet before just not very long unfortunately due to real life issues.

Back