Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
The Rise of Falconias

"If you're going to shoot the king, don't miss."

INTRODUCTION.:

This written mini-series is meant to cover the rise of President Falconias, a deeply controversial figure in Europeian politics who is ill-remembered in the region. While history judges Falconias very harshly, the vast majority of his tenure in Europeia was met with a sharply divided electorate.

Falconias' political rise is particularly relevant with the ascension of Donald J. Trump to the Presidency of the real life United States. While this work certainly does not assert that Falconias had any prejudiced views toward minority groups, he did have a fiery disdain for the establishment, making a comparison between the two figures both possible and relevant.

Falconias began his career as a con-man in Europeia. He registered in the region under the name "Champagne Jam" and made his mark as a quirky newcomers who quickly rose through the ranks. With assistance of Onderkelkia and others, however, it became clear that Champange Jam was not who he said he was.

Even as the Europeian old guard (or perhaps "elite" if you want to term it that way) attempted to blackball Champange Jam from every being politically relevant again, Falconias spent the next year rebuilding his credibility and political capital. Eventually, to the absolute horror of the Europeian elite, he attained the office of President.

This project will tell that story. For the purposes of clarity, I will be telling it in the third person.

Part I:

Before Everything Else.:

Champagne Jam registered on the forum and applied for citizenship on October 8th, 2008. The region was toward the start of Pez201's Presidential administration, and Pope Lexus's original Speakership.

Europeia had just quieted down from the drama brought upon the region by the antics of Renposa. Senator Renposa had been a charismatic, ambitious individual in the region who quickly befriended HEM and other elites in the region. The end of the summer had brought forth a mini populist rebellion with a handful of natives from the Regional Message Board Community seeking to expand political freedoms from the region's traditional political institutions.

Members like SUSUN and Jammy95 sought to de-emphasize the forum government, and transfer some political power to the nations on Nationstates.net.

"You want an active region and a large population - so let the whole Population have a vote on WA Delegate ! They don't all have time for the forum or time to read all the Laws. More activity on RMB will increase involvement also and in turn may increase forum. There are a lot more Nations Not on forums then on IT and they SHOULD be heard!" (SOURCE)

— SUSUN speaking in favor of legislation to allow nations without forum accounts to vote on resolutions

Renposa had full-heartedly endorsed this populist movement, as well as carefully courted the support of the old guard in Europeia. When Renposa declared his intention to seek the Presidency in September of 2008, he was virtually unchallenged.

However, Renposa was his own undoing. Unable to count on Europeia for his sole avenue of Nationstates political success, he founded an inter-regional organization with a nebulous purpose. The Enterprise of Inter-Regional Affairs (1) promised to be a secret organization that would "make the Illuminati look like a joke."

Even while maintaining their public endorsements, many Europeian establishment figures looked for ways to take down Renposa. The Europeian Intelligence Agency (EIA) infiltrated the EoIRA, and agents tried to gain Renposa's trust to gleam his true motives. The agency quickly learned that Renposa was in close communication with Europeian outlaw, Lord Alphanesia, and the movement to permanently silence Renposa began.

In the end, it was Pope Lexus' satirical "Abstain for President" (2) campaign that finished Renposa off. Working behind the scenes, the Old Guard of Europeia had taken a rising star politician and left him completely discredited and with bankrupted political capital all in a matter of days. With crisis adverted, establishment figure Pez201 was anointed by the establishment to run unopposed and win a record landslide election. In an MSN conversation with Danoboy63 after the race, HEM remarked how much more efficient the covert takedown of Renposa was compared to the highly dramatized political conflicts of 2007 and early 2008.

Part II:

Enter Champagne Jam.:

Champagne Jam was initially known as a silly member, closely associated with his friend Lmaoofl and their quirky political party: Brick Tamland's Chocolate Squirrel Party. The party's primary objective was to protect the rights of "lamps" and was a longstanding regional joke.

After the tight November 2008 Presidential election where 7-day incumbent Pope Lexus X barely managed to squeak by Conservative darkhorse Neohabighorst, Champagne Jam announced a reformation of the BTCSP Party into the "Liberal Party" (3) and his more serious political career would begin. In January 2009, Champagne Jam was elected to the Europeian Senate:

"I want to thank Europeia for this opportunity.

I am amazed at how much respect and honour I have been given. Not only was I elected, which was a mild surprise in itself, but I was given the support of 13 Europeians (not including my own vote.) To think I have been placed among the likes of Lethen, and a vote short of Neo, Asianatic and Cordova, I am truly honoured and humbled. Coming from the smallest party in Europeia, this is truly an amazing opportunity.

I will listen to the citizens; the Grand Hall will be an influence on my votes in the Senate, and I will present bills and vote based on what's best for this glorious region rather than what's best for me and my party." (SOURCE)
—Champagne Jam thanks Europeia for his Senate victory

And with the re-election of President Pope Lexus X at the same time (Presidential and Senate election were historically held at the same time) Champagne Jam also got appointed to a coveted Cabinet position as Minister of Culture.

In the Senate, Champagne Jam pushed for stiffer mandatory recruitment quotas (4), which were very popularly received as the region's population continued to plummet from a high in early November 2008:

Because of the declining population, his proposal was wildly popular. As Minister of Culture he organized an inter-regional recruitment contest that was one of the largest of its kind(5). In the course of four weeks, Champagne Jam went from a borderline troll citizen to a serious political player. His recruitment contest gave him credibility in immigration, culture, and foreign affairs while his amendment to the Mandatory Recruitment Act established himself as tough on recruitment.

Champagne Jam seemed to be an early favorite to face off against Minister Neohabighorst who seemed keen to run in a Presidential election without longtime competitors Pope Lexus X on the ballot. That was, until, a bombshell revelation would send his political career in a tailspin and launch the most contentious trial in Europeian history.

Coming Up Next...Part III:

The Missed Shot.:

This is a great start, looking forward to seeing the rest. I was always interested in the history of Falc, who seemed to be spoken about in hushed tones when I first joined and was learning about Euro's history.

An interesting read! I look forward to more.

Eventually, to the absolute horror of the Europeian elite, he attained the office of President.

But not surprise. You will recall how I counselled that the methods being used would eventually be our undoing, and that he was slowly winning the war of attrition. Victim tactics are a long game, but frequently a successful one.

I suppose you'll get to that, though. :p

Really enjoying the format in which this has been presented.

I consider myself personal friends with Falconias, but I've never been a fan of his in-game persona. I'm looking forward to this series.

Anumia said:
But not surprise. You will recall how I counselled that the methods being used would eventually be our undoing, and that he was slowly winning the war of attrition. Victim tactics are a long game, but frequently a successful one.
You've always been fond of bringing this "told you so" up during any discussions on Falc's time in Europeia - in private and public - but jog my memory: what were you doing during all of this besides standing on the sidelines and "counseling" us?

Lethen said:
Anumia said:
You've always been fond of bringing this "told you so" up during any discussions on Falc's time in Europeia - in private and public - but jog my memory: what were you doing during all of this besides standing on the sidelines and "counseling" us?
Opposing him where it was useful, and standing up to his actual Presidency :p

JayDee Bay said:
I would be interested in a sequel. I hate cliffhangers :popkorn:
I'm not done! I got distracted by another pet project and admin work, but more will be coming!

HEM said:
JayDee Bay said:
I'm not done! I got distracted by another pet project and admin work, but more will be coming!
*intentionally misunderstands your post*

HEM has a pet!?! What kind of pet? Do you go to the park with your pet, where you run around in jorts? :emb:

Mousebumples said:
HEM said:
JayDee Bay said:
*intentionally misunderstands your post*

HEM has a pet!?! What kind of pet? Do you go to the park with your pet, where you run around in jorts? :emb:
I do enjoy the park but we both wear jorts actually. He feeds me treats when we play chase.

Back