Statistics page and spreadsheet

r3naissanc3r

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Statistics page and spreadsheet

Quick Links: statistics page | statistics spreadsheet

What is the statistics page?

The statistics page interactively visualizes various statistics relating to regional activity and growth. The page can also be accessed from the forum header, following the link "Statistics". To see what "interactively" means, hover your mouse over the various graphs in the statistics page.

What is the statistics spreadsheet?

The statistics spreadsheet is a publicly viewable Google spreadsheet that automatically tracks the information and produces the graphs used by the statistics page. The spreadsheet location is also included in the statistics page.

When are the statistics updated?

The statistics spreadsheet is automatically updated every day at between 8:00 and 9:00 am EST (or EDT when Daylight Saving Time is in effect in the United States). The exact time may vary from day to day, and is determined by Google Apps.

The statistics page is automatically updated after the spreadsheet is, with a delay of about five minutes. The exact delay may again vary by a few minutes, and is determined by Google Apps.

Where can I find the raw data?

The raw data used to produce the graphs is available in the statistics spreadsheet. It is organized under three sheets, same as for the graphs: region statistics, forum statistics, and World Assembly statistics.

Note that if you only need to determine exact values for some specific date, you can determine that using the interactive graphs shown in the statistics page: simply hover over the corresponding graph at the date for which you need information.

How far back does the data go?

Region, forum, and some of the WA-related data currently start at November 31st, 2012, which is when the original version of the Statistics page was created. The rest of the WA-related data starts at March 24th, 2013, which is when the first set of endorsement tracking tools were made available to Europeian WA delegates.

For many of the statistics tracked by the statistics spreadsheet, data for older dates is available from other resources (mostly forum Admin CP and archived NationStates daily dumps). In the future, the spreadsheet may be updated to also include that data. In the meantime, if you need pointers to those resources, contact r3naissanc3r.

Can I edit the statistics spreadsheet?

You cannot directly edit the statistics spreadsheet yourself. However, you can either request changes, or make a copy of the spreadsheet for yourself. Read the next three items for more information.

How do I make a copy of the statistics spreadsheet?

For that you need a Google account. You can create an account here if you do not already have one.

Log into your Google account. Then, go to the statistics spreadsheet. Click on "File" at the top left, then select "Make a copy...". The copied spreadsheet will be placed into your Google Drive. You can now edit it in any way you want.

There is no data or graph for my favorite statistic. Can you add it?

Very likely yes! If there is any NationStates-related statistic you would like to see automatically tracked in the statistics spreadsheet and/or visualized in the statistics page, please post a request below. We will respond about whether it is technically feasible, and if yes, we will add it to the statistics spreadsheet and page (as RL permits, of course). Chances are we already have the data for what you need, in which case expanding the spreadsheet and page is very easy.

How do I request changes or provide feedback?

Simply make a post below. We are actively looking for suggestions on how to improve the statistics page and the statistics spreadsheet, so your feedback and ideas are appreciated.

How does the statistics spreadsheet work?

The statistics spreadsheet is serviced by a combination of code written in and running using Google Apps Script, and custom code running on the Europeian offsite server. Both codebases interact with the NationStates API. For more information, contact r3naissanc3r.

The statistics page received a major revamp. I've rewritten a large chunk of the code the page relies on, to make it more efficient and easier to extend. The graphs are now better-looking and interactive. Also, all data is now available through a convenient Google spreadsheet that you can copy and use for your own analysis.

For comparison, you can find the old statistics page here. I will delete the old page in a couple of days.

The OP contains an FAQ about the new statistics page and spreadsheet. This thread will now remain pinned, for me to announce any further updates, and for forum members to post requests and suggestions.

The Statistics page has been updated as follows:

1) The population graph also shows information about nations entering and leaving per day.
2) There is a new graph tracking number of citizens and percentage of nations that are citizens.
3) There are a couple of new graphs showing the daily and weekly number of manual telegrams sent.
4) A few of the WA-related graphs have been merged, e.g., the delegate endorsements and endorsement ratio are now shown in the same graph.
5) There are four new graphs showing WA voting statistics (historical voter turnout in the GA and SC, and hourly updates for the latest GA and SC votes).

As always, the raw data is available in the statistics spreadsheet, and you are welcome to copy it.

All comments welcome.

The Statistics page has been updated:

1) All graphs have been replaced with static images, to decrease the loading time of the page. The interactive versions are available by clicking on the graphs.
2) The graphs for number of incoming/outgoing nations have been removed from the Population graph.
3) Two new WA-related graphs have been added, one tracking voter-turnout in all WA resolutions (both GA and SC), and another comparing voter turnout in the two councils.
4) The formatting of all WA-related graphs has been updated.
5) There is now a caption for each graph.

There's some incredible work gone into the collation and analysis of these statistics, but may I make a suggestion? The graphs for the Forum Statistics could do with being adjusted a little, for example the Posts Per Day graph doesn't really show any change in the number of posts being made, since the scale of values on the y-axis is far too wide, and starts at -750000 at the bottom, meaning the variation in data is hard to see without scrolling over the chart itself. Similar problems exist with the New Members Per Day chart too.

I hope you don't mind me making these comments, like I said the amount of work gone into this is amazing.

Thanks for the comment. We know about thus problem. It's due to a change in the way the Google chart interface operates. Unfortunately, r3n is the only one with sufficient access to address the problem, and he is very busy in real life these days. It will be fixed at some point though.

I fixed most of them, except for the graphs about the current WA votes, where the X axis labels just can't be edited at all...

Back