Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his

"Sopo Wins Chance To Stay At The Helm"
HEM
Editor-In-Chief

After a spirited election, President Sopo has been given a resounding mandate of his own with 76.4% of the region lining up behind the interim President.

Sopo's journey to the Goldenblock has been an unorthodox one, being elevated to the Vice Presidency after the resignation of President Ervald and then rising to the Presidency after President Drexlore announced his intentions to step aside amid real-life concerns.

Sopo initially ascended to the Presidency in a tumultuous time, with a referendum having been called against President Drexlore immediately prior to his resignation. Many within the region were unhappy with Drexlore's indecisiveness, including in firing idle Culture Minister Vulturret — who was seen as being chronically lax in his office — as well as missteps in foreign policy. A drama involving the IJCC withdrawing from a mission with Osiris came to a head after Drexlore ignored entreaties of Osirian officials for nearly two weeks, indecisive in how to move forward.

Sopo's response abroad had been to apologize, saying in a longer statement: "Our pride should not blind us to the truth, and that truth is that Europeia’s leadership failed Osiris. It is unacceptable that their government received no response to their inquiries of our leaders. It is unacceptable that, as allies, we did not prioritize their concerns and craft a speedy response. It is unacceptable that this situation was allowed to transpire."

Many in the Europeian foreign policy apparatus felt that Sopo's statement was perhaps too conciliatory. IJCC Chairman Writinglegend has recently made a public statement, giving his version of events, saying: "Osirian leadership fails to take into account a tactful exclusion of operational objectives. When approached with the operation, it was communicated that this would be a simple tag raid, 'no long holds or anything'. There should be no reason that, five minutes before an update, it is found out that we will be ejecting natives."

"When I was informed that this operation would include the banning of natives -- information I did not find from Altino but from a third party -- I directly inquired and informed the Pharoah that this would be against the ERN's policies [...] Altino told me that the decision to longer ban natives would be 'no big deal' and that the operation could still continue. If it was no big deal, Osirian leadership would not have thrown what is equivalent of a temper-tantrum towards their ally. If they were an ally that understood and honored the spirit of our treatied agreement, there was a clear way to work around the issue. They, rather, took a confrontational and hostile approach over what is a non-issue in order to use conflict to damage our organization. The lack of diplomatic character shown was startling from what was an 'ally'."

Regardless, Sopo went on to face former Foreign Minister Izzy in a cordial election that featured only superficial differences between the two tickets in terms of policy. Sopo picked former Senator Pierce as his running mate, while Izzy tapped Grand Admiral Rachael.

Some citizens questioned Rachael's stated dislike of politics, and why she would now seek an incredibly political office. During the Vice Presidential debate, however, she addressed these concerns head-on: "I know I've stated politics aren't my thing, but Europeia is my thing. It has been for months. I know this is a small opening, but a thousand words isn't needed all the time."

The region is still awaiting victory and concession remarks from the candidates, but Vice Presidential candidate Rachael officially congratulated the winning ticket on discord, saying, "I have no idea what 'commiserations' means but good job Sopo and Pierce!"

##​

Just tryna beat the EBC ;)

Thanks all!
Lol, I don’t know if I’ve did it publicly previously but my personal outlet the ERI was founded based off the in depth articles that this outlet produces. So you may be chasing down the EBC but I am chasing down you ?

Back