Smokin' Poll

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

Over the last day or so, twenty two respondents were polled regarding their stance on issues relevant to the upcoming election for president. Below are the results. Trends observed from the last edition of Smokin' Poll are shown in parentheses.

How satisfied are you with Writinglegend's performance as president?

Very Satisfied - 31.8% (-24.7)
Somewhat Satisfied - 63.6% (+24.5)
Unsure - 4.5% (+0.2)
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 0% (-)
Very Unsatisfied - 0% (-)

The enthusiasm for the President has clearly waned as is shown by the movement of about a quarter of Europeians polled from 'very satisfied' to 'somewhat satisfied'. The popular perception is one which has observed a slow down but these numbers are still strong ones. Two months after our first poll, still not a single respondent expressed dissatisfaction with the president. His numbers have come back down to Earth but he remains a very strong and popular incumbent, just slightly more vulnerable.

How satisfied are you with Calvin Coolidge's performance as vice president?

Very Satisfied - 22.7% (+5.3)
Somewhat Satisfied - 45.5% (-6.7)
Unsure - 18.2% (+9.5)
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 13.6% (-3.8)
Very Unsatisfied - 0% (4.3)

A minute move in the right direction for Calvin here. Par for the course, as it were. He's not doing anything to improve his future electoral prospects but he's not doing anything to hurt them either. He remains slightly less popular than the top of the ticket as most vice presidents would be.

How satisfied are you with President Writinglegend's executive and judicial appointments?

Very Satisfied - 31.8%
Somewhat Satisfied - 54.5%
Unsure - 0%
Somewhat Unsatisfied - 13.6%
Very Unsatisfied - 0%

Europeians are overwhelmingly content with appointments made by Writinglegend to this point. Not ecstatic, but content.

What is most important to you when considering a presidential candidate?

Platform - 36.4% (+6)
Record - 31.8% (7.3)
Activity - 13.6% (-16.8)
All of the Above - 13.6%
Other Responses - 4.5%

Two months ago, all three criteria were more or less in the same neighborhood. Activity has somehow taken a major hit when it comes to how Europeians plan to pick their president. The addition of the write-in option on the question may have unduly hurt activity. Candidates will still have to put forward a well-rounded campaign and public persona in order to be successful.

What issue do you view to be most important?

Foreign Affairs - 45.5% (-11)
Recruitment/Retention - 36.4% (+10.3)
Military - 9.1% (+9.1)
Culture - 4.5% (-12.9%)
Communications - 0% (-)

The majority of Europeians still want their president focused on external strategy. That much is clear and unsurprising. A bit of a bump for recruitment and retention efforts show we're farther removed from fresh memories of Presidents Malashaan and Mousebumples' considerable efforts in this arena. It might be time for another evaluation of our policies. This isn't, however, representative of a shift from an external focus from a domestic one as we see from a drop in the priority level assigned to Culture.

Which individuals would you encourage to run for president?

Writinglegend - 68.2% (+3)
Common-Sense Politics - 50%
Drecq - 50% (+2.2)
Kraketopia - 50% (-2.2)
Malashaan - 50% (+32.6)
Mousebumples - 45.5% (+23.8)
Calvin Coolidge - 41% (-6.8)
Rylian - 27.3%
Anumia - 13.6% (+4.9)
Jusduckria - 9.1%
Starstream Tribe - 9.1%

Finally we get to the fun part. Once again, these numbers don't tell us who can beat WL but they do give us a great indication of who has enough support to launch a credible candidacy. CSP, Drecq, Krak, Mal, and Mouse all appear to have that requisite level of support. You could include Calvin but with the slight drop in his numbers, it appears that even if the voters view him slightly more favorably than they did two months ago, it doesn't mean they're any more excited at the prospect of another run for the top job. The real story here is the surge of Malashaan and to a lesser extent, Mouse. Based on these trends, it appears Malashaan could emerge as the candidate most likely to unseat WL who remains a strong front runner. Rylian may be able to build a coalition carrying the newbie banner. He won't win but he could make some noise. We'll have to see how the hypotheticals turn out...

If the election were held today, who would you be more likely to vote for?

Writinglegend - 54.5%
Kraketopia - 45.5%

Last time we posed this hypothetical, Krak won decisively but elected to not challenge the President. Maybe he should have. Still a strong challenger, some of the sheen has visibly wore off. These numbers still indicate a solid chance and should encourage him to at least consider a run.

Writinglegend - 54.5%
Malashaan - 45.5%

There he is. Our suspicions are confirmed. The Speaker of the Senate got trounced in this matchup in July. No more. You're looking at the guy with the best shot at wresting the Goldenblock from WL.

Writinglegend - 54.5%
Mousebumples - 45.5%

Europeia's foremost potato skin authority always seems to do well in these things. There seems to be a pretty consistent block of respondents who are willing to do away with WL when presented with a credible alternative.

Writinglegend - 59.1%
Common-Sense Politics - 40.9%

Strong showing for a guy who was officially retired just a month ago. Historically one of the region's most formidable campaigners, a credible run for a fifth presidency is not out of reach. I have it from a reliable source though, that his energies will be firmly occupied in the Senate for the duration of his term.

Writinglegend - 68.2%
Drecq - 31.8%

What happened, big guy? About a twelve point drop from our last hypothetical matchup has perhaps relegated Drecq to longshot status however he is a man known for his exceptional competence and can't ever be ruled out.

Writinglegend - 77.3%
Calvin Coolidge - 22.7%

Little change here from July. Calvin may very well assume the Goldenblock some day in the future but it won't be against his current boss. You can put that in the bank.

Writinglegend - 77.3%
Rylian - 22.7%

This is a respectable showing from a fresh face. Heck, he's matched the sitting vice president's numbers. Again, it would be a dark horse candidacy but by no means a ridiculous one. Look for his stock to grow in the months to come.

Writinglegend - 95.5%
Anumia - 4.5%

Writinglegend - 95.5%
Jusduckria - 4.5%

Writinglegend - 95.5%
Starstream Tribe - 4.5%

Anumia, Starstream, and Jus round out the "nevermind" column.

In sum, President Writinglegend remains a very, very strong incumbent; so much so that he may make any potential qualified challengers hesitant to enter the race. It is important to note that as invulnerable as he may appear, he is decidedly less so than he was last go round, save the Kraketopia phenomenon.

This polling and subsequent analysis does not seek to disqualify any potential candidates, included or not. I used my own personal judgement and included anyone I viewed to be a serious candidate based on a number of factors. Anybody has a chance here. We've proven that before.

Disclaimer: I'm not proofreading this. I'm tired.

I think this poll just shows the same people have a real chance at the Presidency who always have a real chance at the Presidency, but WL is the one with the best shot. Still, it's nice to know where the region stands on this sort of thing.

If by "Kraketopia Phenomenon" you mean Kraken got a full time job, then yes :p

Seriously though, good job to WL, and I encourage everyone to run.

It's nice that people want to see me run again, but I seriously don't have time for the Presidency anymore. :p Still, I hope that a few someones will form a ticket (or two!) to give WL/Calvin a challenge in the coming election.

Rach said:
Not the best sign that there is very little new blood whom people think should run.
Wanna run on a ticket with me to give the region some new blood? :ph43r:

I'm surprised that 4.5% of those polled would vote for me, and that I was even thrown in. Nothing else really surprises me in this.

Back