Smokin' Poll

Common-Sense Politics

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Deputy Minister
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him

With the election of Kraketopia as Europeia's next president all but certain, his seat in the hallowed halls of the Senate will be left vacant and we can expect the standing period for that seat to begin in a matter of mere hours. So then, let's have a bit of fun guessing who might win that seat in the coming days. I've allowed for four votes in this poll to identify some potential frontrunners.

Anumia

The outgoing president was once known as a giant of the Senate, being elected to that body no less than fifteen times since 2007 that we can find evidence of, being chosen as speaker just once in 2011. In the coming term he will serve as minister of foreign affairs which suggests his plate is full however his qualifications shouldn't be ignored should he get the itch to remain a factor in electoral politics.

Common-Sense Politics

The nine-time senator and two-time speaker has recently resurfaced after intermittent absences from regular activity over the past year. He currently serves as Chairman of the Europeian Bar Association, Vice Admiral in the ERN, and is a voice in the EAAC. If he can convince voters of his intent to maintain a high level activity for the duration of the term, he could be one to watch.

Huxwells Fortier-Shaw

Hux was frustrated in his bid for the Senate in October, losing a special election to Drecq and Cerian Quilor but managed to finish in the middle of the five candidates in terms of vote count. He has maintained a decent level of activity and contribution in the CA during his time here. It seems an inevitability that he mounts another campaign. Why not now?

Hyanygo

Hy has a reputation for being Europeia's most intense and scientific legal eagle. Mastermind of the mass legislative overhaul and major contributor to Constitution V, he currently serves as attorney general and will continue in that position in the coming term. He may not be present enough or even interested in a campaign however one should never, ever count him out of a senate race unless your name is Hyanygo.

Kaiser

I don't personally know much about Kaiser and writing this is already taking too long. He's still around and he's consistently flirted on the line between spam king and political aspirant.

Lethen

Leth is riding a wave of popularity in recent months and is entering his second term as minister of foreign cultivation. He's served as speaker a whopping six times. If he's eying a return to the Goldenblock, he may try to pull double duty this term and return to the Senate.

Malashaan

One of the most impressive legislators our senate has ever produced, the former speaker may hope to regain his status as the longest serving speaker in history which was recently captured by current speaker, Drecq. With a sharp mind and a likeable persona, he's a potential frontrunner.

Modern Sin

MS has returned to Europeian politics in a big way of late. He's served in the senate before and his engagement is rivaled by few at present. He's endeavored to offer his opinion on just about everything and he's emerged as a credible voice in the community. It is highly likely that he makes a bid in this contest.

Moronist Decisions

Excepting a stint as minister of foreign affairs, our current WA delegate has been hesitant to engage in other areas of Europeian politics or even cultural life. When does he step out and take a shot?

Mousebumples

Mouse is tremendously popular as a result of both her chairmanship in the CA and her service as minister of interior. By all accounts, she blew the doors off the place in both positions. Having eliminated the prospect of another term in Interior, look no further for a very strong campaign. If she wants the seat, all it takes might be asking for it.

Ogastein

There have been wild Ogastein sightings in the last week. If he's bored, this former speaker might just throw his hat in the ring though we have no reason to believe he will.

PASD

Sporting a grossly obnoxious signature lately, former senator and president PASD is at least showing he's mildly interested in what we're up to. Sometimes that's all it takes.

PhDre

Having been recently elected as chairman of the CA, we expect PhDre will not make a run for Senate right now. That being said, happening to be one of the most suitable players in the region can't hurt. If he decided to ditch on the CA for greener pastures though, he'd be an immediate frontrunner.

r3naissanc3r

The guy is interested in electoral politics. Who knew? He just won an election to become the newest WA delegate of TNP, serves as our own chief of staff, is a long-time forum administrator, and is generally the most knowledgeable guy in any room he happens to find himself in. This is another long shot but maybe being a feeder delegate isn't as busy a job as popularly believed? I can dream.

Rach

She's leaving the Cabinet. She's a former senator, president, and queen of Balder. She's pretty cute. Can she talk herself into a run? No idea but she should.

Remsol Greyjoy

The odds of Remsol standing in any election are higher than most. Why should this one be any different?

Zenny Anumia

Zenny has managed to garner herself a small political and personal following during her time here. This is typical of female political figures here, particularly among newer citizens however if she can temper her attitude she may be able to take the next step. Her service in Culture has been received warmly overall. She should and probably will run.

Charlotte said:
Funny everyone's on this list. Almost.

:ph43r:
Just haven't seen much of you lately, Charlotte, plus this took forever so I may have missed a couple people. Sorry!

If I enjoy reading Presidential Predictions, you can bet that means I enjoy reading Senate predictions :3

Many of these individuals are CA members, but I'm not going to vote for someone who has not demonstrated some level of interest and involvement in legislative affairs. That's why I'm a bit surprised with some of the front runners - clearly Europeians feel that a strong legislative background is -not- a prerequisite for the Senate.

PhDre said:
Many of these individuals are CA members, but I'm not going to vote for someone who has not demonstrated some level of interest and involvement in legislative affairs. That's why I'm a bit surprised with some of the front runners - clearly Europeians feel that a strong legislative background is -not- a prerequisite for the Senate.
Historically, that's not very surprising, is it?

Common-Sense Politics said:
PhDre said:
Somewhat, but with a less active Senate I think that attitude is more apparent than ever. Some of these individuals do not participate in any legislative discussion - and while they might be a good addition to the Senate, I'd like to see some of our more active CA members stand because they do have a record of participating and contributing to legislation.

PhDre said:
Common-Sense Politics said:
PhDre said:
Somewhat, but with a less active Senate I think that attitude is more apparent than ever. Some of these individuals do not participate in any legislative discussion - and while they might be a good addition to the Senate, I'd like to see some of our more active CA members stand because they do have a record of participating and contributing to legislation.
A fair point.

Didn't I just say somewhere that I purposely have avoided the Senate in recent memory? :p And don't I constantly say that I don't personally feel qualified to be the kind of President Europeia wants and needs today? :p

And yet both of these things are potential careers for me in the near future.

Lethen said:
Didn't I just say somewhere that I purposely have avoided the Senate in recent memory? :p And don't I constantly say that I don't personally feel qualified to be the kind of President Europeia wants and needs today? :p

And yet both of these things are potential careers for me in the near future.
You think you have free will? This is Europeia! :p

Anyway, with a fair few complaints about Senate activity and engagement recently (made all the more acute by the Rise of the CA since the Mousetatorship), I agree that candidates' level of vision and overall commitment will be a big factor in the upcoming standby. These qualities are, more or less, always important, to be sure. But if we have a large enough turnout vying for this one seat - and I think we will - the big question on most voters' minds will likely be, "What can _____ do to help revitalize the Senate in the remainder of the term?"

No comment on whether I'll throw my hat in, but I'd like to see the highest-voted names on this list take a shot at it (Anumia, CSP, Zenny).

I'm looking forward to the next Senate race, I think it will bring back a lot of experienced members. I'm also concerned that this could be my first and last term as a Senator given the likely field of the next race.

Dr. Yuri Razhtigr said:
I'm looking forward to the next Senate race, I think it will bring back a lot of experienced members. I'm also concerned that this could be my first and last term as a Senator given the likely field of the next race.

Nah. I think if you ran again you should get in. You're pretty popular and cool.

modernsin said:
My goal is now to overthrow Yuri, whatever the cost. :ph43r:
*whispers into his jacket cuff*

Bag him.

Nah. I think if you ran again you should get in. You're pretty popular and cool.

Thanks Rach :wub:

I plan to run again, hopefully not in vain.

Also, check your pm's Rach.

Back