Presidential Struggles and a Look at the CA: It's EuroWeekly.

Lime

Lime Green At Last
Associate Justice
Senator
Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen
This week in EuroWeekly we look at what challenges the new administration will face, and the CA let’s evaluate it.

A New President and New Challenges

Calvin Coolidge was elected President in perhaps one of the closest elections in Euro’s history. But he will face many challenges as President and we sat down with some Europeians to see what they thought would be the President’s biggest challenge.

Senator Seven Deaths: I believe that Calvin's biggest challenge isn't going to be anything quite as simple as Foreign Affairs or the Navy. It's going to be the people. Yes, he won, but not by a large margin. Judging by the vote totals, it's quite easy to tell that not everyone who voted is an active everyday participant of the boards. At least half, if not more, of us who are here posting everyday voted for the other guy and the chances of people like us being more vocal about his Presidency are high. It helps a lot that both CSP and Cat are in his Cabinet, but this is definitely something he'll have to contend with sooner or later.

Culture Minister Sopo: I think the biggest challenge will be effectively managing the various Ministers and helping them work together to reach their full potential. With a big focus on foreign affairs, utilizing the skills of the GA, the MoFA, and the MoWA both separately and together will be crucial to success. I already have a good feeling about the team, but a breakdown in communication could really halt progress.

Anonymous: Churning the international paper out on a regular basis, setting up the infrastructure to ensure that it continues to come out regularly after Calvin is gone, and making the paper actually effective. Given Europeia's track record with these things, this is a major cornerstone of his judgeable FA policies (it’s much harder to judge more nebulous FA concepts), and it is a major departure from previous methods of Foreign Communication.

Punchwood: For me the biggest challenge Calvin is going to face is everything. As I said in the last issue Calvin has proposed many small changes and these could easily sneak up on him. As has been pointed out Calvin did not win a blank cheque, it was very close and any small broken promises would add up and eventually Calvin’s wall would be full of cracks. Calvin will have to deliver or he could face a very tough re-election campaign.

The CA: Let’s Have a Look

Most would argue that the job of the CA is to train our future legislators. To train the region’s future. Yet it is surprisingly inactive. Of those who do get involved it is just a few citizens and always the same ones, it's often Senators who contribute much of the discussion. When someone finally does get elected to the Senate, the CA is often forgotten about as it is only seen as a training ground, once you get past it, why would you want to return?

Even those who have yet to join the Senate shun it for a while, I know I did and I still could do with more activity. Until recently activity in the CA has been low. Sopo the outgoing CA Chair recently held Mockingbird on Radio and brought up an interesting point. No one evaluates the CA, the Senate definitely yet the CA no one does. When you think about it, it’s very strange. If the CA’s job is to train our future legislators then surely we should be keeping a close eye on it and its work? He also wondered that if it was evaluated more, maybe more people would take an interest and in turn produce more activity.

So let’s have a look.

The CA is currently debating an ordinance started by outgoing CA Chair Sopo on creating the “Citizens’ Assembly Advisory Board” (CAAB) The job of this board would be to help keep institutional member and continuality. The closest comparison to it would be the EAAC, it’s job is to advise the President on foreign affairs and to make sure continuality with Euro’s foreign policy and to avoid constant sudden changes in direction, it’s the same principal here. CAAB would advise the CA Chair and help to prevent sudden changes in direction with each new Chair.

In its current draft anyone who has received The Order of The Assembly would be a permeant member, and the Chair could add and remove members at will. Much discussion has focused on if Senators should be allowed on the board. In the current draft Senators could serve on the board.

We must also have a look at the CA leadership. Constie had been appointed as a Deputy this term, mainly focusing on Communications. He set about creating a writer’s team and giving them tasks. To many this suggested that Mockingbird was returning. Indeed in his radio broadcast CA Chair Sopo said that a Mockingbird issue would be release on that weekend yet we have not seen one. Indeed we were then told that we should hopefully see it released before the conclusion of the CA Chair elections yet no issue has yet been released.

We will soon have new leadership in the CA and we must wonder what they will do in regards to Mockingbird. Mockingbird could become a tool for the CA to show what it is doing and to get some more activity but only if it uses it right. Sopo has been clear that he wants to help the next and future Chair leaders by providing more institutional memory and so he will no doubt provide the next Chair with info regarding his handling of Mockingbird. We must hope that together Mockingbird both print and radio can succeed.

Another viewpoint this time it's Mouse!

"Calvin and his administration need to really work to reverse some of the issues we've seen take hold over the previous administrations. As discussed extensively during the Presidential election period, there have been serious concerns about the amount of transparency in government and also with regards to moving a lot of forum activity to Discord. Working to reverse those trends is important, but it can be a challenge to fight the status quo and improve in both of those areas."

Thanks to Punchwood for putting this together - and my own apologies for being so delayed in getting him the comment that he requested ages ago!

Back