Picture of the Day

Caption: In 1866, Cathay Williams became the first African-American woman to enlist in the U.S. Army. She posed as a man, enlisting under the pseudonym William Cathay.

Caption: Clifford Chester Sims, Staff Sergeant, US Army Medal of Honor Recipient. Served as part of the 101st Airborne in Vietnam in 1967. Served as squad leader. Threw himself on a boobytrap as it exploded. Interred in Barrancas National Cemetery.

Caption: Donald R. Long was a United States Army soldier and a recipient of America's highest military decoration—the Medal of Honor—for his actions in the Vietnam War.

Caption: In 1993, a study commissioned by the U.S. Army described systematic racial discrimination in the criteria for awarding decorations during World War II. At the time, no Medals of Honor had been awarded to the black American soldiers who served in World War II. After an exhaustive review of files, the study recommended that ten black Distinguished Service Cross recipients have their military awards upgraded to the Medal of Honor. On January 13, 1997, President Bill Clinton awarded the Medal of Honor to seven of the World War II veterans; Baker was the only living recipient of the medal at the time.

Caption: After my LOA, I was so happy to receive this gift from my friend and Euro Senator Ervald. Thanks so much to you, Ervald. I am so grateful to have a friend like you :)

You're welcome! I am glad to know you too, man. :D

Caption: The United States occupation of Veracruz began with the Battle of Veracruz and lasted for seven months, as a response to the Tampico Affair of April 9, 1914. The incident came in the midst of poor diplomatic relations between Mexico and the United States, and was related to the ongoing Mexican Revolution.

Caption: Tunnels and how they were used by the Viet Cong forces during the Vietnam War

Caption: A stern section of a Yankee-class Russian ballistic missle submarine cut in half

Caption: Often described as the one of the defining photographs of the Iraq War, Lance Cpl. Miller stands post battle bloodied and smoking a cigarette, 2003.

Caption: Soldiers of the 3rd Inf Reg. continue to stand guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, despite the worsening weather conditions surrounding Hurricane Sandy, 2012.

Caption: A Madagascar Army Soldier salutes from his Ferret armored car during a military parade.

Caption: The finally released crest of the new U.S.S. Delaware SSN-791, the newest Virginia Class submarine.

Caption: An info graphic showing the make up of an allied trench system during WW1

Back