Opinion: Darcness the Right Choice for Europeia

Deepest House

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Opinion: Darcness the Right Choice for Europeia

By Deepest House

(Europeia – November 1, 2017) - In this election, we have a choice between two very experienced and qualified candidates, and some additional candidates of a lesser public profile than Darcness and Brunhilde. While I appreciate the candidacies of the additional tickets, I am not currently considering them as I don’t consider them viable at this point in their careers, and I wish them well going forward. That leaves me with Darcness/Sopo and Brunhilde/Rach.

I am endorsing the Darcness/Sopo ticket for the Goldenblock. Darcness has been a rock star since he joined the region about a year ago. He has served multiple terms as minister, has served as vice president, and even a partial term as president. All of this has left me without doubt that he is prepared for the job and will succeed if given the chance. He has earned his place at the top of the ticket through his consistent visible presence in our government in leadership roles.

Brunhilde is a very capable member of our region. I simply do not believe this to be her time. She ran unsuccessfully in the last presidential election, and after her loss she has not participated nor contributed to our government in any meaningful way compared to Darcness. While I have great respect for Brunhilde as she historically has accomplished a lot in our region and is a valuable member of our community, I simply cannot vote for someone who it appears recently has only shown up for presidential elections without putting in significant work in the government. Even her current running mate, Rach, sharply criticized her lack of recent contributions during the last election cycle. Like many in Europeia, I want to see consistent leadership and contributions from our presidential candidates leading up to the election. Darcness has done that to a much greater degree than Brunhilde and has earned the opportunity for this election cycle through his sweat equity.

After Darcness suffered defeat in his most recent presidential election, against me and Writinglegend, he immediately bounced back and joined our Cabinet, successfully leading our Ministry of Foreign Affairs. He has served in the Senate, and served as Minister of Communications. He has served as a deputy and assistant minister in virtually every ministry. He has the recent experience as well as the depth and breadth of knowledge to be intimately familiar with all of our government and our region. Darcness is not a one trick pony, rather he has demonstrated excellence in leadership roles in multiple ministries over an extended period of time.

Rising up after defeat requires character, humility, and grace. These are all qualities that will serve Darcness well should he win the presidency. When he could’ve taken his ball and gone home, and withdrawn from government and public life after a decisive defeat in the presidential election, he stood tall and stood the course. Darcness’ consistent presence in government and contributions to the region during both his victories and defeats demonstrate his commitment to Europeia, his ability to meet adversity with determination, and selfless leadership that will serve our republic well.

As a former vice president of Europeia who has served in the Goldenblock, and knowing the full weight and responsibilities associated with such a role, I will vote for Darcness and Sopo. I invite you to do the same.

I'm voting for Darc, but it isn't as if Brun has been given the same opportunities to serve people publicly in government the way Darc has.

And she has been active in government albeit not super visibly.

I agree Brun should have waited and not run this term but we absolutely should be more fair to her than you are.

I don’t think I’m being unfair. You don’t have to be “given opportunities.” There is no restriction on serving as an assistant minister in any ministry. We tell people all the time to go out and make your own opportunities to achieve success.

I like Brunhilde a lot. She has contributed significantly to the region, and I think she can be a good president one day. As I said, I just don’t think this is her time.

This endorsement is much, much more about what Darcness has done and much less about what Brunhilde hasn’t done.

I would echo Kylia’s comments about Brun, particularly the part about her making contributions that are not visible to most citizens.

It is possible to visibly contribute without the kind of leg up Darc has gotten, absolutely. But it is harder and Darc has gotten that leg up while Brun hasn't.

Kylia Quilor said:
It is possible to visibly contribute without the kind of leg up Darc has gotten, absolutely. But it is harder and Darc has gotten that leg up while Brun hasn't.
To clarify, Darc's leg up is that he is a Minister? Yes, there are only so many Ministry positions available, particularly in Brun's area of expertise, but that doesn't prevent her from taking on responsibility that is outside of secret forums like the EAAC.

And frankly isn't that the way it's always worked in Europeia? Those who contribute, particularly in prominent ways, are rewarded over those who are less visible and have contributed less publicly?

I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it was harder. Darc has thus has an easier time of it when it comes to visible contribution.

Kylia Quilor said:
I didn't say it wasn't possible, I said it was harder. Darc has thus has an easier time of it when it comes to visible contribution.
It is harder. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Are we to handicap successful ministers or President's if they seek the highest office in our minds because their successes are more visible than private citizens whose most visible previous act was running for office?

PhDre said:
Kylia Quilor said:
It is harder. Is that necessarily a bad thing? Are we to handicap successful ministers or President's if they seek the highest office in our minds because their successes are more visible than private citizens whose most visible previous act was running for office?
The creation of CAIN was pretty visible. Just saying.

I’d like to clarify something that may be getting lost here. I also mentioned it somewhere else.

I don’t think anyone is saying that Brunhilde hasn’t made contributions to the region. I think what people are saying is that her recent contributions are meager compared to those made by Darcness. And while Brun has contributed in the EAAC, so has Darcness – so that’s a wash at best.

I value the contributions of all of our members. That’s why as vice president, I always wanted to single out Pyntuma for her contributions to weekend games. They were small, yet meaningful, contributions to our region.

We are currently debating who should hold the highest office in our region. I think it goes without saying that recently Darcness has been more involved throughout the entirety of our region and government, in both classified forums and public, than has Brunhilde. He has done it at leadership levels and staff levels, and he has done it in earnest and good spirit.

I think his hard work, his “sweat equity,” has earned him the job for the next term. I think that is a very reasonable conclusion to come to, and is consistent with the values the Europeian electorate has demonstrated in the past.

XIV said:
PhDre said:
Kylia Quilor said:
The creation of CAIN was pretty visible. Just saying.
I mean most recent previous visible act.

The question of "what have you done for me lately" is, of course, relevant when running for office.

Back