Open Discussion

Is there some website where I can learn more about the tactics and weapons used by militaries across the world?(not websites like GFP and Wikipedia)

Also, may I have the honor of being appointed as a part time writer of Military Times?

Aditya Republic said:
Is there some website where I can learn more about the tactics and weapons used by militaries across the world?(not websites like GFP and Wikipedia)
Tactics are best learned from war to war unless you want to delve into the field manuals of militaries around the world. For instance, my first baptism of fire for reading about tactics was reading 'Knights Cross' by David Frasier about Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, Rommel's 'Infantry Attacks' which was the trieste on tactics from the first World War and 'The Road to Arnhem' regarding the 101st utilization during Operation Market Garden. Reading books by the leaders who directed the armies would be your best bet or watching documentaries. I don't think there's a good site that does this though.

As for Weapons of War, I used to know quite a few but lately I just use what I know, Jane's Defence Weekly, Wikipedia a bit, Global Security for in depth and sometimes the Federation of American Scientists Military Analysis Network.

Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:
Tactics are best learned from war to war unless you want to delve into the field manuals of militaries around the world. For instance, my first baptism of fire for reading about tactics was reading 'Knights Cross' by David Frasier about Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, Rommel's 'Infantry Attacks' which was the trieste on tactics from the first World War and 'The Road to Arnhem' regarding the 101st utilization during Operation Market Garden. Reading books by the leaders who directed the armies would be your best bet or watching documentaries. I don't think there's a good site that does this though.

As for Weapons of War, I used to know quite a few but lately I just use what I know, Jane's Defence Weekly, Wikipedia a bit, Global Security for in depth and sometimes the Federation of American Scientists Military Analysis Network.
fefe

Last edited:
Aditya Republic said:
Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:

Oh I see. Thank you very much! I tried checking the official websites of some militaries( including India), but they give very poor info about their weapons.
No problem my friend :) If I find a good site for Indian Arms, I will definitely pass it along. :)

Found one:
:p

Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:
Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:

Oh I see. Thank you very much! I tried checking the official websites of some militaries( including India), but they give very poor info about their weapons.
No problem my friend :) If I find a good site for Indian Arms, I will definitely pass it along. :)

Found one:
Thank you, sir! I can really learn a lot from you about militaries.

Aditya Republic said:
Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:
Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:

Found one:
Thank you, sir! I can really learn a lot from you about militaries.
I shall do my best until I can't or until you find someone better :)

I'm happy to report that my copy of 'Soldier' by General Sir Mike Jackson came today which means I'll be able to finish my research for the Pristina incident article :)

Edit: I went back and saw you wanna write for the times, of course you may :)

Aditya Republic said:
Olde Delaware said:
Aditya Republic said:
Ok, I will write when I am back from the brink
What do you mean?
pls see the republic square. i have been a horrible citizen
Oh, if that's the case then perhaps I should withdraw my offer. I don't know if you'll be prosecuted but I didn't know you were this kind of person.

I'm very disappointed

I too am disappointed by myself. I am not that kind of person, just went overboard with such stuff. And well, I can't say for sure if I will be prosecuted, but yes I should be and will be banned. And thanks for withdrawing the offer.

Also, sorry that I made you talk with criminals like me.

i mean you can do it without pissing people off. also people need to welcome critisism and address the main concerns raised

Nick Powell said:
i mean you can do it without pissing people off. also people need to welcome critisism and address the main concerns raised
True, but I am still learning the ropes here so to speak and it helps not to step on toes or invite criticism if you go into a story or editorial uninformed. It wouldn't be fair to you, the reader or the interviewee if I approached hostile, uninformed or otherwise biased and the news should always be fair and equal to both sides of the argument.

Just a short note, I would like to thank the person or persons who nominated the Military Times as Europeia's best Private Media Outlet of the Year. I hope that I continue to make our readership proud, however large or small it is :)

Back