MousePoll Results: The Culture of Europeia

Mousebumples

Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Check out the results below, and be sure to tune in for a Mixlr Broadcast where I'll discuss the results with Lethen and Malashaan at 11am EST on 2 January! (I'll link to the Showreel version of the results here once it is uploaded.)

[bookmark]Demographics[/bookmark]
Demographics
We had 47 respondents overall, as the poll ran for the greater part of a week. As a general comment, a few of the short-answer questions are not included in the public posting of this poll as that information was not meant to be subject to public discussion or debate. If there is something important that you said that you want said here, please let me know, and I can re-edit accordingly if it is deemed appropriate and relevant.

Other: Wireless Toaster

Comparatively speaking, these are the gender results that I got when I did a Women-based poll for the NSWF in 2015:

That poll had fewer respondents, but the numbers are relatively comparable. However, the small number of female players, overall, is something we should be mindful of.

[bookmark]Discord[/bookmark]
Discord

Note: those that said they haven't participated in our chat programs above skipped through the following Discord-related section. (I wanted to clarify as the numbers will be a bit different from the total number of respondents otherwise.)

Other - Active, but not too much
I usually am, but right now is a little complicated.

What specific concerns do you have, if any, regarding your personal level of comfort with our regional Discord Server?
  • Adminship is not very even.
  • There are certain individuals who expose personal information and make jokes about sensitive topics.
  • No concerns!
  • There's been a sudden shift of shitposting in EuroChat where discussing inappropriate topics like "shotgunning a toilet" that makes some people uncomfortable.
  • Slightly concerned that the Discord server takes away from the forum
  • "Sexual jokes with minors about

Cliques that form as a result of discord conversation

Inability to follow conversation due to heavy volume (inappropriate things can happen that are missed)"
  • Arbitrary Moderator judgment. We need formal rules. After the recent AO that might need to come from the Senate though.
  • "EuroChat can sometimes go from ""toeing the line"" to ""wildly inappropriate content"" fairly quickly. By ""wildly inappropriate content,"" I don't mean that its explicit ToS violations-worthy; but for our age range that goes as young as 14/15 I think that some of our content can be pretty explicit, sexually charged, etc.

That's EuroChat though. The other channels I've poked into/took part in (as both a Discord admin and casual player) have been pretty tame."
  • I feel like it is well run and fairly handled.
  • Too hard to follow sometimes because it's so active.
  • Sometimes the conversation moves to the inappropriate, forgetting how many younger players we have in the region and in the #eurochat community. Not everything needs to be G-rated by any means, but remembering that not everyone is a 20-something college student could use some reiterating.
  • A little crossing the line sometimes concerning perhaps posted graphics, but am more comfortable with the general behaviour.
  • I suffer from general social anxiety and sometimes I just feel uncomfortable in group conversations; but also there have been a number of times where Eurochat has turned sexual and it has made me feel really uncomfortable. I don't want to have discussions about other people's dick sizes or about how hot someones ass looks. I don't want to take part in those discussions and I don't really want to be subjected to them. But at the same time I don't think people should necessarily be restricted in what they can or can't discuss on the discord server; every time I've stated my concerns people have listened and changed the conversation.

What other comments do you have regarding IRC/Skype/Discord?
  • Bad for the region
  • Discord is now almost as important a platform as the forum. Be mindful of the weight of your decisions.
  • Nothing of note
  • I think it's run well. I'd like to see senate legislation to codify our procedures, however.
  • Discord is the best. Really though, I have nothing to add.
  • Well the main chat is often too active while other auxiliary chats don't get as much attention.
  • More Discord Admins might help to provide better coverage for admin tasks during various times of the day/night around the world.
  • I'm glad the CA is working to get laws in place regarding Discord/Mixlr
  • None really; but I think we could do a better job of making people aware of who the discord admins are. For a long time I only knew about Aex and Brunhilde.

[bookmark]Mixlr[/bookmark]
Mixlr

Note: those that said they haven't listened to Mixlr above skipped through the following Mixlr-related section. (I wanted to clarify as the numbers will be a bit different from the total number of respondents otherwise.)

Other - Me personally? No. But I'm sure there are some who find certain topics (e.g. more explicit discussions of sexual acts, even if laden with inuendo) as inappropriate.
Only when I have to read out a WL Correlation

Please elaborate if you have specific things to mention.
  • Correlations, however, we have cut back on the shitposting with it.
  • Euro is an extremely diverse region, we are going to see that kinda stuff. If you don't like what you are listing to, then don't listen to it, but don't ruin other people's fun.
  • Correlations is insanely inappropriate and the title might not suggest that. I once volunteered to host without knowing what it was... hehe. I hope younger members wouldn't make the same mistake in tuning in.
  • Nothing jumps to mind specifically.
  • Correlations needs to be dirtier :p
  • "Correlations, especially, excels at going too far and pushing the line. It can be a fun game, but I can see it also turning off players that are tuning in for a ""fun radio show."" It might be worth updating our description of the game to add an NSFW type label.

Euro After Dark can also be a bit more adult, though it's not typically as bad as Correlations. The name may imply it's more adult content, but it might be worthwhile to be more descriptive of that show as well."
  • When I say 'inappropriate', I only mean so as an 'official' channel. HOWEVER, that broadcast was noted throughout that it wasn't official, had no specific topic, and was essentially a few citizens toying about. Nothing that was said during this broadcast was offensive, to be clear.
  • Minor behaviour that would be more inappropriate in a public broadcast.
  • Inappropriate as in dirty jokes? Sure, there's lots of dirty jokes and innuendo but I wouldn't lambaste it as being "inappropriate"
  • Euro after dark is almost always inappropriate and quickly turns sexual depending on who shows up. There are often innuendos or other things scattered throughout more serious broadcasts and it makes me a little bit uncomfortable and strikes me as inappropriate.

Please share any additional commentary you have regarding our Mixlr programming.
  • I think the Euro After Dark conversations are appropriate for adults. There is nothing that offends me in the broadcasts.
  • Good stuff.
  • Good programming, could use a bit more direction in some shows.
  • I wish I had the time to listen to more.
  • WE HAVE A SHOW REEL?!?!? WHERE DO I FIND THIS?!?!
  • I dont usually listen to radio games, but the rest interests me.
  • Maybe having more of other stuff could be cool, such as music. Would be relaxing :). But really, keep up the hard work!

[bookmark]Forum[/bookmark]
Forum

Please elaborate.
  • I'm indifferent in the situation.
  • I wasn't affected by the incident so I simply think it's good to see the admins taking a strong stance against harassment.
  • I felt safe before and feel safe now.
  • The whole situation was handled well.
  • I always knew if there was a problem I could approach an admin about it. Recent events just let me know that the admin team is working as it should in instances like this.
  • These admins have my full confidence!
  • I'm more shocked that this happened to us.
  • I'm an Admin so.
  • I already felt somewhat comfortable to talk to some admins, but there are others I don't feel comfortable around.
  • "1) There might be still predators on the loose that aren't yet discovered.
    2) Non-sexual abuse I don't feel sure about reporting and having faith anything can be done, because it's not sexual."
  • I don't know that anything really _changed_ within the team construct, but I would believe that the public announcement (including the addition of a female player to the team) looks good and perhaps makes those that aren't as familiar with the admins more comfortable, overall.
  • I believe the investigation, its outcome, and the addition of Mouse to all be exactly what I would look for in this situation. Well done.
  • It was good to see action taken, but I already trusted in the administration team.
  • The case with Anumia was not one that particularly happened to my 'demographic' and although various steps have been made to ensure the community maintains a safe space, only time will tell for me if it truly has.
  • Administration made the right decision.
  • I do not really know the forum administrators that well; I am still new... however i think the work they did on the recent investigation and the fact that they banned a member that many of them consider a personal friend shows that they're willing to take the safety of the region and it's members very seriously.

What questions do you have about the difference between RP law and the Terms of Service that we can answer to help clarify the difference?
  • None, seems straight forward to me.
  • I have none, they are quite clearly two different things.
  • I think I'm pretty good at it, but I tend to defer to the more Europeian Legal Experts when it comes to RP law stuff in general. I would suggest having a conversation with the region as to whether or not the Criminal Code should be amended to remove ToS issues to avoid any confusion/duplication in that manner.
  • Where is the limit between the Threatening Behaviour punished by the Criminal Code and the actual behaviour that got Anumia banned?
  • I honestly don't know; but I do believe that I will learn the difference with more experience in the system.

[bookmark]Discussions[/bookmark]
Regional Discussions
One of the things the Administrator Team would like to do over the coming weeks is to have a number of regional discussions on-going about topics to ensure we have a safe and open community.

What topics do you think should be discussed?
  • Any topic. I like to talk about anything
  • "What can we do to make the community safer?
    How can we make the admin team be more approachable?
    What steps can we take to help combat future events?"
  • Continued outreach to get people to report incidents
  • """regional discussions on-going about topics to ensure we have a safe and open community.""

What does that mean for starters? Are you going to be discussing why you shouldn't send a nude pic? You could be on about discussions on any topic from that."
  • Sexual content
  • Harassment, sexual or otherwise. Anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder resources available online.
  • "Discord administration/moderation.

Harassment, community guidelines.

Community input into administration.

Separation between RP and Admin.

EIA monitoring (why are they looking in all channels?)."
  • oh god, lots. But I trust Mouse's judgement once she talks to that awesome Lethen guy.
  • "Harassment and how to identify
    How to respect others"
  • How to keep safe, what harassment can look like, things like that.
  • A new possible harassment policy that covers all types of abuse, not just sexual.
  • "1) NS families and the pros/cons therein (and also how/why women are often objectified as a result of the NS family system)
    2) how to be more assertive when someone is making you uncomfortable
    3) consensual cybering versus unsolicited sexual advances (<-- which will probably be on discord because of ToS issues)
    4) the legal risks of doing anything remotely sexual with someone under age 18 (*as ages of majority vary by jurisdiction and you never know which laws might apply to you)
    5) Soliciting webcam chats or pics (specifically nudes) is generally Not Smart"
  • For starters, the sense of belonging in Europeia and how one should always feel welcomed here.
  • "I have no idea of what a ""topic"" can be like, but here can be some ideas such as the limit between dark humour and plain bullying or what do to in case of harassment and other TOS breaches on platforms outside of the forums (Discord for example). "
  • I honestly don't know.

What other feedback do you have about these sorts of discussions?
  • Important to regularly have these kind of discussions to refresh members and inform newer members about the broad rules and the admin culture and how the region responds towards things like harassment.
  • Should NOT be on IRC or Discord. Voice only imo
  • None at this time.
  • No IRC please!
  • Would be great to have transcripts? if possible for those that may want to discuss forum-side but can't be on Discord at the time.
  • Have them on Discord, not IRC or Skype.
  • It is definitely a good idea to have a discussion on this, as the recent events have shaken a bit the community.

Any final comments to share on this poll or the state of Europeia in general?
  • Thanks for making this poll, Mouse. I hope we get useful information out of it. ^_^
  • I think the admin team did a fine job with the recent issue that resulted in a prominent member being banned from the forum. I agree with the decision that was made and the way in which it was handled.
  • Good luck, Mouse.
  • None
  • I love that this investigation was handled so promptly, and I am happy to see action being taken. I want us to never have to again react years later to something like this occurring in our region.
  • I appreciate you taking the time to make a poll like this. It speaks to the effort and dedication of the admin team.

Thanks to all of those that participated by taking the poll, and I look forward to discussing these topics with all of you in the coming weeks. My PM box (and DM channel on Discord) is always open if you have ideas on how to improve things for the community. :)

Very interesting poll with fascinating / important results.

Thanks to Mouse, and everyone who took it.

For those that want to listen, the broadcast with Lethen and I is on the Showreel here. Carrot plans to clean it up a bit over the weekend, as he has audio skills I do not, but the content is there at least.

In the meantime, however, my apologies for having my Mixlr program freeze up towards the end, so the standard "end of show, sign off" didn't happen. Fortunately, it cut out after everything was mostly done anyhow, but still frustrating.

Thanks again to everyone that participated by taking the poll - and thanks to those who were in the Mixlr chat with us this morning as well. :)

Thanks for doing this, Mouse.

Of particular interest to me is the concern about sexual content given the wide range of age groups we have here (as young as 13 to multiple members in their 30s). I don't think I touched on this myself in any of my comments, but I think it's something worth discussing. As older members will recall, we had this problem in #EuroChat on Skype, which ultimately led to HEM and I forming a new "official" chat that excluded the person primarily responsible for the explicit content (which was, imo, worse than what we see on Discord now). We established a "PG-13" rule for the chat, which while still subjective, created a nice guideline/community standard. People were usually good about dialing it back if asked, and I only recall having to ban one person from the chat after we implemented that rule.

I have not personally been uncomfortable with anything on Discord or mixlr (though I hadn't used either extensively for several months until recently), but maintaining a certain community standard--with or without a law on the books--is important. People can't shape their behavior and discussions to be appropriate if we don't decide as a community what we consider acceptable vs. what we consider crossing the line.

I don't think I touched on this myself in any of my comments
:creepy:

I agree with the above Sopo. We need to figure out and enforce community standards consistently, especially when you consider that we have many more "young" members than originally thought. It applies imo to Discord and Mixlr.

Sorry for double-posting but Mouse found this earlier and its (1) from almost a year ago exactly so that's interesting and (2) extremely relevant.

Going off of what Kounelli just said, we need to also remember that there's more to regulating obscenity and such than whether it meets our RP laws' standards or meets a threshold that warrants intervention in the name of enforcing the ToS/ToU. There are a wide range of ages on this forum, and we need to keep that in mind. Maybe a thread may not be inappropriate enough to warrant Admin or AG intervention, but it may be inappropriate for our younger users...or if a decent portion of users find something offensive, regardless of age, then perhaps we should address it.

I can't really add much - its late and I'm very tired - but I think the best approach is a case-by-case basis with a broad scope for the administrators to use if we decide its best to step in. Heck, we could always take future threads like the one that sparked this discussion; move them to a private forum that can be seen by admins, the AG, etc.; discuss the thread; and go from there. If the thread is deemed okay, put it back where we found it. If its a problem and may constitute admin or AG action, take those actions.

Click here for relevant discussion.

A few comments mention Euro After Dark. Now, I'll admit I would need to listen to the broadcasts again, but I feel fairly confident that at least in the shows I've participated in (most of them) that we stated a disclaimer toward the beginning. Not boilerplate, but at least a general heads up that EAD skews more mature, nd sometimes heavily so.

Back