Interview with Ervald

Interview with Ervald
Tight Presidential races

Written by Recombis

In part two of our three part special looking back at some of the more interesting and peculiar Presidential elections in Europeia's history, the EBC spoke to one of the most recent occupants of the GoldenBlock, Ervald. His election was peculiar in that it lacked any opposition and was a coronation rather than an election. We spoke to him, to see what he felt about this more unusual election in Europeia's history.

Recombis: So when did you first gain citizenship in Europeia?

Ervald: It's been a while so I think it was around the summer of 2015, perhaps July. I know I joined the forum around then but not sure exactly when I applied for citizenship.

Recombis: What drew you towards Europeia in the start?

Ervald: When I first joined NationStates, I was in multiple regions that were smaller or had far less activity that just wasn't enough for me. I was looking for a region that not only had a fun community but also had an invigorating political scene. I was first an ambassador in Europeia that represented The Communist Bloc and so when I left TCB, I already had a taste of Europeia. At that point, I thought it was perfect to try settle down in.

Recombis: What was your first position in Europeian government?

Ervald: My first position in the Europeian government was a Senator but if you're referring to just the executive branch, Minister of Culture.

Recombis: Why did you run for President?

Ervald: At the time, there wasn't any popular rumor or suggestion for who would run for President. I felt like I could introduce a spirit in Europeia of not just guiding a new generation of leaders but also also leading a spirit of even more activity in every aspect of our society. I thought the office of President would be perfect for that.

Recombis: Why did you choose Drexlore to be your VP?

Ervald: Well, close to the election, Drexlore and I both approached each other about it. I told him I really wanted to run for President and we agreed with each other a lot on the proposals and stances we wanted for the platform. I also thought that due to him being a veteran, he would make a great Vice President.

Recombis: When you ran for President, did you think anyone would run against you?

Ervald: I genuinely expected another candidate to run against me later in the election or maybe even a joke candidate. So, I was surprised to find myself to be the only one running.

Recombis: What was it like to run unopposed?

Ervald: It felt bizarre. Usually, you're prepared for around 8 pages full of questions and those questions focus on every aspect of your platform. You're even thinking about preparing for a possible presidential debate. Instead, we only had a few pages of questions and nobody else ran. Toward the end of the campaign, it made me realize the situation Europeia was in and the activity we had during the election was worrying.

Recombis: Did you want a challenger or were you happy to run unopposed?

Ervald: I would have wanted a challenger. I think the best kind of election is one when people have multiple good candidates to choose from with different visions that can be debated upon.

Recombis: Would you ever run again?

Ervald: In the near future, I do not think so. I am just committing myself to the World Assembly Delegacy for now and spending most of my time in real life focused on my last year of high school and college applications.

Thank you for your time today.

Glad to see this interview! In the future, would be great to get more background info on the person you're interviewing etc.

Thank you Johnny! :)

Thanks JayDee! :D

Is there any particular information you think would be beneficial in that type of article going forward?

Maybe just background on Ervald's history in the region and more information on his Presidential term!

Back