I Choose Not To Run

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
The Presidential Election standing can begin as soon as January 16th, less than 24 hours away from the time I am writing this article. I want to get out ahead of things and make my intent clear.

I will not be running for President.

Those close to me in the region know that I had every intention of being a candidate once the election was underway, to provide an alternate ticket against the eventual candidacy of Aexnidaral Seymour. I would say spoiler alert, but this a very open secret at this point, he has even announced his intention to run on Discord voice chat this past week. However, after the events that took place yesterday with the resignations of XIV and Notolecta, and particularly Notolecta’s audio address I have come to the conclusion that the last thing this region needs is a long, bitter campaign that pits the factions against each other. We have seen this in the last few elections, but none more clearly than in the most recent Senate election. In fact, we even saw it with me as a candidate.

During that Senate race I billed myself as the candidate that was going to take on the toxicity that I saw on the Senate floor, and try and bring the legislature back to an issues based, and less personal politics style of debate. My efforts were met with a resounding backlash from the EPP, and I subsequently lost out on the general election by one vote, then placed third out of three in the resulting runoff. It was clear my message didn’t resonate. In fact, I was seen as an agitator, and part of the problem. The Senate election debate shifted away from me specifically and turned into a larger version of what I had argued in my platform about the merits (or even the existence) of a faction based system of voting.

Several weeks removed from the election, I would like to think that it is now clear factions dominate our politics and heavily sway their outcomes. We can have the debate about whether that is good or bad, but I’m not interested in that right now. What I do want to discuss is that the result of this particular factional divide has led to a very harmful environment for many in our region. Many issues devolve into arguments based less on what is in the content of the post, but rather who posted it. Everything is now personal, and it’s become incredibly stressful to either walk on eggshells or risk getting bombarded from the other side of the tracks.

That’s why I’ve made the decision I have regarding the upcoming election. Aexnidaral Seymour will enter this race as the heavy favorite. Polling has shown this, and many of us have known this for a while. We can debate his merits as a candidate, and the content of his platform once he officially stands and posts, but for now I just want to say that I don’t want to fight. This is me giving Aex the benefit of the doubt and extending an olive branch. If he wins this race, it will not be because of divisive party politicking, but because he has the unified support of a wide coalition. I want our next Executive to have the best chance to succeed that it can, and that means starting off on the right foot.

Don’t misinterpret my meaning, though. Just because I am not standing in opposition does not mean I will agree with everything he proposes, nor will I give him a free pass to do as he pleases in the campaign or the Goldenblock. I don’t think anyone expects or deserves that. No, what I am doing is giving him a chance to lead, without me standing in the way. That might not mean much to anyone, but it clears my conscience. I wish this upcoming term the best of luck, and enter it with the best of intentions. Let’s build a better region together.

P.S. For regular Panda's Pen readers, you know this article is rather different from the type of publication I usually come out with. Don't worry, I won't make a habit of it, I just felt this was a rather important time to deviate from the norm. The next issue will be a poll, or legal analysis, more likely than not.

Very mature of you Calvin. There is a danger to Faction controlled politics and I know you have been doing what you can to make sure things don't get worse.

I understand where you're coming from, Calvin, I really do, but I can't help but think this is not what Europeia needs. If indeed Factions are being pitted against each other, bowing down to one or the other isn't the most effective way to go about it. I can't say that I would have voted for you, as I would determine that based on platforms and how candidates answer questions, etc. And I like Aex, but I abhor one candidate running without opposition, and I think you should reconsider.

Your intentions are good, but, ultimately, I don't think appeasing the Faction that would have supported Aex over you is a good response.

Though I respect your decision as yours to make, I agree with Seven Deaths.

If he wins this race, it will not be because of divisive party politicking, but because he has the unified support of a wide coalition.

If no one competent / in a position to be a good President runs against him, he will win on the merit of being the only reasonable candidate. It's hard for me to read further into it than that.

But a takeaway for me is that maybe we shouldn't be doing Presidential polling in this political climate if potential candidates are going to step out of elections when they don't get the poll results they are looking for. I also think that in this era it seems like platforms are less important and identity politics are more valuable; otherwise we'd see a lot less 'Strongly Support XYZ candidate' and a lot more 'I want to see what XYZ puts in her platform, and what she's going to be fighting for as President of Europeia.'

Some backstory:

I approached Calvin just a few weeks into this Presidential term about him running in the coming General Election. At the time, I suggested he approach XIV as a potential VP candidate. That while it would be a dark horse candidacy against the political juggernaut Aex would command, it would at least prove an interesting choice for the electorate.

Leading up to the initial Senate election, Calvin and I chatted some more and he was trying to convince me to run instead. Ultimately, looking at our availability and what we would hope to bring to Europeia, we decided that since I was already WAD; we would run with him at the top of the ticket and me as his VP choice.

We kept his intentions a tightly held secret, only two other individuals knew without a doubt and of those just happened to guess it early on. I spoke only to rumors that I was seeking a run with a "former President" which led to rumors tying me into a run with Mousebumples, HEM, Skizzy Grey, Sopo, and even Swakistek. Calvin and I discussed at lengths a number of major obstacles we had in our way - mostly centered around that we neither of us enjoyed much support among EPP membership or newer members of the region. In addition, we both had the real concern that just the act of our running would be construed as being antagonistic to letting someone new to the Presidency.

Calvin's defeat in the run-off election, the mischaracterization of my words to say that I called the voters idiots/stupid, and a number of other misrepresentations further dampened Calvin's and my enthusiasm for seeking a chance at the Goldenblock. Still, we felt we had an obligation to at least try to come up with a viable platform and agenda as an alternative to Aex. In a private chat with Aex, I said the following:

Trinnien said:
Mind you that another reason for the run is purely so you have competition
not that we inherently think we should win or will do better
The best campaigns, the best Presidencies, are hard fought
not contentious
but with endless effort and dedication poured into them

However, PT's recall from the Senate presented a conundrum for myself. I spoke to Calvin and Mouse and a few others, of the importance I placed on a Senate that is active, engaged, and able to produce quality content. In my chats with them, I spoke of my desire to be a helping hand, a guide; not be elected just so some other person couldn't be. So I let Calvin know that I would be running for Senate and if I were to win a Senate seat, I would be unable to be his running mate as I did - as I stated in my platform thread - feel it would be grossly irresponsible to be elected into the Senate only to potentially vacate it two weeks later.

But the recall of PT, though warranted, and critiques of a Senate that wasn't performing to the expectations of some only seemed to have exacerbated a feeling of extreme frustration among some Senators which led to the resignations of Notolecta and XIV the other day.

In my chats with Calvin, I remained committed to my running for Senate. But especially after listening to Notolecta's speech, we both had a long chat over what would like happen if we were to continue to plan for a run for the Goldenblock.

If I won my Senate seat, Calvin would be in need of a new VP choice. While we had two potential individuals, neither had formally signed on. If I lost my Senate seat, and then ran with him in two weeks, we knew we would get blasted by Ninja Kittens since she had already made comments in my platform thread.

Elsewhere, Calvin had been painted as an instigator of a toxic atmosphere and I had complaints that I was already WAD and didn't need any more power.

We also knew that it would be seen by a group that strongly supports Aexnidaral as being personally motivated to be against him and they would respond in kind.

Ultimately, with the events of recent days, Calvin and I agreed that it's just not worth the mental stress, the defending of rational arguments against those of emotions, or trying to make the argument that sometimes its just about providing an opponent so one can strengthen their own position.

I'm lucky enough to know that Aexnidaral has put a lot of effort into his campaign platform, and in our chats, he does seem to take it seriously. But, I do wonder if he could just put down his name and nothing else, and still get a large portion of votes.

PhDre is right about one thing - it doesn't matter who you are, it needs to be about your platform and what you plan to bring to Europeia. No one deserves to win on their name alone. That's ironic I suppose given my vocal support of Skizzy, though I am of the opinion that Skizzy did provide a perfectly acceptable platform.

Anyhow, it's possibly I'll get hit here and there over this. It is what it is, I can deal with that. But I really wanted to make sure everyone understands that for me and Calvin, it wasn't polls, or fear of losing, or that we would upset someone's sensibilities; but that neither one of us was willing to deal with the added mental stress or be a party to inflaming more conflict when that's the last thing we need right now in Euro. Maybe we need to learn how to debate again, how to question, how to criticize but also provide ways to learn from mistakes.

And for that, neither Calvin or I need to be in the Goldenblock. That's just our duty as Citizens of Europeia.

I wish you two the best in the personal projects you will undertake in the term ahead. It is heartening to know that you'll use your experience to do your own thing that you know is best for Europeia.

While I am largely in agreement with SD, Sopo, and PhDre, I also think that we're giving too much credence to the already-inflated toxicity of Europeia (its there, but not nearly to the level we seem to think). By declining to run and naming that as a reason, you're already (1) implying Europeians will fall prey to this atmosphere and the toxicity won't be risen above during the next Presidential run and (2) giving the idea more legitimacy than it deserves. I don't think we're toxin-free, but I also don't think the atmosphere is nearly as toxic as some may state and that it may turn that way if we continue to fulfill this self-fulfilling prophecy.

But that's my opinion; good luck to both you and Trinn with whatever you may get up to going forward.

I agree with Lethen. I can sense some stuff brewing under the surface, but I don't really think it's as clear cut as them against them, or us against them or we against them or you against I. I really don't see a difference in what has gone on before really....it's just that I believe that Discord has brought it all to the surface...and perhaps the fact that our political parties, both of them, are highly active and engaged in the community.

The factions have always been there. Surely we can all see that. The fact that they are now more visible in who lies where doesn't mean anything other than that.

I can't say with certainly that your plan of inaction is a good one. I just feel like you could avoid the route of conflict and horrible melodrama that has been plaguing us for all this time by playing fair and nice and...just running a good and solid campaign. I don't feel like you're being completely honest for your reasons, but if you don't want to run, you don't want to run.

I'd like to think Calvin and I are being very open and honest here.

Firstly, neither of us is under any obligation. Secondly, is there no one else considering running? Why or why not?

I've been in three Presidential campaigns, each with their own drama. My first, as VP, was a nail biter that came down to one vote cast in the final moments. To pretend that it wasn't contentious between Kraken's camp and NK's camp would be ignoring history. My secomd campaign amd first as President, saw HEM/Aex stand and then drop out shortly thereafter. There was rumors and conjecture and whispers then too. And my third campaign, where for weeks Calvin had seemed the favorite - I literally came out from behind a break to beat him.

Presidential campaigns, even those ran with the best ideals, lead to a lot of stress nd fatigue. And thats under the best of circumstances. Quite simply, knowing the place where tje community is currently, we felt it wasn't worth putting into a precarious situation especially since we are perfectly capable of making contributions to Europeia outside of the Goldenblock.

If you're (collective, not any one individual) is upset that our deciding not to run means less chance for a healthy competition, then I urge you to stand up. But if it is to say that we're weak or making a poor decision, I disagree strongly. We've been in the Goldenblock, we know all too well what the Teal requires. It's a personal decision. We just decided to share that decisiom with you.

Running for the sake of competition has always been a bad reason. Otherwise, what's stopping me from running? Nothing, but I know I wouldn't be able to fulfill the duties that would be required of me.

Ninja Kittens said:
That Swakistek thing took off? XD I said that as a joke to make fun of all the rampant speculation.
Haha, I made the same joke/rumor to mess with Lethen the other night. Yay, fun rumors.

(also, P.S. to Swak, we miss you :wub: )

Trinnien said:
But if it is to say that we're weak or making a poor decision, I disagree strongly. We've been in the Goldenblock, we know all too well what the Teal requires. It's a personal decision. We just decided to share that decision with you.
I absolutely understand that it's a personal decision and I don't think anyone is calling you weak, but your decision not to run is much more than "just a personal decision" and you've stated reasons above as to why it's not just a personal decision. I agree with Lethen here that not running and stating so in this fashion lends unnecessary legitimacy to this idea of a divide.

I do think that making a bigger deal out of this than it is was the poor decision. It would be nice if you ran, but if you don't want to, then don't. I think this thread was wholly unnecessary though.

I generally don't get upset if there's no competition. The ebb and flow of people being able to take on the responsibilities and having an interest in doing so are natural in all things.

Also you do have a good point. I too can speak for the hostility that can occur in the camps of the campaigners. I did not like it.

I would love to see someone rise above that shit.

Kaboom said:
Ninja Kittens said:
That Swakistek thing took off? XD I said that as a joke to make fun of all the rampant speculation.
So it was you that put down the name in my poll? :p
I honestly don't remember if I took your poll or not (there are a lot of polls) so I honestly cannot say for certain whether I did or not.

Ninja Kittens said:
Kaboom said:
Ninja Kittens said:
So it was you that put down the name in my poll? :p
I honestly don't remember if I took your poll or not (there are a lot of polls) so I honestly cannot say for certain whether I did or not.
I took the poll, and it might have been me. I don't remember putting his name down, but it probably depends on the timing of things. :p

This is exactly why I've never wanted Calvin to be president. That's a statement of fact, not a shot or insult or anything of the like. I do appreciate your candor though.

Back