Georgetown? Ha!

Georgetown? Ha!
Behind the Meme
Written by Ervald
(Europeia - September 2, 2018) - In the United States of America, there is a famous university called Georgetown located in Washington D.C. When mentioned, people think of a well-respected Jesuit school in the seat of the American government. Georgetown, however, means something different to people in Europeia. Instead, it is something to mock. You may as well bring up Georgetown whenever someone tries to be intellectually superior in an argument to deflect criticism. Why? In our second in the "Behind the Meme" series, we will explain the Georgetown University meme.

On the evening of November 15, 2012, Notolecta started a thread in the Grand Hall titled "Classified Information" with his thoughts on a Senate proposal for a Senate Intelligence Committee. The committee was to decide what information should be declassified. Notolecta said he did not believe such a committee should be doing so, that classified information is defined as just information the EIA has, and another proposal on how to classify and declassify information. This thread would turn into a heated 4-page debate, with another eight pages diverging from the main topic. Lethen finally responded to statements made by Remsol Greyjoy with, "Either way, I see the old Remsol, the faux-Populist Senator, has returned. :rolleyes: ", and it was this that sparked the infamous meme.

Remsol would aggressively respond to that with a beautiful quote:
I will never stop holding the best interests of the people of this region as my highest priority. So if you call that faux-populist, so be it. I am fucking sick and tired of the constant demeaning and battering brought on by some of you. And it is not just to me that it happens to. Do any of you have any social skills? Learn how to listen -- and not call people names. Be more open-minded, seriously, this will help you all in RL. And honestly, if you guys act the same in RL as you act on here, I bet you haven't gotten far in life. I am 19, going to Georgetown, and am a intern with a ranking Senator, I would love to know where you guys are in life. :rolleyes:

Everything after that comment centered on condemning Remsol for belittling everyone else for not attending as good of a university as him. Now, that line has been used whenever referring to someone's education or knowledge. All because Remsol saw fit to use it in a debate to prove his intellectual superiority. As an example, Rach started a topic about an odd email she received from her university. When people joked that she should go to Georgetown, Kraketopia posted, "I'm not sure any of us could get into Georgetown. It's quite a feat." This was posted more than two years after the original meme. It is even referred to in non-educational threads, such as one asking if people use ketchup on hot dogs. Jahka replied, "Skizzy, are you saying not everyone has to share my exact taste in food? That's blasphemy. I have a refined palette. I did go to Georgetown, after all".

No doubt this meme has been referenced many times on #eurochat when talking about schooling or real-life accomplishments. This meme has quite a bit of context, and it is not uncommon to see people linking to the original topic for new citizens that don't get the joke. This meme is an interesting example because while millions of citizens in the U.S. think of Georgetown as just a good, Catholic university, dozens of people on an online community make fun of it for a totally different reason. It is not just a university you can go to. It is a reason to avoid criticism or listening to other people's opinion. It is a way to say you're more accomplished in real life and that translates to your knowledge of a subject in Europeia. That you have a better education than everyone else. Well, now I am considering a visit to Georgetown if I go to a field trip to Washington D.C. later this year. Until then, don't forget to bring it up when someone makes fun of the education you received to avoid a debate.

There was a girl at my high school who made it into Georgetown and I had to bite back a laugh because I forget that not everyone makes fun of Georgetown like we do and getting in is actually a good accomplishment.

Great article Ervald!

Certainly helped me.

Last edited:
Good article, but I could have swore you already wrote and published this before!

Link to the thread too :D

Back