HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
Hey all,

I know there hasn't been complete clarity on the forum move. Malashaan gave some good information here, but I know one EBC Broadcast and a post in a massive thread isn't enough.

Please know that all plans in here are subject to change. Things are moving very quickly, and we are on a tight timetable.

But as of right now, I would anticipate our current forum being inaccessible tomorrow, 7/7 after the conclusion of Senate elections. We are anticipating a 12-24 hour period with no forum.

During that time we will be deploying a custom scraper to gather our data from this forum, and prepare that data to be uploaded to our new Zenforo forum. Some important notes as outlined by Malashaan:

(1) Accounts will transfer but you will need to reset your password, meaning you should make sure your email address is up to date.
(2) PMs will NOT transfer. This forum will remain active for the foreseeable future after the transfer, so you don't have to copy anything you want to save immediately, but we recommend you make a start.
(3) Avatars and signatures might not convert accurately - you should make sure you have copies of any images you use available (again, you should be able to grab them from here for a time after the transfer).
(4) Zetaboards specific items such as the notepad may well not transfer. We suggest making copies of anything you want to keep long term.
(5) Joinable groups are not available in the exact same form, but I believe we will be able to provide similar functionality - I'm still working on this.

Even when the new forum is live, it will not be in its final form. There will be a significant amount of design work needed - but the forum will be functional and will be our new seat of government.

Assuming a successful transfer, administrators will be working on two fronts simultaneously:

(1) Bringing the new forum to its final form
(2) Archiving this forum to read-only status so it can still be easily accessible

The reason for the abrupt speed here is the quickening rate that Tapatalk is moving forward with their conversions. It is our understanding that by the end of July, most forums will be converted to the Tapatalk platform. We want to be fully relocated before that happens. For why we don't want to move forward with Tapatalk, feel free to read this thread.

Finally, I mentioned on EBC Radio that there would be an opportunity for folks to chip in to help fund this transition. I have carefully thought about this, and decided to start a GoFundMe for those who would like to help administrators with reoccurring expenses.

This is our total ANNUAL budget, NOT just the costs for changing forums. It includes (1) new forum license, (2) server hosting, (3) Mixlr subscription, (4) new forum daily backups, (5) domain registration, (6) various security software we are subscribed to.

If you would like to help us out and pitch in, there is now a way to do so.

Please know, you are under no obligation to do so. Europeia will countinue regardless. But we wanted to provide the opportunity. We are considering doing some silly promotions of the GoFundMe (news to follow) but please feel no true pressure.

Anyway, let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you for your work, HEM and the admin team. I wish you the best of luck with this complex process.

Holy Shit, that's a lot of money. To clarify is this the expected cost for this year, or the expected cost for every year?

Wow that's a lot of money for the infrastructure I'm surprised

uh so there might be a slight problem with donating. As it shows peoples names.

GraVandius said:
Holy Shit, that's a lot of money. To clarify is this the expected cost for this year, or the expected cost for every year?
There are some expenses that are reoccurring, and others that were one-time (zenforo software).

To repeat what was said above, this is the cost of all admin expenses not just the forum transfer. Hopefully the itemized budget makes clear what is what.

There is no expectation that we raise the full amount! But I think it’s worth revealing what the true costs are.

I thought Darc’s credit card information was already saved in Mixlr.

Seems like that was a great solution for all involved!

I am certainly happy to give back to the community, and fully support the decision to move to a new forum.

Yeah someone got rid of my credit card information on Mixlr. Thank you. Was proving to be a pain. :D

Donated. Euro has been a home to me for a very long time and the people here, my family. I may be the weird estranged cousin who fights with everyone near constantly, but in the end if asked for help then I'd give it in a heartbeat. It's difficult sometimes to play this game and it seems that many of the current problems come, not from the game, but from RL. The people playing who deceive the community with malicious intent and even something as insane as the software we use to play it on. But we're a community and a family so we will persevere and live on to play another day.

Thank you Admin team for all your hard and thankless work.

I want to thank everyone who has donated so far -- really, seriously, thank you.

Just a little update here: we are testing the forum scraper today and the actual show will probably be tomorrow. If there are major problems in the test, though, it may also be a little longer.

Another quick update: the first run at the scraper has been pushed back to tonight. Once we get through that, we will set the official date for the forum change.

Do we know already? I assume we'll be told when the forum actually exists.

Starstream Tribe said:
What URL will the new forum be accessible under?
Secret for now. :ph43r:

The scraper is currently in the middle of it's first test run. Once we are through with the first run, we'll have a better idea of the final move. I would say Wednesday would be cautiously optimistic for moving day.

Back