Deputy Minister
Citizen
Pronouns
He/Him
European of the Year Nomination: Calvin Coolidge
A Military Times Special
By Olde Delaware

Duty. Honor. Country.
Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be. They are your rallying point to build courage when courage seems to fail, to regain faith when there seems to be little cause for faith, to create hope when hope becomes forlorn. - General of the Army Douglas MacArthur

Europeia is not a country, but it often feels as if it is. We do our duty her by serving in its military, we honor her by trying to make it the best that we can every day and we as people from all walks of life and around the world we work to make Europeia a safe haven for all.

When the Europeian of the Year nominations were discussed, I sat for some time and wondered if I should nominate anyone. After all, I am relatively new. I thought about HEM of course and Lethen, two great people I am honored to know who have gone onto do great things. I thought about our President, Rach who despite the fallout from the Brunhilde Affair has helped to guide the region through the turbulent waters. I thought about the new CA Chair, Airbus who burst onto the scene and despite being so new, has worked to gain the region's respect and will one day soon occupy a higher office.

But one name kept coming up and after listening to the EBC broadcast last week, I decided to write about someone I've known for two years but I doubt they know much about me. Someone who has given his all day in and day out, without fail for nearly 5 years here in Europeia and will do so until they turn the lights off. Tonight, I am proud to nominate our former President and Grand Admiral and current Minister of Foreign Affairs; Calvin Coolidge for Europeian of the Year.

I first met Calvin in my home region of Albion, he was an established member of the region and I was a newcomer, fresh to the region after 18 months away from NS. I would like to say we got along swimmingly, but I clashed with the region and its members and Calvin. You never get another chance to make a positive first impression, something I had to learn the hard way but it was here that I learned a lesson about him; that regardless of the situation, Calvin was loyal to those he served with. I had always thought that Calvin was just an citizen of Albion, so imagine my surprise when I came to Europeia to find that that wasn't the case.

It was here I learned how far Calvin's loyalty and honor really went to those he cared about. How little I truly knew of Calvin and how much his presence means to the people of Europeia.

One of the guidelines for Europeian of the Year was to explain the actions of the nominee throughout the year 2017. So I went back and I read everything I could publicly available about Calvin Coolidge. His 1st term as President, 4 terms as Vice President, his time as a Justice. Countless months of service as Minister of Foreign Affairs and Interior. A recruiting juggernaut. To focus on just one year out of four is difficult, but I will give it my best shot.

Duty

Despite his very public rebuke by the Region and his resignation of the Presidency; Calvin stepped up almost immediately filling in as Minister of Radio for President Malshaan's summer term. This after EBC declared that the now former President would take on a lighter work load just two months before. I don't know much about the executive structure of Europeia, but it would seem to me that taking on a high profile Cabinet position isn't exactly a light work load. But he wasn't done, Calvin went on to also serve as Chair of the Citizens Assembly and then a turn as Grand Admiral by the end of August under President Cat.

It takes guts and a sense of duty to dust yourself off after a public tongue lashing. I've met some of the biggest names that this game has to offer, some can take it and some can't. But Calvin stands out among them all with incredible personal strength and fortitude. In reading these articles and looking back it helped me to realize that Calvin never seems to be out for himself, he often revels in his jobs and enjoys them greatly but he always seems to be looking for the next best way to help Europeia move forward. His years of service are distinguished assuredly but the year 2017 will be known for his sense of Duty among all others.

Honor

In doing my research I learned of his 2nd Presidency and by the looks of the articles that were written and polls that were taken, it's clear it left something to be desired. Some who sit in the big chair can't take criticism, they might also take their ball and go home. But while it wasn't everything he could have hoped for and despite the calls for his head, he did not lash out. He did not try to hold onto the job or deflect blame, something our real world leaders could stop and take notice of.

Calvin honored the wishes of his constituents and stepped aside honorably; Putting the region ahead of personal glory. Or as then Senator, now Vice President Malshaan put it, “It is an honorable thing to do to step aside when you realize you cannot give the job the attention it deserves. Honor is one of those traits that you either have or you don't. Some approach Honor as if it is a product of a bygone era, something that went out of fashion years ago. Others view it as the sign of a true gentleman, someone who understands that public service is a privilege that should never be taken for granted. Calvin, in my eyes is truly the latter.

Country

Serving in the military often invites a sense of nationalism, a common bond and love of country. Anyone who serves or otherwise acts as the head of the military of a region knows that its future successes on the battlefield rests in the hands of those who are able to impart their wisdom on their junior officers. As Grand Admiral, Calvin worked to expand and recruit for the Reserves, wishing to expand their numbers by offering front line training with the hope of moving some to active duty. When controversy reared again, the Grand Admiral was there to quell it, standing by those under his Command and pledging to maintain the current policy which has withstood the test of time and invited countless successes by the region's military.

Calvin is a man of action, most men and women who serve or command in a region's military are by virtue this way, although admittedly not all. But I've learned in my short time and by reading the articles written that when Calvin speaks, quite often people listen. That is in itself the sign of a truly respected leader and Commander. True to form, when Calvin stood up for those under his command, people listened and while they may not have agreed the continued success of the ERN under his command silenced the critics.

Closing Remarks

At the beginning of this year, President Rach bestowed on Calvin a rare 'Ovation' for his long and distinguished service to the region. The term she used was 'everyday hero'. Like the person that he is, he took it in humble stride. I am sad to say that I am not close with Calvin, we don't speak everyday or really ever. Some of that is me for giving a bad first impression I'm sure, the other is that I didn't really know a lot about him to engage him in a conversation. Now, after reading about him, his career, his quiet professionalism and his dedication to service I am honored to say that I live in a region with Calvin Coolidge.

To be quite honest, nothing could top that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back