Europeian Chancellery Poll Results

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
From July 18th to July 20th, The Panda’s Pen had a poll open in the Grand Hall asking about various matters related to the Europeian Chancellery. Twenty-three people responded to that poll, and here are the results.

This question shows a fairly diverse respondent pool, with ten respondents becoming active in 2013 or earlier, and thirteen from 2014 or later.

We see that roughly half our respondent are in either the FEP or CRP, and the other half are affiliated with no party at all.

Now we enter our first big question on the Chancellery itself. We see that a plurality of the region feels positively about the Chancellery, however, it fails to reach 50%, showing the idea is not wholly popular. Despite that, those who outright oppose it are clearly the minority. It seems safe to call the public’s feelings “mixed, but supportive.

• Its membership is consistently abused by new blood -- such as Mousebumples who leveraged the role for political retribution against those she politically disagreed with.
  • It's an archaic remnant of the monarchy. I find it ironic that we celebrate Republic Day while allowing this autocratic organization to live on.
  • Disclaimer: I am Lethen
  • Anyone who hates is just blind to the awesomeness of HEM

The Chancellery Reduction Amendment (2017), currently on the Senate floor has pretty clear support from our respondents, which mirror the high levels of support the draft received in the Citizens’ Assembly vote just over a month ago. This also falls in line with our previous question, showing tepid support for the institution of the Chancellery overall.

• Too heavy-handed
  • This is a very strong step in the right direction... but it also guts the Chancellery, so now I'm going to bring up the argument: why do we need it? The Chancellery used to serve as a neutral arbiter / law enforcer, but now that function has been eliminated, and there's no reason the Court or even the President/Speaker couldn't administer elections.
  • It is an acceptable compromise, but I'd rather we maintain the SC status quo more or less.
  • So many powers were given just because the OSC seemed like the best fit of nothing but poor fits
    [*I love HEM, but the powers belong to the PEOPLE

This program splits positive and neutral support almost right down the middle, so it feels safe to say that rotating Vice Chancellors every so often ruffles no feathers. Whether that means people care less about the position itself, or simply who holds it, we aren’t sure.

• Don't care. Wish we had two Chancellor's, though.
  • I don't get what's rotating about it. Also, is Lethen ever going to administrate an election?
  • Meh
  • Perfect

*The one "nuetral" response is because I made a typo, but did not correct it before someone submitted their response. That response should be "neutral".

Getting now to specific Supreme Chancellors, HEM has high levels of support roughly one year removed from his resignation. This is, perhaps, unsurprising due to HEM’s founder status and lack of recent rabble rousing.

• Wasn't around for it
  • wasnt there when it was in action
  • HEM is the reason we created the position. The entire OSC should've been dismantled when he resigned. We should trick him into accepting a new constitutional Founder position in order to give him emergency powers again.
  • The OG, the standard to aspire to, not the hero we wanted but the hero we needed
  • i want to have HEM's children. To then be co-SC by association

Moving on now to the sole Supreme Chancellor in power right now, Lethen’s numbers are almost identical to HEM’s, save for one negative vote. Lethen remains an uncontroversial figure, despite the controversy swirling around the Chancellery in recent months.

• Lethen is in the middle right now for me.
  • I wish Lethen could make himself more regal and ceremonial.
  • I am Lethen so
  • I love Lethen

Mousebumples’ numbers are a stark departure from what we’ve seen in previous questions. While both HEM and Lethen had positive numbers hovering around 65%, Mouse fails to crack 50%, and actually has the plurality of respondents feeling negatively about her tenure. The comments point to a perception that she used this position more politically than some were comfortable with, which likely lead to these poor numbers.

• Leveraging her influence in the position to attack political enemies then flaming out with zero acknowledgment or apology is absolutely disturbing.
  • Mousebumples was very much a medium popularity, medium success politician prior to her appointment to the Chancellery. The Head of State should be somebody the whole region looks to as a role model, such as Writinglegend or Malashaan. Although I respect her, I would not have appointed Mousebumples.
  • Mouse was an excellent chancellor
  • look I asked for her resignation, so obviously I had my qualms but she also did a lot of her job well.
  • Haters will hate

• Writinglegend, CSP, Deepest House
  • Kraketopia, Writinglegend
  • HEM, Writinglegend, Malashaan, PLX (if he were active), maybe Calvin Coolidge.
  • Ervald
  • Watch Rach and Company love anyone but Mouse.
  • I am not going to comment on potential employees lol
  • Mal, WL (when he retires)
  • Writinglegend

In this list, the names we see pop up most frequently are Writinglegend (5), and Malashaan(2). Both are highly respected figures in the region, with a broad range of experience. Should the Chancellery be on the lookout for new additions, they could do a lot worse than these two.

And there we have it. The Chancellery remains to be viewed a mostly positive force in the region, with many supporting restrictions, but now supporting its current members and practices. Does anything in this poll surprise you? Feel free to respond down in this thread. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, plotting his next poll.

Raw Data.

Not surprised, there has been a clear message promoted by a select group. Their messaging was effective.

The most entertaining part of this is Lethen's consistent trail of comments through the survey.

I want to find that one person who threw out Ervald's name. :ph43r:

Great poll, and very interesting resorts.

HEM said:
The most entertaining part of this is Lethen's consistent trail of comments through the survey.
This also made me chuckle.

I will once again register my objection to Calvin's practice of facilitating anonymous personal attacks against his fellow citizens. At least they weren't tinged with misogyny this time around.

Kylia Quilor said:
HEM said:
The only saving grace of this entire nonsense.
Aexnidaral Seymour said:
HEM said:
This also made me chuckle.
HEM said:
You're all welcome :gentleman:

Interesting albeit unsurprising results. I do have a few things I feel should be addressed though.

It's an archaic remnant of the monarchy. I find it ironic that we celebrate Republic Day while allowing this autocratic organization to live on.
"Autocratic" :rolleyes: Yes (click me), the OSC fully meets that definition.
Its membership is consistently abused by new blood -- such as Mousebumples who leveraged the role for political retribution against those she politically disagreed with.
At least they were direct in naming Mousebumples instead of the preferred method of dancing around her name. Putting aside Mouse's behavior, let's look at this. First of all, the use of the word "consistently" is extremely flawed. If we're looking at the OSC - SCs and VCs - in the entirety of Euro history, I *could* see this. I can't speak for Drecq, Sopo, other VCs, etc. but HEM and I definitely (as both SCs and VCs) leveraged our role(s) to try to influence politics. Falc's tenure here is a great example. But that's much too broad, no? So let's look at the modern era. There's only been two people that have been new blood, and since Drecq isn't being some sneaky political savant behind my back, I imagine that limits the "new blood" to simply Mouse. Which makes the assertion that member is consistently abused by new blood thin, at best.

Too heavy-handed
Wut. How?
The Chancellery used to serve as a neutral arbiter / law enforcer, but now that function has been eliminated, and there's no reason the Court or even the President/Speaker couldn't administer elections.
(1) Why does the Chancellery suddenly no longer serve as a neutral arbiter?
(2) I don't want elected positions (directly or indirectly elected) running elections. That's a bad idea.

I don't get what's rotating about it. Also, is Lethen ever going to administrate an election?
I administrated elections recently, but admittedly I hate writing speeches (particularly for the Senate) and I typically close polls if I don't open them. Oh, and I also do other prep- and post-election work; there's more to our elections than simply setting up and closing a poll.

Also the reason this player may not "get what's rotating" about the rotating VC system is because Brun has been in the position for less than a month? Why would I rotate her out that abruptly? :p I am still ironing out the *exact* time table with Drecq and Brun, but the goal is to rotate VCs out in a way that leaves me at any given time with someone who has run at least one election in their tenure.

i want to have HEM's children. To then be co-SC by association
Why hello. :creepy:

I wish Lethen could make himself more regal and ceremonial.
Some rabble-rousers: its a monarchy! its autocratic!
Other rabble-rousers: he should be more regal and ceremonial, like a monarch.
Me: huh.

Leveraging her influence in the position to attack political enemies then flaming out with zero acknowledgment or apology is absolutely disturbing.
The timeline wasn't great because of how busy Mouse was/has been IRL, but she *did* apologize? :unsure:

Watch Rach and Company love anyone but Mouse.
:ph43r:
Also some of the suggested VCs made me chuckle. I mean, Ervald? :p And who suggested Kraken? Like honestly. :p

There's only been two people that have been new blood, and since Drecq isn't being some sneaky political savant behind my back, I imagine that limits the "new blood" to simply Mouse. Which makes the assertion that member is consistently abused by new blood thin, at best.

I guess I don't count as new blood. :(

Brunhilde said:
There's only been two people that have been new blood, and since Drecq isn't being some sneaky political savant behind my back, I imagine that limits the "new blood" to simply Mouse. Which makes the assertion that member is consistently abused by new blood thin, at best.

I guess I don't count as new blood. :(
Ah, fuck, sorry. :emb: Well to be fair you haven't had enough time to be a sneaky political snake and exploit your newfound soft power/abuse your role. I can offer you a pen and paper to write down the names of political enemies? I'll help go after them. I love being a corrupt autocrati. flail.gif :emb: :p

Lethen's lack of Regality is deeply concerning, to be fair. Lethen is probably the antithesis of Regality. In fact he is completely unfit to be King.

Whoever said that, kudos for coming up with it. What a ridiculous but profound comment.

North East Somerset said:
Lethen's lack of Regality is deeply concerning, to be fair. Lethen is probably the antithesis of Regality. In fact he is completely unfit to be King.

Whoever said that, kudos for coming up with it. What a ridiculous but profound comment.
I was thinking about it today and snickering. I really am the least regal person in Euro. :emb:

Lethen said:
Too heavy-handed
Wut. How?
That's my comment.

The Chancellery Reduction Amendment is too heavy-handed in its near blanket removal of the OSC. We shouldn't remove the OSC from the Emergency Powers Act (for starters).

Darcness said:
Lethen said:
Too heavy-handed
Wut. How?
That's my comment.

The Chancellery Reduction Amendment is too heavy-handed in its near blanket removal of the OSC. We shouldn't remove the OSC from the Emergency Powers Act (for starters).
I would agree with this. If the OSC isn't in the EP Act, that kind of defeats the purpose. The OSC's position as the stewards of out republic make them the perfect fic for the Emergency Powers Act.

Back