Lime

Lime Green At Last
Associate Justice
Senator
Cabinet
Deputy Minister
Citizen
Euro Weekly Issue 2

Local News: Senate and Cabinet Accountability.

This week in Euro the region has been discussing government accountability. The issue was raised due to Senators increasing discussing and debating legislation in private forums instead of in the Senate and in the public eye. The issue has had mixed opinion, President HEM and Speaker Malashaan have both suggested that the Senate Discord channel should be deleted though it was said of this idea that Senators could then be tempted to create their own private servers where there would be no accountability at all whereas at least with Discord people know it is there so a request for the transcripts could be made. Supreme Chancellor Mousebumples asked if it was possible for the Discord channel to be made viewable to the public but make it so that only Senators were given speaking rights. Vice President Common-Sense Politics however did not agree with this idea saying that he believes people only really want to see the transcripts in a year or two to see how the final conclusion was made.

This issue of accountability and communication was not just for the Senate, the issue also extended to the executive. After a mid-term executive poll showed that people were frustrated by the lack of communication from the Cabinet. It lead to President HEM opening a “Presidential Press Conference” where anyone could ask the President a question and receive an answer. It also lead to Foreign Affairs Minister Burnhilde to release a topic titled “Training Future Leaders” where she stated what the ministry had accomplished. Communications also released a topic titled “Cause It” where Kuramia also stated what had happened during that term. It is unclear yet if this is too little too late however we may find out that answer on Election Day.

Poll Results: Senate in the Wrong.

In our last issue we asked you if you approved or disapproved of the Senate’s decision to reject Rand as Minster of Orientation. We had 17 respondents and the overwhelming result was that people disapproved of the Senate’s decision. At total of 5 people or 29.4% of respondents said “yes” they approved of the Senate’s decision while 12 people or 70.6% said “no” they did not approve of the Senate’s decision. It won’t be clear until the end of term if this will have an effect on who gets re-elected however with such a large number of people saying that they disapprove of the Senate’s actions it is likely that the issue will come up during the Senate elections.

The Next Step for the Media

Guest columnist: Klatonia

You're not hallucinating: at the request of editor Punchwood, I'm posting a guest opinion column in the Euro Weekly. I'll tell you why in a minute.

It's a short column, written in one sitting with the material available. I just want to throw out what I think should be the next step for private media.

Let's start with statistics, more accurately: media statistics.

It's no secret that Hyanygo and I have our disagreements about a number of things. We also share deep, serious psychological issues, one of them being an irrational love for data. I'll readily recognize that data is not the end-all-be-all in decision-making. Hell, we've had some great leaders in Euro at times when data was almost a dirty word.

But it's fun anyways.

Hy and I are toying with data about the media, these days. Nothing to write home about, just a thought experiment. All I did was come up with the architecture; Hy compiled most of the data while I was at the Lake.

It is rumored that most of the relevant data could actually be extracted with a script and exported to the said spreadsheet. That's a hell of a wet dream. Imagine what we could do if we combined the strenght of this little baby with the leadership of someone focused on private media growth and support.

A guy can dream, right? Actually, a guy can and should do more than that.

This summer has seen a boom in private media. As many have expertly pointed out, however, this boom is likely to die out as people lose interest both as readers and as content providers. The former often end up losing track of the sheer volume of content being produced, while the latter lose motivation when faced with the rather erratic feedback and participation their content generates.

Hence why I'm contributing to the Euro Weekly. And why I gladly yielded polling and analysis duties to the PSI. I believe the next step for the media is two fold.

We first need to clear the field of the media outlets that don't meet the 60-days rule (a good one, IMO).

Second, editors and content producers should slowly start considering consolidation. Notice how much nuance is in there.

What: consolidation basically means to start thinking about the private media as a whole rather than individual parts.

Why: Decreasing the chances of readership attrition and content production fatigue. Polling is the best example: if everyone is polling, people care less. If the polling quality is atrocious, people care even less. Every media suffers.

How: I still have not made up my mind as to the ''how'', but it could take one or many differents forms. Coordination of publication between outlets. Organic allocation of specialties. Mergers. Joint publications. Multiple-persons writing teams (urgh...).

The possibilities are endless. One thing, though: I'm not advocating government intervention. Far from it, and President HEM's answer in that regards gave me a breather. It has to happen from the ground up. Someone somewhere needs to get the ball rolling towards some form of reorganization that will allow the private media to remain interesting enough so that readers don't simply stop reading.

I'm not applying for that position, but I'm doing my part. I yielded polling to the PSI and will give its analysis some coverage. I'm posting a guest column in the Euro Weekly.

What do you think? Would that be enough to keep the media alive? Are we doomed to booms and busts? Should the Admin be more involved?

Disclaimer: this publication is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily reflect the views of Euro Weekly.

Thanks for your writing, although I'd like to add that I don't think Comms and/or FA did this as a reaction to the poll. I welcome your decision to let Klatonia write a column. It's a good addition.

Back