ENN Poll: This Is Cat's Election To Lose

PhDre said:
GraVandius said:
Which statement best characterizes your view? (August 2017)

Older members expect to be handed political positions without putting in the work: 24.1% (+1.2%)
Older members work for political positions, but not as hard as newer members have to: 69% (+20.4%)
Older members work just as hard for political positions as newer members: 6.9% (-21.7%)
I'm wondering if this large change is due to the uproar of Possibly This's upset over Skizzy back then and a greater number of older members being up in arms over that issue. Now that things have returned to normal, I think less hysteria is the reason for that drop in the final category.
PT worked hard for his Senatorship. By which I mean he ran 9+ times. That election wasn't an example of young players working hard particularly for a position because PT did nothing of value legislatively besides run every election. It was definitely a referendum on experienced and qualified older members expecting that new / younger citizens value their previous contributions without continued visible service. It did not help that skizzy does not use discord which we see time and again is a political edge.
I think attributing skizzy's loss to discord is a mischaracterization. He was practically invisible prior to running for that term in senate, if newer members knew him at all it was as someone who rarely ever posted. We had no reason to vote for him because we didn't know him. After that loss he stepped up his activity, and when he ran again he was handily elected to the senate, still without using discord.

Activity matters. I think people tend to put too much emphasis on how much someone uses discord.

What was PTs interaction in the region? Iirc it was purely social, and there was basically nothing he had done in the CA. A very accomplished older member ran against a very unaccomplished and very "I haven't done any work at all besides run for office" member and lost. Not to mention that Calvin iirc lost to both of them.

GraVandius said:
Which statement best characterizes your view? (August 2017)

Older members expect to be handed political positions without putting in the work: 24.1% (+1.2%)
Older members work for political positions, but not as hard as newer members have to: 69% (+20.4%)
Older members work just as hard for political positions as newer members: 6.9% (-21.7%)
I'm wondering if this large change is due to the uproar of Possibly This's upset over Skizzy back then and a greater number of older members being up in arms over that issue. Now that things have returned to normal, I think less hysteria is the reason for that drop in the final category.
This threads seems to have morphed into a discussion on Possibly This, but I think that it's important to note that that particular incident occurred in very early 2017, whereas the first time this question got asked was months later in March. So, that's to say, that the Possibly This incident was fully cashed in when we got the first set of results on the "older members vs. newer members work for positions" question. The decline since then has to have been for other reasons.

PhDre said:
What was PTs interaction in the region? Iirc it was purely social, and there was basically nothing he had done in the CA. A very accomplished older member ran against a very unaccomplished and very "I haven't done any work at all besides run for office" member and lost. Not to mention that Calvin iirc lost to both of them.
What you are forgetting is that there is a population of social members that don't do much else.

While the election was surprising, he won it.

Back