Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"Presidential Race 'Too Close To Call'"
HEM Tiberius Frollo
Editor-in-Chief

With one week until polls open in Europeia, this election season's first voter opinion survey has revealed a deeply divided electorate in a race that is too close to call for now.

ENN surveyed 58 registered voters. Despite concerns of tampering, the age demographic of this poll almost perfectly matched ENN's Culture & Politics poll last month. No suspicious entries were found in the data.

58.7% of respondents said that they were happy with the choices they were given in this Presidential election cycle. 36.2% said that they wished more tickets were running, while 5.2% said they wished less candidates were vying Europeia's highest office.

When asked who they were currently favoring in the race, here's what they said:

When we broke down the data by age, we found a deep divide in Europeia's electorate. New members broke toward supporting Calvin Coolidge, while old members broke for Common-Sense Politics.

Calvin Coolidge's narrow lead with new members, however, does not come close to Common-Sense Politics' commanding lead with old members.

However, the devil is in the details. While on first glance CSP seems close to the finish line, he has his own challenges to overcome. These problems are why, despite his 20% lead, ENN is categorizing this race as "Too Close To Call."

Common Sense Politics' Voters

We asked CSP's voters two questions: how strongly do you support your candidate, and who would you vote for if your candidate were eliminated?

Here are their answers:

57.1% of CSP's voters indicate that they "might change their mind" in comparison to 42.9% who indicated that they were "definitely" going to vote for the incumbent Grand Admiral.

It's very unlikely that CSP would be eliminated in the first round, however, bad news for Kaboom in that he is not many CSP voters' second choice.

I love his ideas for integration and having Cat around to help out (especially with the new radio minister) certainly doesn't hurt.

We have a FA problem, CSP knows how to get us on a positive track better than anyone, and the other tickets are sorely lacking in FA experience. Also killing the ambassador program.

His platform is the strongest and his ideas are reasonable. If he can avoid getting busy in RL, since that appears to be his curse lol

i havent been around for long but both COmmon-Sense and Cat seem to have done great this term so yeah why not give them a go

Though I like the Calvin ticket, I think CSP just *edges* them in terms of his views on our foreign affairs agenda and Discord (particularly in the framework of keeping activity and institutional memory forum-side).

I am Common-Sense Politics.

CSP is an externally focused executive and it is what we need right now

VP Choice

I think he is both experienced and offers the chance to change things up. That's a rare combo.

CSP's platform was very strong. Succinct, interesting, and, most of all, it showed a lot of vision for Europeia. He has some new ideas that I like (CSO), and he definitely has the chops if he's all-in for the whole term.

He is not a limp dick

He is Great!!!!

Calvin Coolidge's Voters

We asked Calvin's voters two questions: how strongly do you support your candidate, and who would you vote for if your candidate were eliminated?

Here are their answers:

Calvin has a much more loyal base than CSP, with 80% of his voters saying that they will "definitely" vote for him. Only 20% might change their mind.

In terms of the second round voting, this is a better number for Kaboom than what he got among CSP's voters, but he still needs to build on this. Kaboom's narrow path to the Presidency will almost certainly require Calvin Coolidge being eliminated, and most of his voters going to Kaboom. Right now he's only getting a third.

He has a balanced platform.

Experience, activity, bae.

Calvin has shown great passion for Euro, and has delivered time after time. He'll balance common sense, experience, and new ideas to create the best path for Euro forward. Darc is a great VP choice, there's a lot of potential in this newer member.

Proven leader. Darc is very strong VP. Like him as VP more than cat who is good tho

I am not 100 per cent sold on supporting Calvin but he has my vote SO FAR

I am more likely to support him because he has good experience. He has experience in all the major posts. All the 3 candidates are good, but Calvin is the foremost among them

Ideas align, he's well qualified

Calvin's ticket is the only ticket I can really put my trust in. The other platforms were lacking details, concrete plans, or any kind of assurance that the candidates knew what they were doing. I've worked with both Calvin and Darcness before, and I know that they can make true what they promise, which is something I don't feel at all when I look at the other candidates. They have respect for each area of the Executive, and have practical plans on how to improve. I hope future candidates learn from what Calvin and Darcness have put together here.

He has a great plan and is clear on his policy. His CSO reform plan is amazing and is a great idea.

Kaboom's Voters

We asked Kaboom's voters two questions: how strongly do you support your candidate, and who would you vote for if your candidate were eliminated?

Here are their answers:

Kaboom also has a loyal voter base — though not as quite as loyal as Calvin's. Like Calvin, however, exactly 2/3rds of his voters say that their second choice is CSP.

Calvin is just more status quo, CSP doesn't have a comprehensive domestic policy. Kaboom and Rand have a strong plan for CSO and actually some interesting new ideas about how the executive will be organized. I think it's a good shot at success and we should see what happens.

I am interested in the changes he wishes to make.

Undecided Voters

We asked undecided voters this key question: If you *had* to say, who would you vote for?

Here are their answers:

Undecided voters actually mimic the results of those who specified a preference on the original question. Common-Sense Politics actually underperforms with undecided voters, while Kaboom and Calvin over perform a bit.

Calvin & CSP are both very good candidates.

I literally joined 2 days ago, man. I'm very confused.

Calvin and CSP both have pitfalls that turn me off, but CSP touches more with what I believe, which is that Europeia needs a greater presence on the GP forum, something that has been lacking in our past few terms

Calvin and Common-Sense Politics are similar canidates in all but personality im not sure who I would really choose but i think CSP because Cat is nice

Not having finished reading all the platforms yet

They're all quite similarly good and bad, in different ways.

Darcness seems to have done a good job as Vice President but I cant vote for Calvin since i have been around all he has done is take snarky shots at the cabinet as if they are the root of all evil i dont' think someone like that deserves to be president C-S P would be my second choiec but I am concerned about his activity he seems to be present and cat balances him quite well but . . . I will probably vote for Kaboom and hope that there is a run off so i acn better observe the candidates

Summation

In this section, we'll briefly get inside the candidates heads to summarize some of the data here:

If you are CSP, what are you happy about?

If you are CSP, you are happy to be in the lead. You have a comfortable raw vote lead over both your opponents — and better yet — both those opponents voters' say you are their second choice.

You are also doing better with new members than people might suspect on first glance. This may be partially due to Cat's presence on the ticket.

If you are CSP, what is keeping you up at night?

If you're CSP, you're probably having night terror flashbacks from the election in April 2016 that featured a really familiar cast of candidates. You fought to a draw in the first round of voting, and then built up an early lead in the second round of voting, until Calvin fought his way back for the victory.

CSP's position here is a bit stronger, but he still doesn't have a majority of voters. Indeed, his own voter coalition is large, but shallow. A majority of his voters outrightly admit that they might end up voting for someone else.

If you are CSP, you are trying to figure out how to seal the deal with everyone who is already leaning toward you, and avoiding making any faux pas to send them into the arms of the other guys.

If you are Calvin, what are you happy about?

Firstly, you are happy that CSP hasn't snagged a majority of the vote. You are also pleased that your voter base is the most loyal of any of the candidates in the race.

You are extremely happy that the majority of CSP's supporters are "soft" and that a supermajority see you as the second best option. You are definitely wondering how you could nudge them into your column. If you can get even half of CSP's "might vote for someone else" voters, suddenly you win in round one.

If you are Calvin, what's keeping you up at night?

You know that you're drastically underperforming both your 2016 runs for the Presidency. CSP has a lot more roads to the Goldenblock than you do, and he has a lock on the old guard vote.

You want to peel back some of that support, which will probably require a renewed focus on foreign policy in your campaign. Getting a major party endorsement would help too.

If you are Kaboom, what are you happy about?

Not much. These poll results are pretty rough for Kaboom. Some of the early numbers looked more promising (at one point he was about even with Calvin), but starting from only 10% is rough.

If you're Kaboom, you are happy about how loyal your base is.

If you are Kaboom, what is keeping you up at night?

Besides the raw vote totals? You're definitely concerned about you're lackluster performance with new members and your underperformance as a "second choice."

At this point, I would bet cash that Kaboom cannot win on a first ballot. However, there is a very narrow path through a second ballot. However, it requires edging out Calvin and then getting most of his voters — none of those two things are true at the moment.

Kaboom has tried to distance himself slightly from the EPP, and that's probably been a mistaken. If Kaboom wants to inject life back into his campaign, he first needs to get the EPP endorsement. He then needs to rally together a strong coalition of new members that lets him claw his way past Calvin.

Part of Kaboom's strategy will depend on a faux pas or scandal from another candidate — maybe CSP losing his cool with someone, or people trying to make a campaign issue out of all of Calvin's negative newspaper articles over the last few months.

Results on "Other Issues" including the Presidential Approval Rating will be released tomorrow

Interesting results. Not overly surprising, but it'll be interesting to see how things play out in the coming days.

This is my first presidential election in Euro, it certainly looks like a close one! It's exciting. :D Good luck, everyone! <3

More or less what I expected, but it's a bit more tilted to CSP than I thought it would be. The large number of voters who "might vote for someone else" could be his curse if Calvin performs well in the debates or if CSP himself makes some sort of blunder, but it's impossible to know exactly how soft that support is.

Sopo said:
More or less what I expected, but it's a bit more tilted to CSP than I thought it would be. The large number of voters who "might vote for someone else" could be his curse if Calvin performs well in the debates or if CSP himself makes some sort of blunder, but it's impossible to know exactly how soft that support is.
Are we officially having debates? Who's hosting/moderating?

Mousebumples said:
Sopo said:
I don't know, but it would be a huge missed opportunity if we didn't.

Sopo said:
Mousebumples said:
Sopo said:
I don't know, but it would be a huge missed opportunity if we didn't.
*nods*

*calls Not It*

In hindsight, I wish I had time to read Kaboom's platform before answering questions. Because I missed his, I skipped commentary on all of his questions. *shrugs* Oh well.

Back