Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his

"ENN Poll: Europeia Is Restless"
HEM
Editor-In-Chief

After a sleeping summer, Europeia seems to be ready for change—a lot of it.

Surveying 22 Europeians over a 24 hour period, ENN found that when asked to rate the performances of specific officials (specifically in this case, the President) they gave average-above average scores. The more broadly they were asked to assess the region, however, the more critical they got.

President Drexlore sits on a 77.2% approval rating, which according to previous ENN research would make him an abnormally popular President. When we caught him huffing glue behind the bleachers at Europeia Elementary, Vice President Sopo remarked: "I think [Drexlore's popularity] has a lot to do with his consistent social presence and friendly demeanor + benefit of the doubt so far given not much has actually happened to measure."

Former WA Delegate Aexnidaral Seymour agreed, adding: "Yeah, I think in general elevated Vice Presidents get a little benefit of a 'second chance' so to speak, in addition to what Sopo said about him being social and friendly."

When asked about the entire Cabinet, however, the region's approval drops roughly 15 points to 63.6%.

"While overall I'd say the cabinet is doing well, I think there are a few cases where it's clear that there's a lack of progress or... visible gumption?" Aexnidaral told ENN absentmindedly while typing out a text message to someone that was riddled with eggplant emojis.

Indeed, in the past few weeks, several Ministers have come under fire inaction. World Assembly Delegate Ervald has faced another round of criticism for still failing to secure the World Assembly Delegacy. Culture Minister Vulturret has been largely quiet aside from updating the Weekend Games Leaderboard last Tuesday.

When given an advanced copy of our poll results, President Drexlore defended his Cabinet saying, "I think we've had a lot of ministers that were limited with how they couldn't do things with the transfer. Now that everyone is back in, I want to give a boost of activity to all my ministers. Hopefully, we can see many great things come from them. I know a few have been doing work behind the scenes."

Finally, when asked about the performance of the term independent of any particular official or offices, Europeia offers a fairly pessimistic take. Less than 40% of the region feel that things are going well, though the introduction of a "Meh / Unsure" option makes the numbers on this particular question tricky to compare to the others. Regardless, there is certainly a sense of apprehension in the air.

"From the outside looking in honestly it kind of feels like Europeia has been frozen in carbonite on a slow descent downwards and no one really knows how to stop it; but it also kind of seems like things are ticking up after the forum transfer and people are slowly becoming more optimistic?" Aexnidaral says.

ENN last asked the question of reform in mid-Feburary, where broadly only 29.6% of the region felt we needed to consider "major changes". Today, 81.8% of citizens see a need for changes, with 50% saying explicitly that they need to be major changes.

When presented with the numbers, Vice President Sopo remarked that it was "good" but that he expected "even more citizens" to be in favor of reform.

"I'd also like to know who the 'no change needed' people are," Sopo said. "It's like that comic with the dog in the burning building saying 'everything is fine'."

When asked to consider specific areas of reform, the data is muddy. The vast amount of support goes to reforming the executive branch, with slightly under a majority saying the legislative branch needs major reform as well.

The region seems to have positive, though not overwhelmingly positive feelings toward the Senate. With the chaos around the forum transition, it's possible many people haven't been paying attention to the granular business of the legislative branch and are left with mostly lukewarm feelings.

Finally, ENN posited a demographic question to get a sense of where the region was culturally. A plurality of the region indicated that they mostly played for political gameplay, but some socialization as well. Tied for second was "social and political evenly" and soley "political gameplay" as prime motivators for remaining involved in Europeia.

"This doesn't really seem to be an accurate representation of how the region actually feels. It feels much more social. But maybe people also define political differently than me," Vice President Sopo mused. "On the other hand, political people were probably more likely to take the poll..."

"There's a good chunk of politics that is built into being social, but I think that if you're looking for a predominantly socially driven community you should go play Second Life, and not a political simulator lol," Aexnidaral Seymour said, chuckling at his own joke.

##​

huffs glue

I like the combination of interviews and polling. Nice work which gives insight into the sentiment of the region. :)

I like the combination of interviews and polling. Nice work which gives insight into the sentiment of the region. :)

I'm definitely going to try to do more of that.

Back