HEM

former
Jorts Connoisseur
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
Pronouns
he / him / his
"ENN Election Chat — Discussion On Exclusive Results Of Latest NewsGrumps Poll"

Welcome to ENN's first Election Chat, where we bring people together to discuss what's up with the ongoing elections. Today we were provided an advance copy of Aexnidaral's "NewsGrumps" poll, the only poll taken after JayDee dropped out as Brunhilde's running mate.

For all the numbers and punditry, read on!

HEM: (ENN Publisher)

Hey everyone. Thanks for tuning into ENN's first Election Chat of the October 2017 Election. I'm HEM Tiberius, and with me today is some random people we pulled out of EuroChat, erm, I mean, our veteran political commentators!

So I am going to share some numbers from NewsGrumps' latest election poll. Because this is a cheap cable TV substitute, we are going to start with the more boring questions and end with the one everyone cares about!

Let's get started!

Calvin Coolidge: (Former President)

43 responses? Whoa.

Rand: (Attorney General)

FYI 7% of 43 is 3.

Festavo: (Senator)

Wow. Rach is certainly very polarizing according to this poll.

Snowball: (Deputy Minister)

Not surprising

Calvin Coolidge:

It's a pretty clear difference, obviously in the Vice Presidential picks. Sopo is consistently popular in recent polls, and that trend continues here. The other tickets failed to find someone who could rival him in approval, and that does not do them any favors. Brun had to get some strong positive numbers after the recent ticket swap, and she does not get that. If anything, these numbers are just as bad, if not worse. Kudos to Darc for making a smart pick, at least on paper.

Snowball:

Sopo does not bring up controversy or hate the way Rach might, and people don't know Templar. As Calvin said, this will be a huge disappointment for Brun.

Festavo:

I said before that Rach would be the discussion generating and controversial pick Brun could make and it seems to ring true. On paper Sopo seems as popular as Bernie Sanders in Vermont. Darc made a wise choice and only time will tell if Brun's gamble will pay off. The numbers aren't kind.

Calvin Coolidge:

The question is: does Brun really need more controversy in this race? What does she gain from that?

Snowball:

She can not afford any. And last i checked, wasn't there a minicontriversery with rach being on a ticket with Brun, a SC?

Festavo:

She doesn't need more controversy and logic would dictate that she won't gain anything from it. It's a very risky gamble and these numbers are not encouraging in the slightest. It's worth noting that the prevalent opinion prior to this poll was that Rach is the best pick Brun could reasonably make.

Rand:

Looking only at the VP numbers, the majority of respondents disapprove of Rach. In some ways, I thought she was an improvement from JayDee, but JayDee only had 34% disapproval in the last poll. I think that last poll was before the controversy broke out on their platform thread though - I would've liked to see some numbers on JayDee's approval now. Rach lead the populist FEQ for awhile and I thought that would improve her numbers.

Sopo's high approval ratings are surprising. I thought the apparent failure of the States program and his low profile over these past few months would create more of a drag on his approval.

Overall, these numbers are flat, this race is sick. Can we skip to the more interesting questions now?

HEM:

Okay, let's move to the President favorables.

Same question, but with the top of the ticket:

Calvin Coolidge:

Darc's got a 90% approval rating, while Brun has 70%. 20% might not seem like a big difference, but when you consider only 10% of the region disapproves of Darc as a candidate, you have to wonder how anyone can counter that (unless the strength of his support is weak, but those numbers haven't been provided yet). For some reason, despite the region not being familiar with Dark Templar or Oakrugia, Oakruiga has avoided more of the disapproval than Templar. Do we place more blame on the VPs for longshot tickets now?

Festavo:

It looks like Darcness is extremely well liked in the region today. It looks like Sopo isn't the only one the majority of people want to stalk :stuck_out_tongue: The Darc/Sopo ticket is looking like fire on paper right so far. Extremely favorable numbers here.

Brunhilde seems to be reasonably liked here. Much better numbers than her running mate, but nowhere near the level of universal love her opponent is getting. Brunhilde seems to be the more popular one on the ticket but I don't think it's enough to outweigh the poor numbers for Rach. Their ticket is definitely more controversial.

Snowball:

Darc's popularity really shows here. Forget about Sopo, he is the real Bernie Sanders.
Brun has good numbers, but I think she does not resonate with younger members as much, which may lead to these numbers. Sometimes you have to have a personal connection to rate them really highly.

Yet again, people either think Oak is green or just don't know him.

Festavo:

Honestly, Darc isn't Bernie. Darc is Mother Teresa here lol

HEM:

I do think it is interesting that both major candidates have, for what it's worth, very positive approvals

Like obviously Darc comes out ahead here, but I don't see a lot of venom here?

Snowball:

For me, it really comes down to the VP.

I think both candidates would do a really god job.

Rand:

Darc's crew is big and it keeps getting bigger. His 90% approval is up from 77% last time. Brunhilde is also up, from 57% to 63%. This is all meaningless without an adversarial comparison.

Calvin Coolidge:

I wonder if Brun also got a boost of sympathy from the whole JayDee situation? I think her numbers were lower in the last poll?

Rand:

Word up, Calvin.

Festavo:

Rach has more avenues for attack than Sopo. The only thing people can really attack Sopo for is bolting mid term in the past. That's a concerning thing but it isn't as juicy as attacking Rach on alleged hypocrisy or things like that.

Rand:

I'm freestyling here without the real numbers. Both candidates are boringly popular. How do Brun and Darc do in a face off?

HEM:

One more question first!

The logical next question: the popularity of all three tickets as combined entities.

Calvin Coolidge:

Looks like the approval numbers are pretty much averages of the two candidates, which helps no ticket in particular, but really hurts Brun/Rach, who have the widest disparity between the two candidates on the ticket. Brun is definitely dragged down, and that can't be good for the ticket's chances.

Snowball:

Darcness/Sopo has a whooping 83.7% average, we see here that Rach really brings Brun down, and Oak is too green for people.

Festavo:

The Darcness/Sopo ticket is really looking like it's on fire right now. It's uncontroversial and lovable. It's like white cake. It may not be very exciting but it's reliable.

The Brun/Rach ticket is definitely more controversial. Approval is above 50% but again nowhere near Darc/Sopo. The numbers aren't looking very good for them. They aren't white cake here. They are definitely something more like spice cake. People are going to have differing opinions here. It doesn't bode well for getting elected.

Rand:

She's not really a game changer or political arranger. Rach's only pulled Brunhilde's ticket down 1.5%; Brun/JayDee was 45.7, Brun/Rach is 44.2. It's certainly throwing some doubt into voters' minds though; B/J was 20% Strong Approval, B/R is down 4% to 16%.

Darcness might as well've been born to a virgin mom in a manger. His ticket's at 84% approval, so that's double Brun/Rach's. We can't really predict the race without seeing the head-to-head numbers, but I think it's become clear that Darcness/Sopo is the leader in this race. That could be a good or bad thing.

HEM:

Awesome. Great insight everyone.

Gonna throw the head-to-head numbers up, as well as the numbers on whether people would be likely to change their minds or not

Snowball:

Darcness has over 55%, and most of the undecideds lean towards him. But the fact that 40% might change their mind says Brun still has a chance, but the way things are going now, it doesn't look like thats going to happen.

Calvin Coolidge:

When both Presidential candidates have such high approval, I suppose it's not that surprising there is this much uncertainty still in the minds of the voters. Obviously, Darc is a much better position here, winning handily in both scenarios, but there is time for votes to shift to Brun. Since she is less popular, though, I wonder what she can do to win over voters that she hasn't already done. Perhaps change her Radio plan, which seems to have generated the most criticism? I don't know, these numbers have to make Darc happy. And Oak actually manages to pick up some votes once voters are forced to choose, though it looks like it won't be enough to force a runoff, unless it gets a lot more competitive.

Festavo:

These numbers are unsurprising considering the approval ratings. Darcness is absolutely dominating this race and its going to be extremely tough for Brunhilde to overcome that. The silver lining in the cloud for her is that 41% of people could change their mind, but even then it won't be easy at all. She is going to need to summon a divine hand from God or Buddha to pull this off. It's possible because polls may not be 100% accurate and there are a lot of people open to changing their minds (whether they are mostly leaning to her or Darc is unknown) plus you have to take into account the people who only read platforms last minute and make up their mind on election day. It's a lot of maybes. The safe money is on Darc at this point, but anything can happen. It isn't over until the last vote is cast.

Rand:

This flash poll was too fast. People need time to sit down and take some water or wine, whatever drink, exchange 'eir thoughts. 41.9% saying they might change their mind basically means nothing is decided now. If everyone who said "I might change my mind" did so, then it's possible Brunhilde would jump to 70% and Darcness fall to 30%. At this point, it's still anyone's game. Nobody's going to die for any sins yet, as far as I can tell. Brun/Rach is not in the "hail mary" range yet.

Festavo:

Well, we can't just assume all 40% voted for Darc in the poll.

Rand:

It's mathematically possible.

Snowball:

Im going to guess 30% or so of the undecideds are for Brun

Rand:

I preach numbers, that's my gig.

Festavo:

So is Oak getting 40% of the vote and possibly winning it all. That's mathematically possible.

HEM:

Just doing some napkin math here.

We have 43 people who took the poll. That means 25 are behind Darc, 8 are behind Brun, and 10 are undecided.

Of all of those people, 18 people might change their mind. Moreover, my hunch is that the "might change their mind" isn't in Brun's favor, as the undecideds widely break for Darc when given the chance in the next question.

The numbers here are formidable for Brunhilde, to be completely honest. Something with have to fundamentally shift for Brun to come back, and I'm not sure what that would be because Darc and Sopo have been pretty boring and polished.

Rand:

This is something every poll needs but none of them do: correlative analysis. I need to see how many of those undecideds belong to Brun/Rach. I need to see how the people who are rating Rach poorly are then rating Brunhilde.

Calvin Coolidge:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the 40% be seen as the numbers in the second questions, where half of the previously undecideds go for Darc and half go for Brun?
Yeah, some specifics would be nice, of course, but we don't have that

HEM:

One thing I will say is that this poll was put out probably at Brunhilde's rock bottom - right after JayDee left the ticket and her running mate got questioned about running with a Vice Chancellor when she was previously opposed.

I would expect Brunhilde to finish higher than the numbers in this poll. But I would not expect her to win based on this.

Rand:

I agree. Like I said, too fast. Brun may rhyme better after recovering from the JayDee incident.

Snowball:

I would guess, that if taken today, Brun would be higher, but Darc might also, given that Election Day is closing in.

Festavo:

The only way we can find out for sure is to watch the results on election day. It will be an interesting election for sure. Entertaining for some and nerve racking for others.

Rand:

I don't think it'll be entertaining or nerve-wracking. I said it before, I'll say it again: this election is boring. All the candidates, I wish them well.

HEM:

A question for the panel: Why is Brunhilde struggling to connect with the electorate. While this election isn't over yet, she is pretty far behind a candidate who is more-or-less completely opposite from her previous opponent, Cat. To me, that suggests something about Brunhilde isn't sitting well with the electorate. Am I right, and what is that thing?

Rand:

Brun hasn't held elected office in like a year. She hasn't passed the mic.

Snowball:

Brun does not resonate with newer members like Darcness does. New members know Darc from FA, and have probably had a conversation with him. Brun, on the other hand, is more reserved and has not held a office in a while

Calvin Coolidge:

I don't know if Darc is the opposite of Cat, at least in one key area: activity. Brun is someone viewed as less active than desirable for a President, and she has not done much to change that perception since the last time she ran. If her opponent is someone incredibly active and visible, like Cat or Darc, then Brun suffers, and we're seeing that again here.

Rand:

This is hitting close to home.

Festavo:

Brunhilde has a perception issue. The perception is that she doesn't do anything until election season and then shoots for the highest office in the land. I'd argue that that isn't the reality of the situation at all, but the perception is there and that is hard to shake. People like to vote for somebody that is getting public results now instead of a year ago. People can have short memories and they see Darcness' popular time as MoFA as more important than his rather boring Presidency and they see Brun as a low key Vice Chancellor as more important than her successful time as MoFA, MoC, and unfortunately interrupted time as VP. She is having a hard time shaking this issue and she will likely need to put it to rest before she can become President

Calvin Coolidge:

It also does not help that Brun's strength is only in one area, and something countered in both elections. WL was the FA counter in the last election, and Darc is the counter now. On top of that, the other candidates bring something else to table. Brun really brings only the one thing, and that hurts her.

Festavo:

Brun is more well rounded than she gets credit for but her home is very obviously foreign affairs. That's her passion and you can tell that influences most everything for her.

Calvin Coolidge:

Most people are more well rounded than they get credit for, but in elections credit is mostly what matters.

Snowball:

When you look at Brun's "Home" ministries, it doesn't really look like she knows what she is talking about, and theres nothing new

Calvin Coolidge:

The fact is that she is only cultivating one image, that of a FA stalwart. That's a decision she has made by devoting the vast majority of her time there, so people are not judging her entirely unfairly if that's all they see, at least in recent terms.

Darc and Cat diversified, and it paid off. (Well, might pay off, for Darc)

Festavo:

In the event that she loses this election she will need to really re-evaluate and alter her image before she runs again.

Snowball:

But if she loses this, will she run again?

Festavo:

Next cycle? I'd advise against it.

HEM:

I feel like she'd have to take a term to serve in a Cabinet or Senate.

Calvin Coolidge:

Yeah, if she loses two times in a row trying the same thing, she'd be ignoring something big to try again with the same tactic.

Festavo:

At least 1. It depends on multiple factors. She could be better suited running for Vice President next cycle or the one after that and serving a VP term or two to prove a few things and help perception.

Calvin Coolidge:

*At least. We don't know that she will run again, but if she does, she'd likely be better off waiting

Running for Vice President might carry a different standard now, honestly. But that's another discussion.

HEM:

Cool, any closing thoughts?

Anyone feel comfortable making a prediction?

Snowball:

Darcness has this in his pocket. He will win without a runoff.

Rand:

Don't be so hard on Brun. I think she'll have a respectable showing, maybe win if she plays a really good hand.

Calvin Coolidge:

You pretty much have to lean Darc after these two polls, but predicting a sure thing with this amount of uncertainly seems too bold. I think it is fair to say that Brun has suffered a few setbacks, and that they have lessened her chances of winning, but it is not yet out of reach.

HEM:

Darc will win, 60%+

Come at me if I'm wrong —

— But I won't be.

Snowball:

I'll say 55%+

Festavo:

I'm not going to make any solid predictions. I'll be voting for Brun but, if I had to bet, I'd bet my money on Darc. I'd like to extend my very best wishes to both of the candidates and I know both would do a good job. I just happen to think Brun would do a better job :wink: Election day is coming up on us soon and I can't wait to see how this plays out. If Brun wins it will be a huge upset.

HEM:

I don't trust any man, but I do trust the polls.

Calvin Coolidge:

Now if Oak wins, that'll be the upset.

Festavo:

That would be a colossal upset.

But it is mathematically possible.

Check Out NewsGrumps tomorrow for the full release of their latest poll!

Thanks to HEM and the panelists! This was neat. I look forward to tomorrow publishing the full results. I think my data has one surprise left!

I think the commentors suggesting she should try to be a VP for a time or two or needs to wait until she can get a Ministry are definitely on to something here - though that's also easier said than done, by a very great amount.

I think Brun made a mistake running this term at all, because it feeds into her perception issues that were there last time - it actually is true that she was active in the EAAC quite a bit (at least during the period of the term when I could see it) but the EAAC isn't very visible, and that's a good thing (we don't want the EAAC visible, after all), but it does have political costs. Visible action of some sort is very important for races, and Darc has been in and around the government very publicly for the last several terms now.

I also do agree that Brun doesn't feel as approachable as Darc - I mean, I'll admit, I got off on a very bad foot with Brun when I first joined the region, so that colors my opinion of her approachability, plus, I'm already friends with Darc and so my view here needs quite a few grains of salt.

Of course, 43 poll takers is hardly the full electorate. The people who don't take polls could break hard for Brun.

Perception is the big issue for Brunhilde as I have said before. She's been around and contributing (or at least trying to) but it is not very easy for most people to see. It isn't the kind of visible activity and results that Darcness has the advantage on. Although I have spoken to Brunhilde more than Darcness, it seems that Darc is a little more approachable for most people (like Kylia said) so that gives him an advantage. His approval numbers are off the chain according to this poll and I don't have much reason to think those numbers are very inaccurate.

It is an uphill battle for Brun/Rach for sure. They can still pull it off and that would be quite marvelous to see. It's just very hard to be the ticket running against baby jesus in a manger and penicillin. Taking into account that not everybody that approves of Darc and Sopo will vote for them, an underdog victory is still possible if the right cards are played and minds are swayed. I really hope they pull it off.

This is my second time being on an ENN Election Chat and each time has been a great experience. I'd like to thank HEM for allowing me to come on again and I hope this discussion was insightful and entertaining for everybody involved in the chat and those reading it later. I'd also like to thank Aex for giving us these early results to talk about. 43 respondents is quite a lot for a poll and the turnaround he is getting on these is great.

It also does not help that Brun's strength is only in one area, and something countered in both elections. WL was the FA counter in the last election, and Darc is the counter now. On top of that, the other candidates bring something else to table. Brun really brings only the one thing, and that hurts her.

For what it's worth, I've also served as Culture Minister twice and had decently successful terms while doing so. Granted, it's been a while.

I'm curious about the narrative that Darc is my FA counter. As a Minister, he has had one treaty handed to him on a silver platter thanks to the contributions of past administrations, oversaw the creation of two treaties that have contributed nothing to either region in both instances, and insulted the leadership of Osiris when they decided to skip the rebuilding the relationship part in favor of going straight to the reformation of a treaty, all without talking about the issue with the sitting Delegate and Pharaoh. Meanwhile, FA AMs have been relegated to being mail carriers with titles despite statements about them being no such thing, content distributed abroad has been so uninteresting that a thread about a Gameplay RP war gets more engagement, and the DTC has completely died.

I don't know. Maybe I'm tooting my horn too much by thinking that I have had a better record than that.

Darc is part of the school of thought that considers the DTC meaningless - a school of thought that includes a great many successful politicians, presidents and MoFAs.

Which treaties are which, in your list, because I'd really like to know where you're putting the Treaty of Marigold.

And what exactly is your signature FA achievement, Brun. CAIN? Can you really toot that horn anymore? It was a flawed construction from the start to try and force that many regions into a room together, it was held together entirely by your will, which speaks well to your skill on that front, but not to your ability to initiate successful longterm initiatives, and based on everything I've read from your tenure as MoFA (though here, I will grant I've hardly read every relevant thread and since I wasn't here at the time my view doesn't stand for much) I am distinctly unimpressed with your six months in the ministry.

If we're going to start the attacks, let's do it in full force.

This was a great read. Really insightful. Nice job on the analysis and thanks to Aex for the poll results.

I think the discussion on the VP is important to have. What if someone isn't satisfied with any of the Presidential candidates? Then there are a couple of things an individual can do: 1) run themselves, but this is for a very small population of the region that could actually win, 2) not vote, which is a solid, democratic option, or 3) vote based on VP candidate.

Kylia Quilor said:
Which treaties are which, in your list, because I'd really like to know where you're putting the Treaty of Marigold.
The Treaty of Marigold comes as a result of a long-established friendship that only died because of inactivity and was revived as soon as that stopped being the case. It's not one of the two treaties that I am calling out.

And what exactly is your signature FA achievement, Brun. CAIN? Can you really toot that horn anymore? It was a flawed construction from the start to try and force that many regions into a room together, it was held together entirely by your will, which speaks well to your skill on that front, but not to your ability to initiate successful longterm initiatives, and based on everything I've read from your tenure as MoFA (though here, I will grant I've hardly read every relevant thread and since I wasn't here at the time my view doesn't stand for much) I am distinctly unimpressed with your six months in the ministry.

I served as Minister of Foreign Affairs from July 3rd, 2016 until January 28th, 2017.

This time frame featured the following:
Repeal of the Ainur-Europeia Treaty amid a coup that decimated the region

A Succesful, if Brief, Accord of Collaboration Between KoA-Europeia
A Successful Accord of Partnership Between the UK-Europeia

This was followed by CAIN, an effort which established Europeia as a leader in the minds of people beyond Europeia and reestablished us at the forefront of the diplomatic community. I was working on this project with no support and still managed to bring cooperation from 30 different regions, garnered enough support for the second offensive liberation in SC history to pass with 78% of all SC votes, organized one of the largest military operations in modern NS history with over 140 participants in total on one common side, and afterwards garnered enough support for the repeal of said liberation to pass with 90% of the vote, effectively ending one of the largest military operations in modern NS history. After this, I worked directly with 20+ regional representatives to draft a treaty that satisfied all of them with minimal support and created a treaty that, even if only for a limited time, united regions which have never worked together in a common goal. Doing this established Europeia as a leader of the fight against Nazism and as a well heard voice in Foreign Affairs.

I reject the idea that I attempted to force any regions into one room. I tried to work with a variety of regions, some of which hated us, and succeeded. This success was impeded only by a lack of support and the constant attacks of other members of the Coalition, namely TGW, by Joshua Ravenclaw that led to an environment of doubt and distrust.

After this, I was attacked by the founder of TAS. This led to the termination of our treaty and also ended with Europeia exerting some of its newfound influence to see TAS removed as host of one of NationStates premier events: the World Fair.

Through all of this, I developed a strong relationship with The West Pacific, a relationship that continues to this day not only for Europeia but for me as well.

You can say that CAIN failed in the long run, and that's true. It has. But that doesn't negate the good that it did for Europeia both while it was operating and while it was starting to go downhill. Before CAIN, Europeia had ceased to be the most prominent voice in the Independent Sphere as Europeia experienced one of its worst Foreign Affairs stretches in its modern history from 2013 to 2016. 2016 saw us making big strides to get back to that point and it was CAIN that took us over the edge. Even if it was brief, it allowed us to re-emerge as one of the preeminent regions of NationStates and that didn't fail because I was incapable, it failed when it wasn't realized that a lack of leadership support from Europeia could not continue to work once I was gone. It wasn't that effort was put into the organization only for it not to cooperate, it's that no effort was put into the organization and it was expected to function without initiative.

Now, that isn't to say that I don't hold any blame. I should have limited the initial pool of people invited despite the prevelant concerns about it seeming exclusionary. I should have also badgered people about helping me with establishing the infastructure.

Darc is part of the school of thought that considers the DTC meaningless - a school of thought that includes a great many successful politicians, presidents and MoFAs.

The MoJ, Radio, The Navy, The CA, Internships, The Senate, and Integration all give, or have given, some focus on teaching Europeians and many of them have succeeded in those efforts. Yet somehow the idea that educating the staff in FA is useless exists. I supposed its believers expect people to simply learn on the fly, ignoring the period of time where doing so led Europeia's foreign presence to wither and die as we asked "Why aren't we more Influential?" or "What can we do to be more prominent?" A lack of teaching and developing our FA staff is exactly what has led to a continually dwindling sphere of influence. They expect people whose only experience in NationStates is domestically serving Europeia without any interaction with unfriendly ideologies or education about such ideologies to be able to represent our ideals and our agenda.

That's not good enough. We need to be teaching people about the world around us, encouraging them to experience things outside of their bubble, and developing a better informed community of FA policy leaders instead of throwing newcomers into the lion's den and then ripping them apart when they don't live up to the standards of those who refuse to educate them.

Brunhilde said:

The MoJ, Radio, The Navy, The CA, Internships, The Senate, and Integration all give, or have given, some focus on teaching Europeians and many of them have succeeded in those efforts. Yet somehow the idea that educating the staff in FA is useless exists. I supposed its believers expect people to simply learn on the fly, ignoring the period of time where doing so led Europeia's foreign presence to wither and die as we asked "Why aren't we more Influential?" or "What can we do to be more prominent?" A lack of teaching and developing our FA staff is exactly what has led to a continually dwindling sphere of influence. They expect people whose only experience in NationStates is domestically serving Europeia without any interaction with unfriendly ideologies or education about such ideologies to be able to represent our ideals and our agenda.

That's not good enough. We need to be teaching people about the world around us, encouraging them to experience things outside of their bubble, and developing a better informed community of FA policy leaders instead of throwing newcomers into the lion's den and then ripping them apart when they don't live up to the standards of those who refuse to educate them.
Having resources for interested folks to learn from is important, but formal training is a waste of time and resources--the results show it. The people who succeed in foreign affairs are self-taught and have generally spent a fair amount of time in regions outside of Europeia, reading gameplay, and/or building connections. That can be encouraged, but not taught.

You're right, the Navy does it, and other ministries do it as well. But foreign affairs is a unique animal because it is not technical. It comes with more curves, roadblocks, and surprises than nearly anything else we do here, and one can only begin to anticipate those with experience. We can provide background information, names, histories... but all of that is purely theoretical.

At the end of your six months as Minister of Foreign Affairs, your training regimen was put to the test. Even more so after your resignation. If training worked, after six months we would have a crop of capable leaders and policymakers. Your hand-picked successor, Kuramia, led the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

It didn't work. Kuramia had the technical knowledge of how to run a Ministry, indeed, she had succeeded in the Ministry of Communications before. But she didn't have the experience, was in over her head, and she was left adrift. She was failed by the people who put her there. The signature accomplishment was a treaty with KoGB, which I understand was something you had laid the groundwork for, which turned out to be a complete boondoggle. The people with experience had to come back in and right the course.

Success in foreign affairs builds on previous success and doesn't recover from setbacks overnight. Darcness has been instrumental in building new relationships for Europeia, expanding our influence into younger UCRs and broadening the reach of the Independent Manifesto.

We need a new strategy for developing the next generation of FA leaders, and the first step is being honest about what we can't do for them. The next is helping them find their own path for success with oversight and guidance.

The signature accomplishment was a treaty with KoGB, which I understand was something you had laid the groundwork for, which turned out to be a complete boondoggle. The people with experience had to come back in and right the course.

The Non-Aggression Pact, a treaty which put a grand total of zero pressure on Europeia, was announced nearly after my resignation. While I advocated for the treaty, it was not a treaty which I "laid the groundwork for." Furthermore, it turned into a "complete boondoggle" only once information(now publicly available thanks to said leak) from the EAAC was leaked to the KGB. This information from the EAAC, by the way, was my argument that we should leave the treaty with KGB as a result of their decision to remove a ban on a member that had been an important part of that NAP ever being a consideration.

At the end of your six months as Minister of Foreign Affairs, your training regimen was put to the test.

Well, no. It wasn't. My training regimen was incomplete at the end of six months. My training regimen consisted of three parts: information, modules, and mentoring. The information is still incomplete and parts of what is complete remain outdated, the modules are just over halfway done, and mentoring had not been implemented. It's hard to put a training regimen to the test when it's partway finished.

"Then why didn't you finish it?"

CAIN began in earnest partway into my second term. By that time, I had lost support in the project as Klatonia disappeared and as Cat discovered her love of Radio while Carrot had reminded himself that he hated being a Minister. Given the demanding nature of both, and a lack of volunteers with experience to help me develop lectures and information along with a lack of support in CAIN, I dedicated my time to CAIN as it was more immediately impactful on our region's foreign agenda. Thus the time I did have for the DTC went into trying to get people to write lectures that never happened and writing modules that never got completely finished.

Darcness has been instrumental in building new relationships for Europeia, expanding our influence into younger UCRs and broadening the reach of the Independent Manifesto.

It must have been difficult to get Plembobria, a former Delegate of The North Pacific and believer in Independence, and Kylia, Queen to one of our oldest allies and longtime proponent of Europeia's Foreign Agena, to sign the Independent Manifesto.

As for expanding our influence into younger UCRs: what? We've signed two new treaties with Merridel and the Britannian Kingdom. Both of them have yielded nothing.

We haven't helped TBK with their dispatches, nor do I believe they have helped us with ours and according to the Minister of Comms we haven't done anything to help them with their Media Development. They also haven't established a media presence in our region with their newspaper receiving no posts in its month-old history.

Merridel has engaged in exactly 0 missions with us in the 101 days since it was signed.

Unless there's another young UCR that we've built a friendship with unbeknownst to the rest of Europeia, I don't really see it.

Writinglegend as MoFA didn't exactly continue any efforts with the DTC either - this is a pattern of 'neglect' for the DTC that predates Darc significantly, and he can only do what the President has ordered him to in the last two terms. Very few people in the last few elections have really been in favor of thr DTC. This is not a Darc exclusive problem.

And maybe you did refocus your efforts, fine, but you still had three whole terms - maybe you should have come up with something simpler? As a region, we've tried having projects that needed three terms to bear fruit, and often, they really don't.

I think the basic idea of the DTC is at least broadly sound, but saying Darc's tenure as MoFA is a failure in part because its unused is problematic at best - because nobody knew it wasn't finished! We were all operating under the assumption you were basically done with it.

I left Module Three without an answer key. WL, Kuramia, and I left indication privately that other parts weren't complete. My speeches laid out plans for more work. There was at least some indication that it wasn't complete, though admittedly I should take the time to write out every plan I had.

As for why I didn't go with something simpler, it's because I don't believe something simple would be enough. Given the complexity of foreign affairs, I thought the Ministry needed a DTC that could account for that complexity. The previous system was simple, if extremely unorganized, and I didn't feel that it had done anything.

I had benefitted from learning from NES as a Deputy. He gave me mini-scenarios, historical and current information, and mentorship as I served alongside him as Sinker Deputy. As a result, I wanted to develop a DTC that was better than the one I had and to do that I relied on ideas developed as a result of my experiences with NES.

And yet, before the DTC, we produced a great many successful MoFAs, so perhaps we didn't need something as complicated as you think we do?

Kylia Quilor said:
And yet, before the DTC, we produced a great many successful MoFAs, so perhaps we didn't need something as complicated as you think we do?
Things haven't been all sunshine and roses without it. We have struggled quite a bit, especially in maintaining our influence and staying as the leader of the Independent Sphere. We've fallen quite a bit from where we were at the end of 2013.

I'm not trying to say that we've been terrible without formalized training or that it's a guaranteed fix for all of our problems. We've had good leaders and nothing in FA is a guarantee. I just believe that we can do more to help our region in developing leaders for our the Ministry.

More, yes, but is something as complicated and - by your own admission, difficult to make work and complete - as the DTC really the most effective way to go about doing it? Can we really put FA training on an assembly line and lesson plan?

Kylia Quilor said:
More, yes, but is something as complicated and - by your own admission, difficult to make work and complete - as the DTC really the most effective way to go about doing it? Can we really put FA training on an assembly line and lesson plan?
I don't believe I've said that it's difficult to make work or complete. It was certainly difficult to complete in the midst of working on CAIN, but I don't believe that to be a normal situation.

As for if it is the most effective way, I have no idea. We have two comparisons to make: before the DTC existed and before it was restructured. I think it would be more effective than both of those, at the very least, though there may likely be a more effective version in the future.

Back