EBC Exclusive: Onward No More - Senator To Resign

EBC Exclusive: Onward No More - Senator To Resign
By Punchwood

Senator Whitmark has confirmed to the EBC that he intends to resign from the Europeia Senate in a matter of days. He and Speaker Pichtonia have already discussed his resignation. The Senator’s announcement comes just a short time after his twelve-day LoA, which already prompted speculation that he may resign. In an interview he gave to the EBC he said that he was finding less time for Europeia and that he hoped to see another newcomer succeed him. Below is our interview with Senator Whitmark.

Punchwood: When do you intend to resign from the Senate?

Whitmark: After the cabinet nominations are confirmed.

Punchwood: Why are you resigning from the Senate?

Whitmark: I don't find time for Euro these days, something that makes me unhappy because I would like to be active.

Punchwood:
Who would you like to see as your successor? A newcomer, a former Senator, an older player?

Whitmark:
As a newcomer myself, I would like someone new succeed.

Punchwood: Anyone in particular?

Whitmark: I think somebody like Johnny Costello, who has been very active writing articles for comms and various other roles, is a good pick for the Senate.

Punchwood: Do you hope to return to the Senate at some point in the future?

Whitmark:
Perhaps when I have enough time for euro.

Punchwood: Senator Whitmark, thank you for your time.

Whitmark: Thank you, Punch.

Senator Whitmark resigns just as this Senate term reaches its midpoint. The by-election to choose his successor is likely to be competitive as a result, with people like Johnny Costello and former Senators Comrade Prim and Kari all likely contenders in the upcoming race. Senator Whitmark, perhaps unsurprisingly, made clear his preferred successor is his former Senate substitute Johnny Costello. How much influence the outgoing Senator has is yet to be seen, however, having the endorsement of the outgoing Senator could put Johnny Costello in a strong position should he decide to enter the race. He has recently served as a Senate substitute as well as a Deputy in the Ministry of Communications and this experience, combined with Whitmark’s endorsement will at the very least put Johnny in a far better position than when he first ran for Senate.

Another likely contender is the former Senator Comrade Prim, who just recently announced that he will be returning full time to the region. He has been active recently, beginning discussions in the Grand Hall about possible changes to the region and he has also founded a new organisation along with others titled “Europeians for Reform” which aims to suggest various ideas for reform in the region. An opportunity such as this to re-enter frontline politics is likely to entice him and he would certainly be a formidable contender with many in the region being profoundly impressed at his last term in the Senate.

The final most probable contender to enter the race is former Senator Kari. She did not seek re-election to the Senate after serving in the previous term yet has remained active in the legislative sphere, proposing amendments in the Citizens’ Assembly as well as getting involved in discussions surrounding other proposed amendments. She can prove to be a sometimes divisive figure and this may hinder her chances of winning but at a time where fewer people are actively participating in the legislative process her continual engagement may be attractive to voters. If she was to enter the race, she could also become a formidable candidate.

GraVandius must also be mentioned as a possible contender, having said in the #election_disscussion chat that he would enter the next Senate election. He is not listed as a likely contender however due to the fact that he has said he has limited time for Europeia at the moment and when he announced his intentions to run in the next Senate election he may not have expected such an opportunity to arise so soon. Even so, as a former Speaker he could be well placed to provide a real challenge to anyone else who ran.

The upcoming by-election is sure to provide more excitement for Europeians than the recently concluded Presidential election, which disappointed many with just one ticket running. Whoever does win will have a half term in the Senate as a reward, and for those who might run and loose, a strong performance in the by-election would provide the perfect springboard in which to run in the general election.

Ooooh speculation hyper.gif I hope there'll be a few interesting candidacies for this one

Thank you or your service, Whitmark. It was pleasant to serve with you.

Great article! Who knows, there could be other potential contenders as well ^_^

This is lovely! Really breaking news! Great job!

Sorry to see Whitmark resign, but I have been there and done that. We'll be waiting for you when you're ready to step into the role again!

This is a excellent article. I will not be running for the reasons stated. I will not that generally half-a-terms have been great opportunities for newer members to get a shot at proving themselves in the Senate. I hope that is the case this election.

Back