August Pre-Standing Presidential Poll Analysis

Calvin Coolidge

Spellcaster
Forum Administrator
Honoured Citizen
Citizen
From August 18th-20th, this poll was open, and received a total of thirty responses. The data from this poll has been put together in one place for your viewing pleasure. Before we get into the data, I'd like to extend a hearty thanks to Seymour for volunteering to help analyze the data so we could release this piece in a more timely manner. And now, without further ado, here we go.

Mean: 6.23
Mode: 7

While a slim majority of the respondents across all three relevant questions believe that Trinn had a positive impact on the region, a fairly equal portion of commenters state that the term was a disappointment, and that his resignation is continuing a concerning activity pattern.

• Poor communication and overall poor leadership.
  • A lot of the work he did wasn't visible. Integration understandably had some issues after the Integration choices fell through (note: this is Kaboom answering), but those responsibilities were picked up by HEM and Rand.
  • Trinnien was pretty 'okay' He wasn't bad-- but he also wasn't great. It's really hard to say since he resigned half-way through the term. Between this and his Chair-ship resignation I wonder if he'll be running for anything any time soon.
  • Trinn is a fantastic people person and had a good relationship with all of his subordinates unfortunately activity heavily plagued the term. The setback of Kaboom right at the beginning of the term probably resulted in the lack of major integration projects early in this term. Sopo's resignation probably put Culture back a few weeks but Pichto pulled through remarkably. Also
  • Trinn's own activity probably hindered progress among all of the ministries on top of the setbacks.
  • Trinnien was hit with some real life shit, but was a solid President. Term wasn't amazing extraordinary, but kudos to him for the hard work.
  • Was not surprised by his resignation. Unimpressed with his term. Always talks a good game, but delivered little this time and then resigned. Feels like he just wanted to prove he could win, given his absence immediately prior.
  • Sad to see him go.
  • he liked muffins alot so i liked him
  • Trinnien is a good guy but he's becoming reliably unreliable.
  • This is a hard score for me. I want to rank him lower because this term was lackluster and he resigned, but at the same time, I think that he's a nice guy in general.
  • Which member of the executive? This is super-confusing ... ??? If this was meant to be asking about Trinn (even though it's listed before the question about Trinn), I think he set up a good team and had a good plan for the term. Unfortunately, life interfered and he wasn't able to see it through.

Average: 5.93
Mode: 7

Only half of the respondents feel “positive” about HEM’s contributions this term. HEM also receives the largest raw amount of “negative” feelings. Many state his Vice President term was too focused on the Intern Project, and feel too much time was put into the project during his Presidency, as well.

• The Intern Program has seen no progress.
  • Hasn't been in office long enough to really pass judgment on him. Ido believe the Senate shouldn't have rejected Rand the first time around.
  • The intern program is a repeat of things that were not too successful previously. We need something to perform this role, but it needs a substantial overhaul to address the problems we already knew about.
  • HEM entirely botched a full week arguing with the Senate over a position that is meaningless and useless because of a program that hasn't and won't be effective. I have never been so excited to get a Presidency behind us.
  • The CSO Internship program has been a moderate success and was largely achieved in tandem with Rand but it was far to much the focus of his energies and probably hindered other progress. I'll put other relevant comments under CSP's thread as it's related.
  • Stepped up when he had to when Trinnien resigned. Followed through on campaign promises where Trinn didn't.
  • Incredibly disappointing. Multiply the disappoint Trinnien left with by two.
  • I have the same issue here as above. HEM is a good person but this administration has been lackluster. It has been truly disappointing and HEM's term in office hasn't really been great outside of his single-point focus on an issue and project that hasn't managed to fully make it off the ground.
  • It's strange to see HEM in the Presidential seat, which hasn't happened during my time in Europeia before. He's had some false starts as he was unexpectedly thrown into the Presidency, but I think he's done well getting up to speed and helping the Cabinet get their work done more effectively.

Mean: 7.86
Mode: 10

93% of respondents had overall positive feelings about Brunhilde’s term as Minister of Foreign Affairs. What’s interesting to note here is that Brun is one of only two Cabinet members who didn’t receive any “negative” votes at all.

• Pretty good.
  • I'm a bit confused about her statements in response to the midterm poll that suggest there isn't much to do. I think she or other members of the executive are probably doing a lot in fa the problem is we never see clear results or any information, so it's sometimes hard to tell if anything is happening or not until well after the term is over, but fa needs to try to mitigate that problem.
  • It's great to see a clearly defined plan for FA.
  • Brunhilde has done a great job as MOFA. I know that there's going to be a bunch of people that rate her lower on the scale because she's not constantly hammering out new treaties or telling everyone, very publicly, exactly what's happening to the T. But, none the less, she's been doing great work behind the scenes. Especially in training her Deputies and Assistant Ministers. Honestly, Brunhilde is one of those MOFA's that we should be proud of and continue to invest in. She did well.
  • Not in FA
  • Brun has been doing amazing stuff in terms of making MoFA a newcomer-friendly department. Easily one of our best Ministers.
  • Didn't see too much on the FA front, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Brun is always competent and willing to serve.
  • Brunhilde has done well I suppose. I'm not in the faoreign affairs programs so I can't say for sure but she's been a good admin on discord?
  • brunbrun<3 she has done a pretty good job in Foreign Affairs. I always like to see someone "new" besides the usual faces. I hope we continue to invest in her as Minister.
  • She's done a lot of good things, overall, and has set up a good training program. There's definitely room for improvement as she's relatively new in this position, but I am encouraged thus far with her attitude and aptitude.

Mean: 6.93
Mode: 8

Respondents seem to feel largely positive about GraV’s term but he still lags behind the 70+% positives some of his fellow Cabinet members receive. Many commenters were happy about the population boom that came from imgur, but hesitate to give the credit to an otherwise quiet Ministry, and specifically point to a lack of Integration focus.

• No Integration focus.
  • Recruitment great again with the League, integration coming along.
  • Good efforts it fits and starts, but quiet overall.
  • I don't really know what to say here. GraV didn't do a bad job, but... we relied way too much on the imgur bubble and now that's being popped. From 1850 nations to 1500. Our +600 nation boom has been halved, and is continuing to drop. It's great that we celebrated hitting new historical highs for our national numbers, but are we going to also celebrate hitting new historical highs for nation dropoff? I think that this term has been a little bit of a bust for Interior overall. Their success relied far too much on one singular happenstance and the complete lack of integration still exists.
  • Overall I think this has been a good term. The late bloom of integration projects combined with consistently awesome recruitment throughout makes him one of the better ministers for me.
  • Solid. Got bump from imgur boom, and got burned by the imgur CTE. He works hard and it shows.
  • good. lots of nations. but no integrations.
  • Grav has been quiet this term but his recruitment league was interesting. He definitely deserves credit for our stabilized population.
  • Great recruitment efforts from this ministry, but still not seeing much in terms of integration or retention efforts from a public side. Is this getting any attention?

Mean: 7.63

Only one person rated Pichtonia’s contributions as leaving them with a negative feeling, overwhelmingly it seems the region approves of his job. Many were impressed with Pichto’s performance given his time in office, and the EurOlympics program in particular was singled out as a highlight of the term.

• Good with what he has.
  • He came in late, but we still didn't see much beyond the Olympics which really seem to be just another typical cultural event.
  • EurOlympics was good. Hopefully the revamp of Weekend Games goes well.
  • Had a hard task coming in halfway through the term as a green minister, and doesn't seem to have had much support.
  • Pichtonia came into office nearly midway through the term and has really poured himself into it. EurOlympics was a great idea. We'll see how it's turned out, but it is really pumping some non-spam activity into the region, so it's really cool to see that. For a first time Culture Minister I think we should really be proud of the job Pichto has done, and I think he should be given another shot at the Office from start to finish.
  • Euro Olympics are fantastic. For a first time minister this half term has been incredibly impressive and I hope that the next administration brings him back.
  • Pich is still getting his sea-legs as a leader I think. A solid first performance, but room to improve when it comes to implementing new ideas. The Olympic festival was good, even if not extraordinary.
  • Pichto had big shoes to filled and did a surprisingly good job trying to fill them.
  • I will give Pichtonia a little higher than I usually would have because I really do feel like he should be given a little wiggle room. His term in office hasn't been particularly wonderful or absolutely amazing but he's really poured himself into the job and has given it his all. I acknowledge that.
  • Picto has done a great job jumping into Culture mid-term and trying to get things accomplished while still finding his way around. The EurOlympics have gone excellently, and he's got a bunch of great new ideas to try out as well. I hope that he stays in Culture next term.

Mean: 7.63

Kuramia receives a 68% positive ranking so far this term, with only 1 respondent marking negative. Many commenters feel that the term was a good effort, but could have benefitted from more text articles.

• We need to seriously figure out what the audience and purpose of dispatches and social media are because reposting information that is available on the forums is unessarry, but that seems to be what we are doing.
  • Mixlr is picking up, and the second half of the term has seen some excellent written output.
  • Kuramia, as usual, does a great job when she has vision and direction. I'm glad she was able to provide herself with that this term since the Administration seemed to lack any of those.
  • A Solid term from Kuramia.
  • Solid, disappointed in the lack of print media, however.
  • Always able to get the job done. Not her best term, but well done.
  • Kuramia is excellent as always in Communications. I'd like to see her in a different arena in a different administration. I hope she's not pigeonholed into Comms.
  • The Mixlr content this term has been fantastic!!

Mean: 7.13
Mode: 6

Similarly to Kuramia and Pichto, only one person gives Malashaan a negative mark while others overwhelmingly give him positives. The few poll takers that chose to comment on Malashaan mention that there has been much public activity to judge, but are giving him the benefit of the doubt.

• I mean, mal does a good job I guess but what have we really seen?
  • Most of the AG's job is to advise the president on legal matters since there is rarely anything to prosecute. So it's pretty hard to tell how good of a job he's doing.
  • As always, Mala is awesome.
  • Good. Mal. Always.

Mean: 8.50
Mode: 9

WL is the only other Cabinet member besides Brunhilde to receive 0 negative markings. His 90% score for positive is similar to Brun’s. This continues a series of impressive approval ratings for WL, and was the only member to achieve a score over 8.

• Who would've guessed that one of WL's best accomplishments would be Grand Admiral? WL should be given high praise for all the work he has done, especially in this term. We've been doing a record number of operations. It's truly remarkable.
  • another solid term from WL
  • Tons of military activity this term, major kudos to WL and the entire Navy.
  • WLOLOLOL! Go WL!
  • Gleg =D! Gleg has done so fantastically.

Mean: 5.43

Among the Administration CSP receives the least support for leaving respondents with a positive feeling, his negatives almost coupled to the positives while his neutral rating hits half of respondents. Some comments question his promotion to Vice President, citing his lackluster Chief of Staff performance, with many confused what his contributions were this term.

• What did he even do?
  • He did what exactly?
  • Didn't see much of him until he got nominated to VP.
  • Hard to know what he did
  • Hard to say. I guess he did ok as Chief of Staff? But who knows? And it's way too early to tell with VP.
  • CSP has always seemed kind of gruff ,from the outside. His heavy handed leadership style combined with the need-to-be-refined Ideas of HEM result in the feeling of being excluded from any part of the decision making process. This is especially when the more input is DEFINITELY needed. I respect them both on their own immensely but forcing new, did/not agree to this when I signed up, programs on people weeks before the end of a term is never a smart idea. I respect HEM and I think his ideas always are at least the start of great things (for example the EAA was in a way the start of the universal membership movement in the CA) but those ideas sometimes need to be refined not immediately implemented. Furthermore the traditional VP role is to go around and help all the ministries, I have not seen CSP do this either and have been disappointed by his time as VP overall. As Chief of Staff however he was a great fit which is why I gave hime a 5. That was a perfect job for him and his style of doing things.
    He can get aggressive at times, but he really stepped up this term — especially as VP. Good work CSp
  • Surprising nomination to be VP. Disappointing VP. Good Chief of Staff.
  • Overall I think Common-Sense Politics has done a good job. It seems like he hasn't quite found his footing in the VP area. I really don't understand why HEM picked him to be VP, as he seemed to be doing a far better job behind the scenes as Chief of Staff. Either way, Common-Sense Politics is a decent guy.
  • CSP helped to explain some of what he's been working on this term during his Senate confirmation for VP. Good to get a better idea of what MwP had meant previously and seeing what he offered to the current administration.

Mean: 5.96

Rand manages to eek out one more vote in the positive putting his marks squarely at 40%, while nearly a quarter of respondents feel they’ve been left with negative feelings. Many commenters cite the Senate battle as a negative experience in their rating, though there is a vocal group that supports the Senate’s “side”. There’s also a large portion that feels there just hasn’t been enough information so far in the term to judge Rand’s performance.

• Just starting.
  • CSO still seems poorly planned and developed. It doesn't seem like it will work out.
  • Disappointed by the way the Senate handled his confirmation. Rand was definitely qualified and it's not the Senate's job to shape Executive policy.
  • Too soon to tell
  • A colossal and unnecessary fuck up.
  • His work on the CSO program has been good. I think we need to organize it so there is more outreach to get more newcomers involved in the program. I definetly think that is should be continued and fine tuned by the next administration.
  • Rand has been working his ass off, and deserved better than he got from the Senate imo.
  • The Senate was correct to deny Rand his nomination. Rand is personally ill-equipped to be a Minister in any form, especially one that works with newcomers and is supposed to be friendly. All of my interactions with him have been peppered with hotheaded responses and sniping. It was truly disappointing to see the executive branch engage in the name calling they did. Mouse's responses were especially disappointing.
  • Rand is a nice guy but not the guy who needed to be leading this project.
  • It's too soon to get too big of an idea of what Rand has done since the delays of his confirmation meant that he's been on the job for ... less than a week, I think? I hope to get more information as the term winds down.

Mean: 6.5

Only about half of the respondents feel that the administration, overall, has left them feeling positive with their contributions. Many describe the term as solid given the circumstances, without much progress.

• What is new? Nothing. No progress isn't okay just because you didn't fall back. Stagnation is the death of regions.
  • Not visible enough.
  • Some solid developments. Just need to make it clearer what the plan is, and improve cohesion between the ministries.
  • This administration has great highs (Brunhilde, Pichtonia, Kuramia, and WL) and huge, huge lows (Rand, Trinn, HEM). I give the administration a solid 5, and only that high because the four I mentioned deserve credit for the good they're doing. The rest just... nah.
  • Solid performance, under the circumstances. Maybe not the wholesale change that was promised, but everyone should be proud.
  • Really a mixed bag of nuts. Hard to really say what the standout successes were. Truly just a "meh" term. This is truly the "sequel" term. The original Trinnien term was much better. Then they tried to make a sequel and it was pretty shitty. We got Sharknado'ed
  • Overall good, but communication with the region about what they're working on could be improved upon overall.

Averages:

Highest to lowest:
  • Writinglegend: 8.50
  • Brunhilde: 7.86
  • Pichtonia: 7.63
  • Kuramia: 7.63
  • Malashaan: 7.13
  • (Mathematical Average: 7.05)
  • GraVandius: 6.93
  • (Rated Term Average: 6.5)
  • Trinnien: 6.23
  • Rand: 5.96
  • HEM: 5.93
  • Common-Sense Politics: 5.43

Brunhilde and Writinglegend come out the strongest with nearly every respondent saying they’d reconfirm them. Pichtonia, Kuramia, and Malashaan all rank into the next category with more than 2/3rds of the respondents agreeing with their nominations. GraV falls squarely into a coin flip, while Rand is the only nominee that the majority of respondents say they wouldn’t want re-nominated.

• Not exactly sure what it is that they do here.
  • There needs to be a more defined role for Rand. He currently seems to be a minister "without portfolio" who has a definite but very vaguely defined portfolio.
  • I'd confirm them all, though there's usually some merits in moving people around. GraV and Kura could maybe use some experience in other areas of the Cabinet. Rand really needs at least one more term to get the CSO program going, if we really want to give it a fair shake. (After all, the Ministry of Foreign Cultivation got ... 3 or 4 terms, I think?) ofc if the next President doesn't mesh well with a particular Minister, they might want to go in a different direction somewhere, but I don't think any of them should not be brought back because of a lack of performance in their Ministry this term.

Less than quarter of respondents believe the CSO has been a success, while nearly half of respondents believe that the CSO Internship program hasn’t lived up to the hype. Many stated that the program was not run properly, but has potential. Seeing this number together with Rand’s approval rating puts the future of the program in question for future terms.

• Poor leadership overall and it needs better communication.
  • So far, it was rather weak, but it's still too early for a decisive answer.
  • Where are all the interns?
  • Poorly planned implementation of a flawed idea.
  • Get it up and running!
  • It didn't bring anything new to the table. The general idea shouldn't be abandoned, but it needs a total overhaul.
  • Badly. This administration lacked communication from every level of it. The CSO Internship Program was no exception to that rule. An unnecessary amount of focus and time went into a program that only 4 people took part of. That's not success, that's just a pet project gone awry. It's failed, let's move forward.
  • "I think we need to organize it so there is more outreach to get more newcomers involved in the program. I definetly think that is should be continued and fine tuned by the next administration."
  • Let's admit that it's been a failure and look for something that works. More than just a pet project.
  • Still a work in progress, but the fact that we are trying something is a +1 in my book.
  • It's early. It's a good first step, and I hope that some things have been learned through trial and error this term and that additional changes and improvements will continue to be made in the remaining weeks and hopefully next term too.
  • it needs to be standardized across all ministries. I agree with Trinnien that ALL new members should be put brought into the internship program as a member retention tool. That being said, you will not keep interns interested with the MoFA internship, and Culture does not really have one set up yet. All of the Ministers, Presidents, etc should meet to standardize the process and make it fun for new members while also teaching them about NationStates and Europeia. Just my two sense from being in the program....

By slimmest of margins a majority of respondents say that the region is on the right track. Also by the same margins, just flipped, we see that HEM would likely lose re-election if he ran for another term. Could there be a wide field next election? Low approval numbers for the top of the ticket may indicate so.

What was the biggest accomplishment this term?
  • The ERN's hold on A Liberal Haven was a huge military success!
  • Excellent response to recruiting opportunities.
  • The biggest accomplishment was also, ironically, the most quickly fading accomplishment which should not bode well to anyone in the administration (Nation #)
  • Nation Reccord
  • CSO Internship program, seeing the executive stick up for itself and fighting for Rand.

What was the biggest disappointment this term?
  • The CSO Internship Program didn't see much progress.
    Culture has become mundane and repetitive. When we get down to celebrating that someone has been in office for a while, we need to rethink what we are doing.
  • Pretty much almost everything. Incredibly disheartening.
  • Losing the Nation Reccord
  • Communication was eh.
  • Fizzled from the start then got worse with the resignation. Never could fully recover.

What surprised you most about this term?
  • Trinnien resigning from the Presidency.
  • The lack of integration efforts after so much focus on it in the election. The fact the intern program was just a rehash of old ideas was not what I expected.
  • How disengaged and seemingly uncaring most of the Cabinet and Executive leadership was on issues of importance. The President and Vice President seemed almost and entirely lackadaisical on issues besides their own pet projects.
  • How good Pichto was.
  • Trinnien resigning lol

What do you think will be the biggest issue in the next election?
  • Bringing more regional residents onto the forum and helping them integrate into the community.
  • New ideas. We need not programs and innovations that needs to be the center of the election.
  • Engaging with integration issues in a meaningful way.
  • From the shape we're in now? Everything.
  • Who will be the next President :p Rofl lol
  • The Internship program and Foreign Affairs
  • What role should the Senate play in confirmation (or refusal to confirm) of Presidential Cabinet nominees? What role should the WA play in FA considerations? What should we be doing to better integrate (and retain) nations on the forum and gameside?

Writinglegend (63.3%), Aexnidaral Seymour (60%), and Brunhilde (56.7%) lead the pack, with Calvin Coolidge also giving a strong showing (43.3%). Meanwhile, only 37% of people would like to see the incumbent President return to office if given other choices.

Final Comments
  • Suck an egg, Calvin.
  • With as bad as this term has been I wonder who will run for President. I doubt anyone of the incumbent P/VP will run to continue their (lack of) "legacy"
  • Quality. Hope no one kills me for my awnsers :p
  • d i c k s o u t f o r h a r a m b e
  • Let's just do better next time, okay?
This poll paints a mixed picture for the current Executive, with the members at the top receiving some of the harshest criticism in recent memory, as well as two members receiving stellar rankings. This should mean a rather interesting next couple of weeks as the Executive finishes up their term, and possibly seeks reelection. We'll have to wait and see just how it all shakes out. Until next time, this is Calvin Coolidge, shaking it off.

Raw Data.

I don't disagree with my numbers, in fact I'm surprised that they are not lower. And no, I will not being running for anything anytime soon. That being said - screw you to anyone that I ever hear saying that somebody sucks or makes light of because they have serious RL issues - I will gladly punch you right in the face.

Hi people, for all those who are griping about how Interior has not done any integration I'd like to direct you to Trinn's Platform Here and find me one Integration effort other than the internship program that would have "hypothetically" been rolled up into my portfolio after Kaboom was shot down as Minister of Integration. It was not untill the midpoint of the term that it became clear that it was nessasary to add to that not a integration portfolio that I had. Thus I devised the Newcomer of the Month program and a other internal (a.k.a non-visible) integration efforts starting from the midpoint of the term.

I'll be giving a in depth review and anlisis of the term in my closing address.

Edit: Sorry for the spelling I'm on my phone.

While a slim majority of the respondents believe that Trinn had a positive impact on the region, a fairly equal portion of commenters state that the term was a disappointment, and that his resignation is continuing a concerning activity pattern.
To me, this is a complete misrepresentation of the numbers.

16 - positive
9 - neutral
5 - negative

How is 5 almost equal to 16?

You can add 9+5 and get 14, which is almost 16, but neutral is not the same thing as negative.

Look, you can spin these numbers however you want, but this sort of questionable analysis (which I'm fairly confident was not intentional but perhaps rather an unconscious bias slipping through) is exactly why when I post MousePoll results, I let the results speak for themselves and let people draw their own conclusions.

Otherwise, you have people calling you out on questionable conclusions. Like this one.

Mousebumples said:
While a slim majority of the respondents believe that Trinn had a positive impact on the region, a fairly equal portion of commenters state that the term was a disappointment, and that his resignation is continuing a concerning activity pattern.

16 - positive
9 - neutral
5 - negative

You can add 9+5 and get 14, which is almost 16, but neutral is not the same thing as negative.

Look, you can spin these numbers however you want, but this sort of questionable analysis (which I'm fairly confident was not intentional but perhaps rather an unconscious bias slipping through) is exactly why when I post MousePoll results, I let the results speak for themselves and let people draw their own conclusions.

Otherwise, you have people calling you out on questionable conclusions. Like this one.
My apologies, the wording there made it sound like we were just talking about the positive-negative question, but I was more talking about the overall rating (which gave him a mean score of about 6) and the comments (which are fairly split), which do paint that picture, in my view. I'll change the wording to more accurately reflect that.

Calvin Coolidge said:
Mousebumples said:

16 - positive
9 - neutral
5 - negative

My apologies, the wording there made it sound like we were just talking about the positive-negative question, but I was more talking about the overall rating (which gave him a mean score of about 6) and the comments (which are fairly split), which do paint that picture, in my view. I'll change the wording to more accurately reflect that.
Thank you for the acknowledgement.

I think you have a serious conflict of interest, considering that you were the opponent going into this current term. As a result, I feel the need to view all of your commentary with a large heaping of salt. Still, I appreciate the polling and the data as presented herein and the efforts of the Panda's Pen to present that information to the public for our dissemination.

Thanks for these data. They will certainly help inform this administration's policy and path forward. Your work is not overlooked here.

I... uhm... did you put one of the comments from the poll into your signature? :ph43r:

Aexnidaral Seymour said:
I... uhm... did you put one of the comments from the poll into your signature? :ph43r:
Sure, the responses seemed public domain. :ph43r:

I don't really understand how I can get a great rating (except for the strange person that rated me a 5) without counting the training program as a big accomplishment. That's probably the only reason I got rated well.

Regardless, I thank people for giving me some good votes (Especially the 7 of you that voted me in at a 10) and would like to thank people for the votes of confidence in voting me up in the Presidential polls.

Sorry to disappoint the nine responders who want to see me run but I have no intentions of striving for the Goldenblock and most likely never will.

Back